PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers @ Patriots - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troll? I don't think so- there's a difference between a fan who comes to talk pure football and a troll who just comes to take a dump.

Agreed. We need more opposing fans like this stopping by.

Hey guys, Packer fan here.

Welcome!

A couple questions for you guys:

-Is BB as cold as he appears?

You've seen some pretty good answers. I'll just post these and let you come to your own conclusion. ;)

YouTube - Chad Ocho Cinco and Bill Belichick
YouTube - Bill Belichick Celebrates Wesleyan Scholarship (a couple gems in this one)
YouTube - Bon Jovi - singing with Charlie Weis and Bill Belichick
YouTube - Patriots NFL Practise - Jon Bon Jovi & Jesse Turn Up

-Is Brady as cool, laidback and nice as he appears?

He seems like he would be a cool guy to hang out with, but I agree with everyone else. He's very intense on the field. I also happen to believe that he's a little uncomfortable sometimes addressing the media. It's not his element, and I'd be surprised to see any broadcasting or TV analysis in his future.

-What is your view on our team? By that I mean, out here in WI, we have a lot of respect for you guys and strive to be like you. What is the view out there of us, and our players if there is any?

I definitely respect the Packers. In fact, I always tend to think they are better than they wind up being. It seems to me there is a lot of talent over there, but for some reason, the Pack doesn't quite rise up and smite the NFC the way it should. I'm not a big McCarthy fan, though I can't explain why. Perhaps it's because I think he's got something to do with the underachievement in Green Bay. That said, I expect the Pack to be a tough out, and don't think, by any means, that the Pats winning is a foregone conclusion. In fact, I predicted a loss in this game during the preseason (see my siggy). I've since changed my tune, though. :D

-And finally, how are you guys SO GOOD?

Brady and Belichick + Owner who gives a damn.

Promise not to run it up on us?

I think laying down at the end of a game is more disrespectful than running it up, personally. For BB, all that matters is that the team plays 60 minutes. It's a good habit to get into. It may not come in handy during blowouts, but it will be a boon in close games.

Talk to you all soon. Oh and one last thing, I'm only 22, and have only been watching football since about 1995, but Tom Brady might be the best quarterback I've ever seen.

I watched Montana play, and I'd put Brady right up there with him. With another SB win or two, maybe, just maybe, I'd say Brady even surpasses Montana.

But Rodgers is a hell of a QB, and as long as you guys have him, you'll be contenders.

Last edited:
I think the Packers defense is very good, but not as good as their stats. Just like the Patriots have benefited from playing the Bears and Jets to boost our scoring defense stat, the Packers held that insufferable fool Sanchez and the Jets to 0 points. With Jenkins out, and no one but Raji collapsing the pocket to help Mathews (whos banged up) get to Brady, as long as Brady is careful with the football, we should be pretty safe in this game providing The Supreme Court isn't injured.

I think the Packers defense is very good, but not as good as their stats. Just like the Patriots have benefited from playing the Bears and Jets to boost our scoring defense stat, the Packers held that insufferable fool Sanchez and the Jets to 0 points. With Jenkins out, and no one but Raji collapsing the pocket to help Mathews (whos banged up) get to Brady, as long as Brady is careful with the football, we should be pretty safe in this game providing The Supreme Court isn't injured.

You seem to be right on with your post. The Packers defensive scoring stats have been boosted mostly by the Jets game and also by the Vikings and Cowboys games (both of which were the last games coached by Brad Childress and Wade Phillips before they were fired). I'm interested to see how our defense stacks up against he best offense in the league.

Jenkins being injured (he might miss the rest of the season) is one that really hurts. He's one of the key cogs on our defense (and IMO our best D-lineman) and hasn't gotten nearly enough recognition. And he'll be replaced by a guy like CJ Wilson or Howard Green (who was cut by the Jets in week 7). Howard Green is a big guy that will be hard to run on, but won't get a whole lot of pressure on the QB. CJ Wilson, is similar to Jenkins in size and has shown some promise, but he's very inexperienced and probably won't hold his ground in the run game.

Matthews (we call him "The Claymaker") does have an injured shin, which cuts into his practice time but he insists that it doesn't affect him in the game. IMO it HAS affected his play slightly... he's still a beast, but he's not the same beast that he was the first half of the season.

The bread and butter of the Packer Defense is our corners. Charles Woodson will play the slot receiver when in the nickel so he's closer to the QB where he can more easily blitz, and he's been given a license to improvise by the coaching staff. Dom Capers loves to move Woodson around and use him in multiple roles. Tremon Williams, who was the nickel back last year and stepped in for the injured Al Harris, has been phenomenal (should make the pro-bowl, but don't know if he has the name recognition yet). He's consistently shut down whatever receiver he's assigned to, and Capers is comfortable putting him out on an island. He must be hanging around Woodson quite a bit because he's baiting QB's and jumping routes like the best of them (not that Brady will fall for that). Sam Shields is the nickel corner and has been quite the surprise, especially considering that he's only had one year at CB in college. He's an undrafted rookie from Miami and has speed to spare. He'll usually play the #2 receiver when they're in nickel, and he hasn't been exposed one bit as you'd expect a rookie corner to be. He also seems to have a little ballhawk in him as well.

Their biggest weakness is that they can be soft against the run (not if their D-line is healthy, which it hasn't been), and their linebackers can be exposed in pass coverage against the TE's.

Before you jump to a victory march , Colt Mccoy did move the ball on the pats.. I know the d has played well of late, but lets just see ... though Green bay cant run, so its a different senerio....

You seem to be right on with your post. The Packers defensive scoring stats have been boosted mostly by the Jets game and also by the Vikings and Cowboys games (both of which were the last games coached by Brad Childress and Wade Phillips before they were fired). I'm interested to see how our defense stacks up against he best offense in the league.

Jenkins being injured (he might miss the rest of the season) is one that really hurts. He's one of the key cogs on our defense (and IMO our best D-lineman) and hasn't gotten nearly enough recognition. And he'll be replaced by a guy like CJ Wilson or Howard Green (who was cut by the Jets in week 7). Howard Green is a big guy that will be hard to run on, but won't get a whole lot of pressure on the QB. CJ Wilson, is similar to Jenkins in size and has shown some promise, but he's very inexperienced and probably won't hold his ground in the run game.

Matthews (we call him "The Claymaker") does have an injured shin, which cuts into his practice time but he insists that it doesn't affect him in the game. IMO it HAS affected his play slightly... he's still a beast, but he's not the same beast that he was the first half of the season.

The bread and butter of the Packer Defense is our corners. Charles Woodson will play the slot receiver when in the nickel so he's closer to the QB where he can more easily blitz, and he's been given a license to improvise by the coaching staff. Dom Capers loves to move Woodson around and use him in multiple roles. Tremon Williams, who was the nickel back last year and stepped in for the injured Al Harris, has been phenomenal (should make the pro-bowl, but don't know if he has the name recognition yet). He's consistently shut down whatever receiver he's assigned to, and Capers is comfortable putting him out on an island. He must be hanging around Woodson quite a bit because he's baiting QB's and jumping routes like the best of them (not that Brady will fall for that). Sam Shields is the nickel corner and has been quite the surprise, especially considering that he's only had one year at CB in college. He's an undrafted rookie from Miami and has speed to spare. He'll usually play the #2 receiver when they're in nickel, and he hasn't been exposed one bit as you'd expect a rookie corner to be. He also seems to have a little ballhawk in him as well.

Their biggest weakness is that they can be soft against the run (not if their D-line is healthy, which it hasn't been), and their linebackers can be exposed in pass coverage against the TE's.

This is the difference in the game, in my opinion. We have a very strong running game this year (contrary to popular opinion, we are not a finesse team), and our TEs are phenomenal--perhaps the best TE corp in the league. Brady has an almost perfect passer rating going to his TEs this year, and they've produced in a major way.

Oh, and I really liked Sam Shields coming out of the U. Glad to hear he has been playing well. :)

Before you jump to a victory march , Colt Mccoy did move the ball on the pats.. I know the d has played well of late, but lets just see ... though Green bay cant run, so its a different senerio....

Why is this post here?

Why bring up Colt McCoy when the Pats have played Roethlisberger, Manning, and Cutler in the games since then?

Jenkins being injured (he might miss the rest of the season) is one that really hurts.
As I recall Jenkins was also hurt a couple of years ago, and without him the Pack had a losing season. He seems to be a vital piece on the Green Bay team.

On a separate topic, very few places are listing any odds on the game yet, but I'm shocked to see the line as high as it is for those places that are taking bets: eleven points!

VegasInsider.com - NFL odds

Pats Still Putting Up Like 38-45 Pts. Either One Of GB's QBs Pats Should Keep Them Under 20, Any News On Rodgers?

As I recall Jenkins was also hurt a couple of years ago, and without him the Pack had a losing season. He seems to be a vital piece on the Green Bay team.

On a separate topic, very few places are listing any odds on the game yet, but I'm shocked to see the line as high as it is for those places that are taking bets: eleven points!

VegasInsider.com - NFL odds

Those Las Vegas types must be thinking Rodgers isn't going to play. For those Packer fans out there - I see you think your corners are good. How about your safties/ Brady seems to be going after safties more than corners these days.

Those Las Vegas types must be thinking Rodgers isn't going to play. For those Packer fans out there - I see you think your corners are good. How about your safties/ Brady seems to be going after safties more than corners these days.

Their safeties are pretty good as well. Nick Collins is a 2-time pro-bowler and is having a pretty good year. Charlie Peprah is the other safety and would be buried on the depth chart if it wasn't for Atari Bigby starting the season on the PUP and Morgan Burnett going to the IR. With that said, he has played much better than expected and is sort of a silver lining to Bigby and Burnett going down.

PATRIOTS WEEK: Rodgers not at practice - JSOnline - Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers was not at practice today and backup Matt Flynn took the majority of the snaps during the jog-through.

Practice squad quarterback Graham Harrell took a couple of snaps in a team drill during the session that was open to the media.
It's futile to try to read anything into his absence at practice Wednesday. Until coach Mike McCarthy addresses the media at around 12:55 p.m., we won't know for sure how much progress Rodgers is making.

McCarthy said on his show Monday that he and his staff would game plan with Flynn as the starter and then adjust if Rodgers were able to play.

The team practiced indoors during the session open to the media.

Not practicing for the Packers was: LB Frank Zombo (knee), LB Clay Matthews (shin), DE Cullen Jenkins (calf) and CB Pat Lee (ankle). WR Donald Driver (thigh) was very limited. CB Charles Woodson (toe, ankle) appeared to be taking part in everything.

FB Korey Hall (knee) returned to practice after missing the Detroit game. Safeties Atari Bigby (hamstring) and Anthony Smith (ankle) both practiced.

Last edited:
From PFF:

Re-Focused: Week 14, Packers at Lions | ProFootballFocus.com

This was a game most people assumed the Packers would be able to handle without issue. Instead the Packers completely collapsed, with the Lions’ defensive line dominating the Packers offensive line, as well as the Lions rushing game running all over the Packers defense.

Looking at the numbers, you would think the Lions would have won by more than 7-3, but a few turnovers cost the Lions from scoring more points than what they did.

This convinces me that the Pats will win. The only concern is if Rodgers plays, and I believe he will, and McCourty doesn't, having Arrington and Butler as the starting CBs would likely be problematic.

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com

After attending Packers coach Mike McCarthy's Wednesday presser, Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe predicts that Aaron Rodgers (concussion) will not play against the Patriots in Week 15.

Its looking more and more likely Rodgers will be out vs the Pats this Sunday, I think BB should sit McCourty this week just to be on the safe side. Pats can handle the Pack with or without McCourty even if by some chance Rodgers does play, which would be a big surprise.

"As he clears each hurdle, and he's able to practice, that's the final stage; which means he can practice when everything is [medically] cleared,'' McCarthy said. "We're obviously not close to that step yet, so I don't see him practicing tomorrow for sure and there's a very slim chance of him practicing on Friday.''

Last edited:
One other thing you guys could see on Sunday that has given some teams trouble is the Packer's famous Psycho Defense.... originally created because they were running out of healthy D-lineman... its 1 D-lineman, 5 LB's and 5 DB's. The 5 linebackers will roam around the line of scrimage before the snap, trying to disguise who'll be rushing the QB and who'll be dropping into coverage while confusing the O-line on who they'll be blocking.

I'm sure BB will have your team ready for it, so Capers might not pull it out of his bag of tricks.

One other thing you guys could see on Sunday that has given some teams trouble is the Packer's famous Psycho Defense.... originally created because they were running out of healthy D-lineman... its 1 D-lineman, 5 LB's and 5 DB's. The 5 linebackers will roam around the line of scrimage before the snap, trying to disguise who'll be rushing the QB and who'll be dropping into coverage while confusing the O-line on who they'll be blocking.

I'm sure BB will have your team ready for it, so Capers might not pull it out of his bag of tricks.
Actually that is one the Pats have employed themselves on occasion over the years. Ironically, the Patriots had four defensive linemen of their own miss practice today - which could mean we might see it used by both teams Sunday!

Uhh the Pats have been doing that for years. To be honest, I thought BB started it (could be wrong).

Cleveland already did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes