PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: XFL and CFL collaboration. Maybe a merger into a real NFL alternative?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
If this goes well - maybe we'll finally have a viable alternative to the NFL?

Can't see the CFL being able to hang on to its rules but I like the Grey Cup trophy so hopefully they keep that.

I am not sure what you mean by “viable NFL alternative.” If you mean something for football lovers to watch when the NFL isn’t on, then sure why not. Those leagues arguably already are that. If you mean something people will watch instead of the NFL then no way.

I am not sure what you mean by “viable NFL alternative.” If you mean something for football lovers to watch when the NFL isn’t on, then sure why not. Those leagues arguably already are that. If you mean something people will watch instead of the NFL then no way.
Yeah just as an alternative to an NFL monopoly - and this one might actually stick. It won't be "competition" on day 1 but I can see this arrangement competing with the NFL for players. The CFL stole Rocket Ismail from us back in the day so never say never if they have enough money.

I vote "yes" to anything that has the potential to provide me with more live football to watch.

XFL was becoming my favorite brand of football until covid ruined everything.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough professional talent for even to fill all the 53 man NFL rosters. Unless this merger can up the ability to pay for at least second tier level NFL talent, they will never be a viable alternative. They might do really well in their niche like the CFL has done for years and other leagues like Arena Football had at least for a period of time. But I doubt they can be viable as a major sport.

A MLB AL/NL style "merger" would be interesting. CFL would have to ditch their rules I think for this to work or at least most of them.

Otherwise that would be like the American League rules being traditional baseball as we know it and the National League having "baseball rules" more like cricket.

A MLB AL/NL style "merger" would be interesting. CFL would have to ditch their rules I think for this to work or at least most of them.

Otherwise that would be like the American League rules being traditional baseball as we know it and the National League having "baseball rules" more like cricket.
I mean. I live in Canada and I know those markets wouldn’t be able to compete. Winnipeg & Saskatoon / Regina ?

if this "collaboration" allows the game to be played without a skirt and actually promotes kick returns and hard hitting I am in...

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back