PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overthought - Carter signing an indication Armstead won't play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it means much at all. Carter a DE, Armstead is a DT. Different positions. If anything I think the Carter signing means he takes Ninkovich's positIon on the line, as ninko goes back to LB. But that's just my opinion

That's one distinct possibility, but Michael Buchanan drew a lot of ire lately for his inability to properly set the edge and take on blockers/create pressure at DE--so that may be another important thing to watch for.

Either way, I don't think it has much to do with Armstead's chances of playing this year.

That's one distinct possibility, but Michael Buchanan drew a lot of ire lately for his inability to properly set the edge and take on blockers/create pressure at DE--so that may be another important thing to watch for.

Either way, I don't think it has much to do with Armstead's chances of playing this year.
I have to agree. I don't see the correlation between signing a DE to spell someone who would appear to play predominately at DT with spells at DE.

The more pass rushers the better right? Look at how deep lines like Seattle and Kansas City go.

Buchanan as been quiet lately. All and all good signing in general. He was great for us 2 years ago on and off the field, and you can never have enough pass rushers.

Could be the other way around. Armstead might be close to returning and they want someone who can cover for him in the short term who already knows the playbook.

Repeat after me - Andre Carter has never played inside or at 3-tech in his career.

I repeated it, but my mouth kept saying, "Carter is only on the field in obvious pass rushing situations."

They did not bring him in as a run stuffing interior lineman. He'll be out there in a 4-3 with a rookie on the nose, and with Jones and Ninkovich to pin their ears back to get into the backfield. See: NY Giants circa 2007.

I think Andre Carter is good, but also he is very hot.

Seriously you're all just going to let this post go? :D

On topic: I think Carter and Armstead are unrelated. Carter is here to spell Jones and hopefully rub off his work ethic and professionalism all across the team. He's a pro's pro. Buchanan has also had a few "welcome to the NFL" plays, especially against the run, and I think Carter is here to help limit that.

actually, I think its more of an indication of trying to replace Mayo's production

Ninkovich was a pretty decent linebacker for us before we drafted Hightower and moved him to DE(where he still has been effective)

With how Hightower/Spikes have been struggling in obvious passing situations maybe you play Nink as a coverage linebacker and have carter at DE

or maybe you move Jones inside and have him/Carter/Ninkovich attack the QB

hopefully carter has something left to prove and can replicate some of what he did in 2011 because he/Jones rushing the passer could be fun:rocker:

The entire team will gather to serenade him with "welcome back kotter (carter)".

Does anyone know if Carter's played LDE in his career before? If he hasn't, it might not work to just put Ninkovich at LB and plug Carter in.

Carter is active today and Bequette isn't so I'd assume he's going to play some DE. Maybe he will line up in the 3 technique in some packages instead of Jones, but I'd expect him to be outside more often than not.

Re: Re: Overthought - Carter signing an indication Armstead won't play?

Does anyone know if Carter's played LDE in his career before? If he hasn't, it might not work to just put Ninkovich at LB and plug Carter in.

He played LOLB in a 3-4 for the redskins and we moved him around back in 2011 occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News