PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Troy Smith should start for Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Or they should pick up Pennington. There are no other legit Qbs on their roster.

Smith is tiny, but just like in college he's mobile, tough and accurate. IMO he can win games and be the Qb of a 10-6 NFL team someday.

His presence really jacked up Crable and Woods, not coincidentally.

Boller is a head case, and Flacco looks 2 years away from effective play. He doesn't process info very quickly.

it's early, but O'Connell looks like a better QB option than Flacco, because he can move, is more decisive and has more on-field charisma.

it's early, but O'Connell looks like a better QB option than Flacco, because he can move, is more decisive and has more on-field charisma.

Interesting comparison...heading into the draft, I considered Flacco and O'Connell very similar prospects.

Of course he should be started. IMHO, he's the only good and ready QB to take over at the helm right now in Baltimore. He wasn't too bad in his only start last year. 16-27, 171 yards, 1 TD, and 0 interceptions.

Last edited:
Interesting comparison...heading into the draft, I considered Flacco and O'Connell very similar prospects.

Just to expand on that:

- Big, tall athletes for the position with impressive arms
- Despite their size, had the best quickness/agility measurables among all the legit QB prospects
- Played at 2nd-tier programs, had weak coaching and a lot of bad habits
- Lots of raw potential, but you would have to be patient and not rush them into the lineup

In short, intriguing prospects but NOT ready. I thought Flacco was terribly overdrafted at the time; we'll see!

They are similar prospects. One difference is O'Connel played 1A and Flacco 1AA. O'Connell is better prepared for the speed of the NFL game, and is used to running for his life and throwing from odd arm angles. Flacco was used to standing like a statue in the pocket and dominating.

That's why Falcco was not a 1st rd pick, despite his raw tools. I still believe he will be a solid NFL starter eventually, but maybe not in baltimore. The pressure to get him on the field quickly, the sense of failure if he does not develop quickly, may doom him.

Last edited:
Or they should pick up Pennington. There are no other legit Qbs on their roster.

Smith is tiny, but just like in college he's mobile, tough and accurate. IMO he can win games and be the Qb of a 10-6 NFL team someday.

Boller is a head case, and Flacco looks 2 years away from effective play. He doesn't process info very quickly.

Flacco was bad, yes, but he was only in for a few series and in those few series his offensive line seemed to take a nap. He more than likely is one to two years away from being a starting quarterback in this league, but yesterday's game is not nearly enough to determine that.

I agree with patchick that they looked very similar coming out of small schools with a lot of potential and good size. It certainly makes you scratch your head as to why one went in the middle of the first round and the other was a late third rounder.

But O'Connell definitely did look better last night. :D

They are similar prospects. One difference is O'Connel played 1A and Flacco 1AA. O'Connell is better prepared for the speed of the NFL game, and is used to running for his life and throwing from odd arm angles. Flacco was used to standing like a statue in the pocket and dominating.

That's why Falcco was not a 1st rd pick, despite his raw tools. I still believe he will be a solid NFL starter eventually, but maybe not in baltimore. The pressure to get him on the field quickly, the sense of failure if he does not develop quickly, may doom him.

That's a great point.

That's why Falcco was not a 1st rd pick, despite his raw tools.

:confused: I think you're getting your QBs mixed up, Pony...the Ravens moved up to take Flacco at #18 overall.

:confused: I think you're getting your QBs mixed up, Pony...the Ravens moved up to take Flacco at #18 overall.

No, I mean he "should not" have been a 1st rd pick, despite the fact he was actually taken there.

at receiver?

What exactly is on-field charisma? Is this a part of body language?

Not from what I saw last night. Boller is still a better QB than Smith with more poise in the pocket and steadier command of the offense.

Not from what I saw last night. Boller is still a better QB than Smith with more poise in the pocket and steadier command of the offense.

I saw Boller throw an atrocious pick vs a vanilla cover two and fumble due to lack of pocket presence. For a tall man he plays small. Blitz him and he crumbles mentally. Smith does not.

I don't know what freaking game you were watching, but Boller was like 11 of 15 for 120 yards or so and was tossing the ball all through NEs defense until he was pulled so right now there is no competition at QB - Boller is the man right now in Baltimore until or if he starts to struggle.

I don't know what freaking game you were watching, but Boller was like 11 of 15 for 120 yards or so and was tossing the ball all through NEs defense until he was pulled so right now there is no competition at QB - Boller is the man right now in Baltimore until or if he starts to struggle.

We watched the same game, just not in the same way.

He threw a terrible pick and can't hang onto the ball.

Harbaugh said Troy's starting the next preseason game, so apparently Boller isn't the man right now.

He threw a terrible pick and can't hang onto the ball.

Harbaugh said Troy's starting the next preseason game, so apparently Boller isn't the man right now.

It'll be an interesting battle in Baltimore. Boller's decent but hasn't exactly worked under a offensive genius the last couple of years, nor had a surplus of offensive weapons to use.

Re: Troy Smith. Leading insanely talent-rich OSU teams through an overmatched Big Ten does not exactly an NFL quarterback make.
But if the Ravens offense is still stagnant under Harbaugh, Smith is more of a playmaker and could win the job at some point--right now it's Boller's to lose.

and the Ravens moved up in the 1st to take Boller too.....anyone see a pattern here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes