PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

P. Rankings - Bills, Jets, Dolphins all Top 10. Us, 20.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
These are meaningless. Where were the Broncos at this time last preseason? I bet they were top 10 too. Look how that went.

Edit: I found the same list from exactly 1 year ago, here's their top 10 lol:

1 - Bills
2 - Rams*
3 - Buccaneers
4 - 49ers
5 - Bengals
6 - Packers*
7 - Chiefs
8 - Broncos (told ya)*
9 - Chargers
10 - Ravens

*did not make postseason, finished season under .500

Last edited:
Nothing to think about. Folks know it.
We’re somewhere closer to 10 than 20. .
As @Ross12 said, doesn't mean much and there aren't going to be any opinions changed until they do something on the field to make people feel otherwise. I like the fact the majority of fans/critics expect little because it allows them to hopefully surprise some people and potentially end up in the mix next January.

I don't think they'll be amazing by any means, but I think they're going to be a lot better than quite a few people might think.

I agree with Ian, they will be better than expected. Last years experiment with Patricia was pure folly and BB has learned from those mistakes..
Remember last year we heard in the OTA's, TC, Pre Season and whole season how Mac Jones wasn't comfortable?? Things have change quite a bit and that alone will help their offensive efficiency..
Their D looks good, but all of this is predicated on a healthy team with healthy starters...

These are meaningless. Where were the Broncos at this time last preseason? I bet they were top 10 too. Look how that went.

Edit: I found the same list from exactly 1 year ago, here's their top 10 lol:

1 - Bills
2 - Rams*
3 - Buccaneers
4 - 49ers
5 - Bengals
6 - Packers*
7 - Chiefs
8 - Broncos (told ya)*
9 - Chargers
10 - Ravens

*did not make postseason, finished season under .500

Miami is most likely to be this year's sub -.500 team. Patriots will finish with a better record than them,

As @Ross12 said, doesn't mean much and there aren't going to be any opinions changed until they do something on the field to make people feel otherwise. I like the fact the majority of fans/critics expect little because it allows them to hopefully surprise some people and potentially end up in the mix next January.

I don't think they'll be amazing by any means, but I think they're going to be a lot better than quite a few people might think.
You’re right of course. No one knows for sure.
The thing is if we have a bottom 1/3 talent team and arguably a top 3 toughest schedule then our win total would be what, 5 or 6 games? I believe they must be taking that into account which is silly.
We have to steal 4 games just to have a winning record? Nah.

Reactions: Ian
do folks think the Patriots should be higher than 20?
Everything about this team is being based off last seasons results.. I'm anxious to get to week 1.. at this point who cares about the preseason.. let's get to the eagles already. The Jets are relying an all be it great and all time great QB in Rodgers.. he's 39.. aging however he isn't a winner.. he got 1 ring where as he's had multiple opportunities he should have at least 3. Buffalo will go as long as Allen will take them.. it's a Matter of time before he takes a hit he can't recover from. Miami will go as long as Tua takes them as well. Sad to see him take those hits .. have to wonder if the concussions will end his career prematurely.

I agree with Ian, they will be better than expected. Last years experiment with Patricia was pure folly and BB has learned from those mistakes..
Remember last year we heard in the OTA's, TC, Pre Season and whole season how Mac Jones wasn't comfortable?? Things have change quite a bit and that alone will help their offensive efficiency..
Their D looks good, but all of this is predicated on a healthy team with healthy starters...
The elements of the defense I absolutely love.. safeties that can play up a the line, blitzing, play deep. You name it.. Mapu has me intrigued.. man he's fast and can run sidel to sideline with any one... gonzo was put right out there and has held his own.. I love hearing how the offense looks good and especially Mac's deep ball. Top 3 WR'S. Parker, juju and Bourne..

I thought the take on our team in those rankings was reasonable. Says if we solve our red zone problems on both sides of the ball but especially on offense we could be better than the 4-4 record in one score games we had last season. Lots of question marks and OL health is the biggest one.

You’re right of course. No one knows for sure.
The thing is if we have a bottom 1/3 talent team and arguably a top 3 toughest schedule then our win total would be what, 5 or 6 games? I believe they must be taking that into account which is silly.
We have to steal 4 games just to have a winning record? Nah.
I feel like 8 is probably my lowest. I just can’t see them being the train wreck they were last year - as “bad” as they were, they were at least in most games with a shot at winning several of the ones they lost.

I said this a while ago and from a big picture standpoint, I absolutely see what you’re saying. But I think when it becomes a series of one-game seasons, I think most of us always feel like they have a chance in a given week depending on how things go. Just depends on what team we see out there.

Although, the key to this season is also going to be health because there’s definitely not much margin for error. But who knows? That’s what makes each week interesting, but I feel more confident going into this year than I did after last year’s preseason.

do folks think the Patriots should be higher than 20?
I mean, they were better than 20th last year. No reason to think they got worse. They finished just outside the postseason by one game IIRC. 15 out of 32 teams had a worse record and 1 team had the same record as the Patriots, so they were roughly ~16th in the league in 2022 and have improved this year. How much remains to be seen.

I'd have them in the 13, 14, 15, 16 range as a borderline playoff team so 20 isnt too far off but that does feel a smidge low. You could say this most years but more then most i feel its true this year, they go as far as the O line takes them. Looking everywhere else on the team their is adequate talent and depth to be a playoff team and maybe win 1 or 2 with some luck on matchups, or be a first round out on a bad matchup/day. If they get even ok production from the line i believe Rham has a huge season which opens up playaction for Mac to hit 7-8 different receivers a game. Basically no real star but everyone pitching in a bit making it very hard for opposing defenses to single out who to take away. However, if they cant run the ball Mac is NOT built to consistently convert 3rd and 8+ while running for his life. I will be watching the first couple games with great interest, and focus on the big guys up front to see if the line is gelling, because if they dont i forsee a long season where #20 might be too high.

Although, the key to this season is also going to be health because there’s definitely not much margin for error. But who knows? That’s what makes each week interesting, but I feel more confident going into this year than I did after last year’s preseason.
The foundation to every season frankly. Do the key guys stay available and make the clutch plays when called upon? Those remain the questions the coming season will answer with that answer critical to final outcomes.

We're once again seeing all kinds of X quotes about practice "highlights" but they mean little to nothing. Nelson Agholor was "uncoverable" and "catching everything" the last two camps...until the lights came on.

Is the OL going to be available? Can they protect even if they are? All it takes is one game with constant pressure early to remind MJones of previous years where his internal clock got all screwed up and forced bad decision after bad decision - and that derails a season. Or is the DL/LB corps that damn good now that they will make many OLs look ill prepared? Getting other QBs to have those same shadow demons in their heads would be quite a sight to behold.

I do remain hopeful, but cautiously. I too am slightly more confident in positive outcomes than last year, but only in small measure. The questions are eerily similar regarding the OL even with the new coaching staff and that question impacts the entirety of the offense - 1/3d, and in today's NFL, likely most critical aspect of the team.

I spoke directly with Andrew Callahan, Pats beat reporter, who's been at camp the whole time. I told him exactly this - that they'll be much better than people think and he told me, yes, absolutely they will be, but unfortunately the division is a monster.

Reactions: Ian

Rut roh.

F* them.

Everyone disagrees but I think the talent level alone is better than 20th. I would have put them 15th, maybe a few notches higher.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back