PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers tag C Ryan Kalil - not RB DeAngelo Willams or DE Charles Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very interested in both Williams and Johnson on this team.

I really hope that the Pats consider Williams.

Color me interested. I'm firmly in the camp that a RB, a true feature RB, is among the needs we need and he absolutely fits the bill. He's versatile enough to play 3 downs, can grind teams down and take over a game, and while his injury history is lengthy, it's not that scary. Outside of a couple sprains and a broken foot there aren't any major injuries. To me a break isn't a big deal, it happens, it could just as much be bad luck as it is susceptibility to injury.

It all comes down to the dollars(duh), and if they are at all reasonable or he shows some level of interest in coming to New England for a slightly below market deal I hope it gets done.

Re: Panthers tag Kalil, not Willams or Johnson

I confess to watching not a single Panther game last year.

I'd love to sign Williams, but I don't suppose Johnson could play in a 3-4 system?

Williams and Johnson are two of the Panthers best players. Getting either of them is a no brainer. Williams is one of the best RB's in the NFL, if he goes to the Pats I'll be both happy and sad. The Panthers are my number 2 team, and losing Williams will hurt bad. He is a beast of a running back that the Pats need. If he's there for the taking, I think they should take him. To heck with the draft, you're not getting a guy that produces like Williams will next year in the draft.

Schefter and Florio are now reporting that the Panthers are going to place RFA tenders on both Williams and Johnson. They're basing that on info from a Panthers beat reporter: Twitter / Darin Gantt

Florio calls it "a calculated risk, given that the next CBA could push the free-agency needle back to four years, which could then wipe out the tenders. Also, the union likely will contend that the rules of the uncapped year have no relevance to 2011, the first year of the next deal".

Williams has five years of service and Johnson has four, so until the new CBA is finalized it's really difficult to figure out who actually will or will not be a free agent once free agency begins.

Panthers to put RFA tenders on Johnson, Williams | Rock Hill Herald | Darin Gantt | 2/24/11

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back