PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers @ Patriots - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, a troll is by definition bad, someone who just comes into a forum or discussion to stir up ****, so therefore IMO there's no such thing as a "good troll".

Just people who root for the wrong team, however well-intentioned they are otherwise. :D

Pretty much, there is an art to trolling though. So trolls can be considered "good" or "bad" in that sense.

Hey guys, Packer fan
A couple questions for you guys:

-Is BB as cold as he appears?

Not at all. He has a dry sense of humor but hates the general media. Parcells was fun to watch at press conferences because he was one of the few who would abuse the New York and Boston media. Belichick just doesn't want to play with them.

If you watch Belichick talking football instead of gossip, you get a better idea of who he is. Watch him on Patriots All Access when he is just talking football and he drops his guard a little.

-Is Brady as cool, laidback and nice as he appears?

As for cool, obviously. Nice? I haven't met him personally. Laid-back? He is a fierce competitor and takes the game seriously, so I would say no. From all reports, he is very intense.

-What is your view on our team? By that I mean, out here in WI, we have a lot of respect for you guys and strive to be like you. What is the view out there of us, and our players if there is any?

As stated above, I thought the Packers were for real this year with real talent on offense and defense. It is tough not to like the Packers, and I know fans pretty much everywhere I have lived who are fans. Even in the lean years, they have had a solid fan base. Given the small football market in Wisconsin, there really is no team like the Pack. I couldn't even hate the Packers when they beat the Pats in the Super Bowl in 1996 (although I did want the Pats to be the first AFC team in a long time to beat the NFC).

-And finally, how are you guys SO GOOD? Promise not to run it up on us? :p

Brady, Belichick and those who buy into their philosophy. As Lombardi once said, strive for perfection and settle for excellence. The Pats seem to follow that motto as a team.

I doubt BB forgets his boss gift wrapped the game to the Packers before bolting to the Jets.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots got revenge for the SB loss in 2006 with a 35 - 0 destruction of the Packers at Lambeau.

They knocked both Favre AND Rodgers out of the game. Rodgers actually broke his foot and was IRed. My in-laws are Packers season ticket holders and graciously allowed me to attend the game...it was awesome. :D

BB doesn't hate the media (although he could be said to have disdain for them) he just avoids them, and gives out answers or statements that one would be hard put to use against him or as bulletin board material. Unlike most people in the NFL, he seems to realize that the media isn't on anyone's side and is only after a story, whether or not it hurts the subject of the story.

The less fodder they have, the less distraction he has, and the more he can focus on his job. However, in the right place and at the right time, with the right writer, he does open up from time to time.

distain... hate. Maybe i used the wrong word but you get what i mean. He has no time for anyone in pressers because he views alot of the questions to be irrelevant to the football game e.g "really that is the big story this week? the jets want to beat the pats" And yeah i agree with the right time subject and writer he opens up thats why i said to check out patriots.com where he does great stuff like the bellicheck breakdown every week.

Call me crazy but apart from a few completions and the PI Butler and Arrington were OK against the Bears on the weekend. If McCourty needs the rest give it to him.

I have been thinking this too. More playing time for butler (and hopefully a confidence boost) can only mean good things for our depth come playoff time.

Really hopes he does a good job and maybe comes away with a couple PD's or an INT

The Packers defense will be another tough defense to face. But, let's be honest here, Brady has been regularly torching defenses like the Packers as of late. The real worry here is whether or not the Packers offense is going to be able to keep up with us. That strongly depends on Rodgers playing and his level of play after the concussion.

Early predictions are for snow showers Sunday night. Yeah baby!

As far as McCourty, I was working all day so I haven't gotten caught up. But last I heard on my way in this morning was that Gresh and Zo's sources said he was fine.

Packer fans tired of Jets act. Much props to the Pats in this thread. Hard not to like their classy fans. Now don"t be doo-bags and jump on them because they predicted a difficult game for the Pats against the Bears. Leave the BS smack talk for the team in the ugly green uni's! :D

JETS - PackerChatters

edit: The Green with the white helmets that is.

Last edited:
Football Outsiders' stats have this as the best pass defense we've faced, second only in the NFL to the NYG. However they can be run on and Football Outsiders has them 20th in the league defending passes to the TE. That's the beauty of our pass offense, we can attack a defense in any way. Anyway, the running game and TE seems to be the way to attack the defense, the way their pass defense is, this looks like the last chance for a "bluepring" to stop our offense before the playoffs as Miami and Buffalo rank far lower.

Football Outsiders' stats have this as the best pass defense we've faced, second only in the NFL to the NYG. However they can be run on and Football Outsiders has them 20th in the league defending passes to the TE. That's the beauty of our pass offense, we can attack a defense in any way. Anyway, the running game and TE seems to be the way to attack the defense, the way their pass defense is, this looks like the last chance for a "bluepring" to stop our offense before the playoffs as Miami and Buffalo rank far lower.
Honestly, I think we are going to keep attacking teams with the same sh*t until someone show some sign of being able to stop it...

I know this sounds like 2007 where that kinda cost us a superbowl, but this year's team is much less vulnerable to different defensive strengths: we get the ball out too quick for the pass rush, can move the chains with both run and pass, we field more quality recieving weapons than anyone has quality coverage players, we can show the same formations on 1st down and run about 100 different plays because of the versatility of our TEs & RBs...

Honestly, I think we are going to keep attacking teams with the same sh*t until someone show some sign of being able to stop it...

I know this sounds like 2007 where that kinda cost us a superbowl, but this year's team is much less vulnerable to different defensive strengths: we get the ball out too quick for the pass rush, can move the chains with both run and pass, we field more quality recieving weapons than anyone has quality coverage players, we can show the same formations on 1st down and run about 100 different plays because of the versatility of our TEs & RBs...

Personally i think the bears D had some good series against the pats...Sniffed out alot of the wide runs and screens for tackles for loss. They tightened up a bit in the 2nd half too. Don't forget brady had 3 balls tipped also.

Sunday weather could be interesting. From Channel 7 blog:

At this point, we're about 90% anticipation and 10% forecasting. It's just too far out - and the weather maps are too spread out - to make a reasonable forecast. That said, the potential is not for a few flurries or a couple of inches...it's for a major snowstorm, with possible rain at the coast. This could be a classic heavy snow setup, likened to some of the biggies in recent memory. Only thing is (and this is causing me some angst) with the maps showing a perfect storm nailing us this far out, chances are it may not happen. Most often, events like this start off as possibilities and "what-ifs" and then evolve into major events as the day draws near. To have a major storm drop in our laps 5 days out is unusual and suspect.

WHDH-TV NBC Boston - Weather Blog

In case anyone is interested in what the preliminary games are:

2010 week 15 - Everything you need to know about sports on television - the506.com

On TV in New England it will be Jags at Colts early on CBS, Eagles at Giants early on Fox, and Jets at Steelers late on CBS.

Daily Weather Forecast for Gillette Stadium - weather.com

As for the weather, right now the forecast is for temperature in the 20's with wind from the NW at 7 MPH. During the day about a 30% chance of snow, dropping to 10% chance in the evening.

Edit ... just saw Uncle Rico's comment, never mind.

Some views on the Packers from Wisconsin

Packers offensive line seeks rebound - JSOnline

But if the Packers' offensive line can't block any better than it did against the Lions, it probably won't matter who is under center: Rodgers, Flynn or Joe Montana.

The Packers (8-5) will have a tough enough time winning at Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots (11-2) have won 26 consecutive games. A repeat of the disastrous showing by the offensive line will make victory all but impossible.

The line was so badly manhandled by the Lions' front four that three running backs gained 31 yards in 15 carries (2.06 average), two quarterbacks were sacked four times and the offense produced just 258 yards and one field goal.
Time and again, the linemen got stood up and pushed back into the quarterback or got trashed on running plays that went nowhere.

"I think we had five negative runs in the course of the game," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "When you have five negative runs, four sacks, two penalties . . . you're banging your head on the wall. You're going backward. I mean, it's hard enough to get a first down."

Perhaps most damning was that the Lions didn't do anything schematically that the Packers weren't expecting. They stayed in their base defense most of the game and the Packers couldn't do anything to get them out of it.

Packers' Jenkins may be done for year - JSOnline

As though the Green Bay Packers could afford to be without another member of its starting unit, it now may have to do without defensive end Cullen Jenkins the rest of the regular season.

Jenkins re-injured his left calf against San Francisco on Dec. 5 and did not attend a single practice last week. He spent the entire week staying off his leg and didn't show up in the locker room for interviews.

Asked if there is any kind of timetable for his return, Jenkins said no. Given he didn't even walk on it much last week, there's almost no chance he'll play this week. He said it was possible it would knock him out for the year.

2 big turnovers doom Packers - JSOnline

On the Packers' first drive of the game, Rodgers found tight end Andrew Quarless for a 12-yard gain on second and 3 near midfield for what appeared to be a big gain for the offense.

But Quarless was hit by Lions linebacker Landon Johnson, lost the ball and it was recovered by cornerback Brandon McDonald.

"I was trying to protect the ball," Quarless said. "The guy came in and made a good play and ripped it out."

The most damaging turnover occurred late in the first quarter.

On second and 3 from his 27-yard line, Rodgers sprinted to his right and threw a long strike to receiver Greg Jennings, who had beaten rookie cornerback Amari Spievey in single coverage.

Had Jennings held on to the ball, he likely would've scored. Instead, he bobbled it right into the hands of Spievey.

Rodgers' status unclear after concussion - JSOnline

Packers veteran wide receiver Donald Driver said he talked to Rodgers when the quarterback came to the sideline to stay.

"I said, 'You've got a choice. You want to be Mr. Ironman, but you don't have to.'

"This is a game, but this is your life we're taking about."

After the game, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Rodgers was lucid.

"I can't really measure the level of his concussion right now," McCarthy said. "It's something that they'll go through protocol. I was told that his head is clear and he has a headache.

"He was kind of groggy after those plays that he stayed in there. That's when we made the decision to pull him. I don't have the specifics on how he was feeling. It's the opinion of the medical staff and of Aaron, and it was best for him not to go."

Re: Some views on the Packers from Wisconsin

Green Bay Packers news | Without Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers no better than Detroit Lions | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Say what you want about the Lions, they’re not that bad a team despite their 2-10 record going into the game. And say what you will about the Green Bay Packers, but without Rodgers they’re not that good.

Put another way, if Rodgers were the Lions’ quarterback, and Drew Stanton or even Shaun Hill was the Packers’ this season, the teams’ records would be about reversed. That’s with their rosters as currently configured, and I’m not sure things change that much even if the Packers were at full health. With Jermichael Finley and Ryan Grant playing, plus Hill at quarterback, maybe the Packers are .500. Maybe.

Greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Packers | Insiders Blog New STATS ranking shows Packers’ OL troubles

As poorly as the Green Bay Packers’ offensive line played in Sunday’s 7-3 loss to the Detroit Lions, it wasn’t the line’s worst performance of the year in terms of pass protection.

That came in Week 6 against the Miami Dolphins, according to a new service from STATS, which calls itself the world’s leading sports technology, data and content company. STATS today launched the New York Life Protection Index, which is the first team ranking to incorporate STATS’ proprietary data including quarterback knockdowns and hurries as it focuses solely on each team’s offensive line.

It is comprised of two basic elements – the percentage of times a team successfully protects it quarterback and how often and effectively the team passes the ball. Within these elements, there are several factors applied to calculating the index, such as passing attempts and yards (but not including yards after the catch), sacks, knockdowns, hurries and penalties (including holding and false starts). These stats are inputted into the proprietary algorithm, and a numerical index is assigned to each team.

The index will be updated each Tuesday during the regular season at NY Life Protection Index | New York Life Insurance Company - The Company You Keep.

For the season, the Packers stand 13th out of the 32 NFL teams in the rankings. By this measure, the line’s performance against the Lions was its third worst of the season, followed by the game against the Dolphins (a 23-20 overtime loss) and the Week 13 game against San Francisco (a 34-16 win). The Lions had four sacks and eight quarterback hits, according to the press box statistics (which don’t necessarily match STATS’ data). The Dolphins had five sacks and 10 hits. The 49ers had four sacks and six hits.

The Packers’ best performance of the season came in the Week 7 win over Minnesota (28-24). The Vikings had no sacks and just three hits, according to the press box stats. Here’s a link to the Packers game-by-game ratings.

Green Bay Packers news | Every member of Green Bay Packers offensive line had 'losing performance' against Detroit Lions, coach says | Green Bay Press-Gazette

“Every one of the guys had a losing performance,” Campen, the Packers’ offensive line coach, said on Monday after grading the film.

The poor play up front was the overriding factor in the upset loss at Ford Field. Other than two explosive gains on quarterback scrambles, one of which got starter Aaron Rodgers concussed and knocked out of the game, the Packers had no running room. Running backs Brandon Jackson (seven carries), James Starks (six) and Dimitri Nance (two) combined for 31 rushing yards largely through no fault of their own.

The Lions, who rarely blitzed, recorded eight quarterback hits and four sacks.

Campen chalked it up to things like footwork, hand placement and pad level, the latter of which was both a problem in the running game and on some of the bull rushes that created pressures and sacks.

Wow...Useful information from a troll. The Bears trolls were for the most part pretty cool. We need to play the NFC North more often.

We should be nice, trolls by definition are jerkwads, not just any old person who roots for another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes