PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Trey Lance Carted off with an air cast on his leg

Yes, and given the way we follow these guys from time they become NFL draft possibilities, it would be nice if they never got injured and we got to see their full potential. For me, and so many others here, I'm always reminded that most of these guys are just kids with extraordinary athletic ability. To see their gift taken from them so early so frequently is the most difficult part of the game. The really long-term injuries are the toughest - especially the head injuries which is why ice hockey has a sadness that interrupts admiring a fast, physical, sudden game.

I mean, how much were we all looking forward to seeing rookie Tyquan Thornton flying down the field? Fortunately his injury - broken collar bone - won't affect his speed, but the poor kid could even reach week one with being put on IR.

Everybody knows and understands the risks and the inevitability of injuries in football at every level. Sometimes I don't know how the coaches do it. North Dallas Forty - both the movie and book - did a nice job of capturing the conflicting emotional and physical toll of football. It's still one of Nick Nolte's best movies along with 48 Hours I and II, and Cape Fear with DeNiro and Jessica Lange.
North Dallas Forty is an all-time top 3 football movie.

Everybody knows and understands the risks and the inevitability of injuries in football at every level. Sometimes I don't know how the coaches do it. North Dallas Forty - both the movie and book - did a nice job of capturing the conflicting emotional and physical toll of football. It's still one of Nick Nolte's best movies along with 48 Hours I and II, and Cape Fear with DeNiro and Jessica Lange.

I liked the opening scene of the movie, when Phil Elliot wakes up the morning after a game, and while he relives all the hits he took he takes a nice hot bath...while smoking a jibber...

For some reason everyone loves moving up, and hates moving down, in the draft.
Not everyone.

Losing record without Jimmy is being kind. I saw a graphic yesterday where it stated that Shanahan was something like 2 and 20 something with QB's other than Jimmy G.

Real shame about Lance though. BTW- I understand his selection. He actually is a bigger version of Patrick Mahomes. Closer to a Josh Allen Clone A great combination of size speed and extra ordinary arm strength. On the down side he played less than 2 years at a division 1A school since his 2020 college season was abbreviated due to Covid.

He was a risk obviously but his enormously physical gifts, when combined with his reported intelligence, football IQ and willingness to work, didn't make it an outrageous decision, especially when you consider Jimmy's proven fragility. We won't be able to truly judge Lance's true value until AFTER he plays for 3 years, just like Allen didn't burst on to the scene until his 4th season in the league
Other than never performing at ALL in school. It's sort of akin to trading 3 1st rounders to draft Matt Cassel. Not quite.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back