PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Trey Lance Carted off with an air cast on his leg

For some reason everyone loves moving up, and hates moving down, in the draft.
The draftnik community was ready to pillory the Niners when it looked like they were going to draft Mac, but when they switched to Lance everyone was like "Yeah, this makes sense."

I never understood it. If Lance were a mediocre starter for two years then blossomed into something approaching Lamar Jackson on a good day, that would have been an unexpectedly good outcome of the pick, but even that would have frittered away the Niners' current championship contending window. To get Lance, the Niners traded away the pick that was used to draft Micah Parsons and a bunch of other assets in a year where they missed the Super Bowl by a dropped INT. How is this not already considered a travesty?

Looks like season ending surgery.

OMG! That twitter page is grim and voyeuristic. Injury after injury and their own "medical team" assessing how bad each guy is hurt. Sorta like the "Every Mike Tyson Knockout" feed on YouTube. As much as you know you should, you can't look away. Great name, too. "Sports Injury Central" like it's a store or something. I may have to set up a knock-off page like "Injury Depot" or "Injury Hut" or maybe "Injuries Express."

At their web site they feature five ghoulish team doctors under the banner "Meet the SIC Team Doctors Behind The SIC Scores." Sick is right. Here they are discussing their side gig:
vulture.jpg

Thank you for sharing SIC with us?!?

Last edited:
I will be once again rooting for Jimmy this year for how poorly Shanahan handled this. This is by far the weirdest QB situation we’ve seen in a very long time. A QB was 33-14 as a starter, goes to two NFCCG’s and a Super Bowl, yet the team drafts a guy, hands him the job and holds Jimmy hostage to reduce his salary at the 11th Hour. Oh and Shanny has a losing record without Jimmy. Jimmy won again yesterday.

And his injury was from a designed running play running into a crowd. What do you think of that @Triumph?

Last edited:
I always felt like Jimmy G was going to play a lot this year so be it.:cool:

I will be once again rooting for Jimmy this year for how poorly Shanahan handled this. This is by far the weirdest QB situation we’ve seen in a very long time. A QB was 33-14 as a starter, goes to two NFCCG’s and a Super Bowl, yet the team drafts a guy, hands him the job and holds Jimmy hostage to reduce his salary at the 11th Hour. Oh and Shanny has a losing record without Jimmy. Jimmy won again yesterday.

And his injury was from a designed running play running into a crowd. What do you think of that @Triumph?
That is dramatically underselling things

from 2017-2021 the 49ers are
31-14 with Jimmy
8-28 without Jimmy

o_O

Without Jimmy Shannahan is on the streets

31-14 with Jimmy
8-28 without Jimmy

o_O

JImmy is not Great but he wins Shannahan is very happy he has him the cupboard right now.

If Lance is lost for the season, it might save Shanahan's and John Lynch. If he was a disaster this year, it is most likely both will be gone. If Jimmy G leads them deep into the playoffs, it will be hard to fire them.
Maybe Shanny, but not so sure about Lynch. If Jimmy does well this year, you gotta wonder if it was wise to trade all those picks when they already had a decent QB. I think Shanahan gets Lynch fired somehow if the team does well with Jimmy. Good for the Pats if that happens b/c it reduces the value of the #1 that Miami is getting.

I think Shanahan gets Lynch fired somehow if the team does well with Jimmy
Shanahan hired Lynch, so it's not far fetched to think they will part ways.

31-14 with Jimmy
8-28 without Jimmy

o_O

Jimmy’s this generation’s Doug Flutie. People keep trying to find ways to keep him off the field, but all he does is win…. (besides the slightly minor exception of choking away a SB in the 4th quarter…. :) )

Does this make sf super bowl contenders again? Nfc playoff field just got tougher imo

Does this make sf super bowl contenders again? Nfc playoff field just got tougher imo
Could, depending on how that D is looking this year and if Kittle can actually play

Losing record without Jimmy is being kind. I saw a graphic yesterday where it stated that Shanahan was something like 2 and 20 something with QB's other than Jimmy G.

Real shame about Lance though. BTW- I understand his selection. He actually is a bigger version of Patrick Mahomes. Closer to a Josh Allen Clone A great combination of size speed and extra ordinary arm strength. On the down side he played less than 2 years at a division 1A school since his 2020 college season was abbreviated due to Covid.

He was a risk obviously but his enormously physical gifts, when combined with his reported intelligence, football IQ and willingness to work, didn't make it an outrageous decision, especially when you consider Jimmy's proven fragility. We won't be able to truly judge Lance's true value until AFTER he plays for 3 years, just like Allen didn't burst on to the scene until his 4th season in the league

Could, depending on how that D is looking this year and if Kittle can actually play

Oh is kittle hurt too? Just kinda amazed how good that team is when if not for blowing a couple 10 point leads in the 4th qtr theyd have won a sb with jimmy g in 2019 and at least gone back to another last year.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Wish other ath-a-letic, jumpy punk QBs suffered the same fate whenever they decide to take off and make themselves the show...

insert tom brady 2023
Can you imagine the Mrs if that happens ? He’d become the West Coast’s most eligible bachelor ! TMZ is salivating…

Losing record without Jimmy is being kind. I saw a graphic yesterday where it stated that Shanahan was something like 2 and 20 something with QB's other than Jimmy G.
He's 8-27 before the start of the season. He lost the first game so he's now 8-28.
Real shame about Lance though. BTW- I understand his selection. He actually is a bigger version of Patrick Mahomes. Closer to a Josh Allen Clone A great combination of size speed and extra ordinary arm strength. On the down side he played less than 2 years at a division 1A school since his 2020 college season was abbreviated due to Covid.

He was a risk obviously but his enormously physical gifts, when combined with his reported intelligence, football IQ and willingness to work, didn't make it an outrageous decision, especially when you consider Jimmy's proven fragility. We won't be able to truly judge Lance's true value until AFTER he plays for 3 years, just like Allen didn't burst on to the scene until his 4th season in the league
He's played about 3 games in 3 years now. You got to wonder how that will affect him.

OMG! That twitter page is grim and voyeuristic. Injury after injury and their own "medical team" assessing how bad each guy is hurt. Sorta like the "Every Mike Tyson Knockout" feed on YouTube. As much as you know you should, you can't look away. Great name, too. "Sports Injury Central" like it's a store or something. I may have to set up a knock-off page like "Injury Depot" or "Injury Hut" or maybe "Injuries Express."

At their web site they feature five ghoulish team doctors under the banner "Meet the SIC Team Doctors Behind The SIC Scores." Sick is right. Here they are discussing their side gig:
View attachment 45490

Thank you for sharing SIC with us?!?
If you follow the NFL you will be interested in injuries. Sad commentary perhaps, but it wouldn’t exist but for the demand.

OR Trey Lance is the next Giovanni Carmazzi. The 49ers have screwed up badly in the draft before looking for that next gifted athlete at QB.

Here was the 49ers scouting report before they actually selected Giovanni high in the draft and passed over a certain 199th overall pick: "This is Scouting 101,” said Mariucci. “Gio was a Rhodes Scholar (candidate), did really well in the Wonderlic (intelligence test). Was a point guard on the basketball team. He was a captain. He was very athletic. He had a very strong arm. He ran a 4.7 40 (yard dash) ... My point is he had all of the measurables academically with intelligence and he had all of the measurables athletically.”

And let's not pretend this was a no-brainer pick either. Strength of competition South Dakota State, really? Lance didn't play football for 18 months, very little tape, lots of scouts didn't feel he was ready. Lots of scouts felt he was risky. To me that does not add up to a top 3 pick. Much as people love to tout upside, Trey Lance could be as big a bust as we've ever seen in recent years.

"For a potential top-10 pick, Lance has played shockingly little football. Born May 9, 2000, Lance is the only 20-year-old quarterback in this draft class and the only likely first-round pick out of the Football Championship Subdivision of college football. He also didn’t come close to playing a full 2020 season; the Bison played just one game, in October, against Central Arkansas and canceled the rest of Lance’s redshirt sophomore slate due to COVID-19. That Central Arkansas game was one of Lance’s shakiest—he completed 15 of 30 passes and threw the only interception of his college career. Before that, Lance had thrown only 288 passes in his college career."

Last edited:
If you follow the NFL you will be interested in injuries. Sad commentary perhaps, but it wouldn’t exist but for the demand.
Yes, and given the way we follow these guys from time they become NFL draft possibilities, it would be nice if they never got injured and we got to see their full potential. For me, and so many others here, I'm always reminded that most of these guys are just kids with extraordinary athletic ability. To see their gift taken from them so early so frequently is the most difficult part of the game. The really long-term injuries are the toughest - especially the head injuries which is why ice hockey has a sadness that interrupts admiring a fast, physical, sudden game.

I mean, how much were we all looking forward to seeing rookie Tyquan Thornton flying down the field? Fortunately his injury - broken collar bone - won't affect his speed, but the poor kid couldn't even reach week one with being put on IR.

Everybody knows and understands the risks and the inevitability of injuries in football at every level. Sometimes I don't know how the coaches do it. North Dallas Forty - both the movie and book - did a nice job of capturing the conflicting emotional and physical toll of football. It's still one of Nick Nolte's best movies along with 48 Hours I and II, and Cape Fear with DeNiro and Jessica Lange.

Last edited:

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back