Welcome to PatsFans.com

Packers @ Patriots - Preview

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DaBruinz, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Going into this game, there are 2 big questions lingering.

1) Will Aaron Rodgers be cleared to play for the Packers?

2) Will McCourty be 100% with his rib injury?

I watched the Packers yesterday and it was clearly a trap game for their offense. Granted, it didn't help that Rodgers went down, but even with Rodgers in there, they weren't doing well.

The Packers running game is almost non-existent without Ryan Grant. Brandon Jackson can only be described as a huge let down since the Packers drafted him.

Matt Flynn is a very mobile QB. The Pats will have to contain him the way they contained Roethlingsburger, Sanchez, and Cutler because he can beat you with his legs.

The Packers O-line was in shambles yesterday. Their starting left guard, Darren Colledge, went down and neither of his replacements played well..

The Packers defense, though, was playing damn near lights out. And they will do their best to make it hard for the Pats. AJ Hawk and Chad Greenway are the clear leaders there. Cullen Jenkins is tough as nails on that line.
  2. AtivanPatsFan

AtivanPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: McCourty - I believe that even if he's not at 100% for this upcoming game, the Patriots should make sure he's rested, healed, and 110% to go for either Miami, the Bills or beyond.

I don't see any benefit in him playing and re-injuring his rib or whatever the injury happens to be. Resting McCourty would be substantially more beneficial for the Patriots overall especially if Rodgers is unable to go due to his concussion.

edit: clarity.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. bbell31

bbell31 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -1

packers def pose a threat with rodgers in and their defense, if we can beat their d convincingly then we should win the superbowl. Weve faced every type of d after this one, if we get this win then ill b super confident in games to come.:rocker:
  4. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would rest McCourty too. We need him much more in the playoffs then we do for a packers game. We'll just have to hold our breath with Butler and Arrington in all game against Driver and Jennings lol....
  5. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Does anybody know a good site for Packer news? I want each update on Rodgers that I can find. Regardless of our past abilities to make backup QB's look great, his absence would change this matchup drastically. Especially considering their inability to run the ball
  6. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

FYI, Chad Greenway plays for the Vikings. Think you mean Clay Matthews.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

If he is good to go, would not hesitate in playing him, there is still an awful lot on the line.. a first round bye would be very good for BB to scheme for the next opponent.
  8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

I am not "worried" about this game, as long as the Pats take it seriously, which I think they will. The guy that scares me the most on the GB defense is linebacker Clay Matthews. That guy is a beast. Our O line will again have to bring their A game to make sure Brady doesn't take a lot of hits.

If Rodgers doesn't go, it probably would be a good time to rest McCourty, but I bet we won't know until game time. If Rodgers plays, GB has had a pretty good passing game all year, despite whatever happened in Detroit (who also played us pretty tough in the first half). Tough decision.
  9. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Best D in the league. This will be a huge test for the Pats offense as well as they are playing. They have the pass rush that can pose a problem for TB.

I agree rest McCourty if his ribs are hurting.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

i doubt Rodgers plays it is his 2nd concussion this season.

I would favor resting McCourty if Rodgers is out.
  11. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Best D in least points allowed per game, and their passing D is ranked 3rd in yards given up, but their run stopping is atrocious- in the lower half of the league. I expect plenty of runs against them.
  12. BrewCity Cheesehead

BrewCity Cheesehead Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

News Sites:
    Green Bay Packers - Sports - JSOnline
    Green Bay Packers news | News, sports, features, blogs, photos and forums about the Green Bay Packers | packersnews.com

Fan Sites:
    Cheesehead TV: devoted to Green Bay Packers fans worldwide
    PackerChatters

From Twitter:
    Jason Wilde (jasonjwilde) on Twitter
    tom silverstein (TomSilverstein) on Twitter
  13. townes

townes Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't know much about the Pack this year but Rodgers plays if he gets the OK from their medical staff, and that is basically about passing specific tests. If so the Patriots are facing a really good QB and a really good defense, and despite their record at home with Brady they still have to be respected. The Patriots are winning because they aren't taking anyone or anything for granted and they would be sorely mistaken to start believing the hype now. If anything they should be made to read Borges all week to find out how bad they suck. I would have recommended Felger as well but can't now that he is acting like a 14 year old girl re: the Patriots; suddenly they are 2007 Patriots, when 2 weeks ago they weren't in the same class as the Jets.

One thing is certain, if Brady continues to play at this level it is going to be really hard for any team to beat them, and to some degree the real test of their team as a whole will come when he has an off day, if they can win then they are definitely for real.
  14. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I do respect the Packers' defense. But...isn't this now about the 6th time the Patriots have played against the "Best D in the league"? :) Funny how they all seem to lose that crown after the Patriots come to town.
  15. BrewCity Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm thinking 70-30 that Rodgers plays next week. It is his 2nd concussion this year, but neither one appeared all that serious. The first one came on a quarterback sneak and he was practicing the next Thursday with no symptoms. This last one came from hitting the ground when he was tackled on a run (WHY DIDN'T YOU SLIDE??? YOU ALREADY HAD THE FIRST DOWN!!!)

Supposedly, the more concussions you have, the longer it takes to come back from one, but this is only the 2nd concussion in his life, so I think there's a very good chance he'll be ready to go by Sunday night.
  16. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

17. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Thanks -- always glad to hear from opposing fans who actually want to talk football, especially when it's an opponent we don't see much. Any insights you can offer are most welcome.

At first glance, the injury status of Rodgers and McCourty looks like the big story line here. The Packers' pass rush is formidable, but the Pats' OL (including honorary member Alge Crumpler) has been impressive in recent weeks, and the versatility of their running game should keep Matthews and co. honest.
  18. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Troll? I don't think so- there's a difference between a fan who comes to talk pure football and a troll who just comes to take a dump.
  19. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Welcome to the discussion (although it looks like you've been here for some time). I have watched the Packers a few times this year, but don't follow them closely.

The Packers D looks very good (some draft pieces coming together in the form of a now veteran defense), and Rodgers is the real deal at QB. I thought they looked like the top of the NFC early on, but they seem to have put up some clunkers since (Redskins, Miami, Detroit - they played the Falcons tough in the Georgia Dome). Any thoughts on why they struggled in those games?

I would expect Rodgers plays unless he is physically incapable of taking the field as the Pack are playing for their playoff life right now, standing on the outside looking in at 6 teams.
  20. Warren1985

Warren1985 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont see anyone beating us again this season unless we lie down in the final game because we have a bye week
  21. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

After going to the Detroit and Chicago games, I wish we played in the NFC North.

Good fans
  22. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I use the term broadly to mean anyone who roots for an opposing team who comes to an opposing teams message board. Regardless if they come to talk football or trash. There are good trolls and bad trolls.
  23. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

I heard they got a pretty good guy named Clay Matthews too BTW. Leads the NFL in sacks, or something minor like that. :D

Anyways the main question is going to be will Rodgers play or not. If Rodgers doesn't start the Packers don't have even a snowball's chance. Flynn is athletic sure, but he doesn't sling the ball nearly as well as Rodgers.

The Packers defense is good, granted. The Pats have embarrassed better defenses and Brady is at the top of his game. They are also playing at home. If Rodgers is out, we're looking at a blowout win. Even if Rodgers isn't out we could still be looking at a blowout win. That's just how good the Pats are playing.

I don't expect a let down game. Pats will be pedal to the metal all the way to the playoffs. It should be a better game than Chicago but I suspect it won't be all that close. Looking forward to see how this defense continues to gel and develop. They've only given up 3 and 7 to the Jets and Bears respectively. Hopefully they will continue to get better and finally pitch a shutout somewhere down the stretch.
  24. Chevelle2

Chevelle2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey guys, Packer fan here. Wanted to chime in and I had some questions of my own.

Here are just some random thoughts as they come to my head:

-If Rodgers is out, we are going to get blown out

-If Rodgers plays, we have a shot

-That shot is reliant on us actually calling a good game plan. Time and time again we try and get too cute and get away from our bread and butter

-Our bread and butter, is short outs/slants/ins and YAC. All day long. Problem is, like I said, we try and get too cute sometimes

-Rodgers is second to Brady in deep ball ability IMO. We can hit some off of play action

-Our oline is solid at pass blocking, and terrible at run blocking. We are a bit small at C and old on the left side. Right side is sweet.

-Our running game is non existent for the most part. Jackson sucks, and I'd like to see more of this kid Starks, who had 80ish yards 2 weeks ago

-Our defense is nice. We get turnovers (not that you guys are careless with the ball), and sacks (not that your oline isn't great)

-Woodson/Williams is one of the top CB duos in the league, Collins is a pro at S, and Peprah is ok at the other safety spot

-We are on our 4th string LB opposite Clay Matthews

-Jenkins is probably out on the line. This hurts. He is an excellent player.

-As good as Matthews is, he's a bit knicked up and is getting tired

-Our punt and kick coverage suck, so I wouldn't be shocked if Tate took one to the house

-We have 13 guys on IR, including 6 starters

I can take any questions you have, but I have class and then I have to study, so I won't be able to reply until later.

A couple questions for you guys:

-Is BB as cold as he appears?
    -Is Brady as cool, laidback and nice as he appears?
    -What is your view on our team? By that I mean, out here in WI, we have a lot of respect for you guys and strive to be like you. What is the view out there of us, and our players if there is any?
    -And finally, how are you guys SO GOOD? Promise not to run it up on us? :p

Talk to you all soon. Oh and one last thing, I'm only 22, and have only been watching football since about 1995, but Tom Brady might be the best quarterback I've ever seen.
  25. SEPatsFan

SEPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You must have been around different Bears fans that I was, the ones in my section were ridiculously moronic.

SSDD
  26. BrewCity Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They were hit HARD by injuries early in the season (12 players on IR, 7 starters). The depth that GM Ted Thompson put on this team was tested and for the most part, they've overcome those injuries... especially on defense where guys like Desmond Bishop and Charlie Peprah have been playing out of their minds. The one that is still hurting the most is losing Ryan Grant week 1, as they haven't been able to have anything resembling a running game since, which really hurt against Atlanta and Detroit. Losing Jermichael Finley for the season was huge and it took a few games to re-organize the offense accordingly. The loses to the Redskins and Dolphins were pretty similar, because during the Washington game they lost Finley, Nick Barnett, Morgan Burnett to IR. Clay Matthews injured his hammy against Washington and sat out against Miami and the pass rush went from awesome to none. Also it seems that the Packer offense is sometimes one of the best in the league, and other times one of the worst. Most of the time they click, but sometimes they look out of sync.

This season is looking like the "what could have been season" since their 5 loses are all by 4 points or less (4 loses by a field goal, two in OT). They've looked the worst they have this season yesterday at Detroit, but I'm still hopeful they can make the playoffs. The division is attainable, but they need the Bears to lose at Minnesota (thanks for the shellacking you guys laid on the Bears yesterday BTW). Otherwise the wildcard is likely, but they need to win at least 2 more with some help.

I'm not expecting a win next Sunday night as we'll be coming into your guy's house when you're playing your best football all season. The Packers have the talent to get the W, but it'll be by far their toughest game this season.
  27. Stop Being A Jerk

Stop Being A Jerk Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

1. No. He's always seemed a good guy to me, even before he'd won anything (I was against hiring him in 2000 or whatever...we gave up a first round pick...lol). He just has no time for the mediots. People who ask stupid questions and want stories laid out for them; the same people who eat up Rex Ryans BS, in other words. I get the feeling that he enjoys talking x's and o's when he gets a good question in a press conference. But take the other week for example, against the Jets; I think it sums him up nicely: a reported asked what he thought about Rex Ryans comments that he wanted to "kick Belichick's a**" Belichick said, "Is that some big story? The Jets want to win and the Patriots want to win?" Makes sense to me. It was a complete nothing that the media wanted to make into something, but BB wouldn't rise to the bait. Also keep in mind that a lot of today's commentators on ESPN and NFL network have a dislike for Belichick anyway: Marshall Faulk hasn't gotten over losing in 2001, and Tom Jackson was told to "f*** off" by Belichick. Does that play into your perception of Bill? It shouldn't. Earlier in that first Super Bowl year, Tom Jackson said that the Patriots "hate their coach". So at the Super Bowl when Jackson approached Belichick, he told him to f*** off. I'd have done the same.

To summarize: I thought BB was pretty cool before he won anything, despite being against the hiring; he has no time for feeding the media stories (so they claim he's arrogant and so on); and there is an effort by certain television commentators to build continue the myth that he is some sort of heartless robot.

2. Pretty much, although...laid back? I guess at the podium after a game. But during the game he's the heart and soul of the team. He's the one who wants to stay in when they're up 50-0. He's got fire and a desire to win that is matched only by Belichick, which is why they work so well together.

3. I like the Pack. When the Pats aren't playing, I try to tune into the Packers game because they're usually among the best played. Rogers is a top QB, of course, and you've got some stars on defense. Plus you're a cold weather team and we like that here.

4. Brady and Belichick. It really is that simple.
  28. jsull87

jsull87 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1.) No. To the people who have spent the most time around BB they know him as a really great guy. The reason he seems like a dick to most people (in my opinion) is he hates the media... and they are the people who project his image. He is just a guy who has an immense focus on his job and his way of doing things and when he gets questions like "what do you think about what chad jackson said yesterday" or "did you see x or y on the weekend" he doesn't care because it doesn't apply to his football team and his goal of winning the next game. Watch some of the videos of trainnig camp and pre season on patriots.com you see him interacting with the players and he seems like a great guy in my opinion.

2.) Yeah brady does seem a little to good to be true doesn't he... i guess thats why you'll find most of the people on this board love him so much (me included) and why we laugh so hard when a jets of dolphins poster pre season goes... sanches/henne is the next elite qb and this is the year they become brady... the guys is just awesome and there are few is any like him.

3.) My view of GB is that they have an aggressive D based founded on getting turnovers by a great CB duo and an effectively schemed and executed pass rush... i have heard however that the run D isn't as good as you would want and that the secondary sometimes does get over aggressive and make mistakes (not a BB philosophy). But then again if you have been listening to the media the pats have the worst D in the league... not exactly true.

I believed your O would be the best in the league this year... you had so many weapons in the passing game and rogers was playing lights out pre season. But i didn't realise the struggles your Run game was having.

4.) Run it up? BB just wants "60 Fu**in Minutes" haha
  29. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BB doesn't hate the media (although he could be said to have disdain for them) he just avoids them, and gives out answers or statements that one would be hard put to use against him or as bulletin board material. Unlike most people in the NFL, he seems to realize that the media isn't on anyone's side and is only after a story, whether or not it hurts the subject of the story.

The less fodder they have, the less distraction he has, and the more he can focus on his job. However, in the right place and at the right time, with the right writer, he does open up from time to time.
  30. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

DOH.... You're right. I meant Matthews.. :bricks: on me..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.