PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sad news, Marty Schottenheimer has Alzheimer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had similar thoughts.

You become a burden and cause so much pain and grief for your loved ones.....

My father ODed on opiates. I think it was more accidental than intentional, but he didn't exactly have a lot of will to live left, because of my mother's condition as well as his own.

They were Hemlock Society members.

They actually died two days apart.

My father ODed on opiates. I think it was more accidental than intentional, but he didn't exactly have a lot of will to live left, because of my mother's condition as well as his own.

Sorry to hear it man...

I can't imagine a worse end-of-life experience.

Sad to hear about Marty. May God bless him and his family.

Seeing this sad news reminded me of the time that Rex Ryan took a public shot at Marty, claiming that if he had that Chargers team he'd have a couple of rings. I'll be thinking of Marty on Sunday.

I am really sorry to hear this, the only silver lining is that there have been some really major breakthroughs recently and human testing of them could come as early as next year, hopefully we will see real progress fighting this awful disease as soon as possible.

I always thought Marty was a great coach that didn't get the respect he deserved. He didn't fumble the ball, Byner did, He didn't miss the kick, Kaeding did, I think there was another missed kick in the playoffs with KC, and he took a Washington team that started 0-8 to 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB and was rewarded by being replaced by Steve Spurrier. He is actually my third favorite coach behind Belichick and Lombardi.

Yeah. I have family members under orders that if I ever get it, once things get bad enough, to do whatever they can legally do (including temporarily moving to another state if need be) to painlessly put me down.

I have the same arrangement with an Army buddy. I don't think my family members would be up to it. It started off as kind of a joke "hey, when I get senile, take me skydiving and make sure my chute doesn't deploy". But, it's actually something to think about.

I always thought Marty was a great coach that didn't get the respect he deserved. He didn't fumble the ball, Byner did, He didn't miss the kick, Kaeding did, I think there was another missed kick in the playoffs with KC, and he took a Washington team that started 0-8 to 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB and was rewarded by being replaced by Steve Spurrier. He is actually my third favorite coach behind Belichick and Lombardi.

If Marty had one....one SB ring he'd have a better than decent shot at getting into Canton but his playoff record killed it.

Damn man, sorry to hear.

If Marty had one....one SB ring he'd have a better than decent shot at getting into Canton but his playoff record killed it.
Might have happened if they didn't replace him with Norv after the Lights out game.

My Uncle has it right now. Just a horrible disease to have. He doesn't recognize any of us and his brain just plays tricks on him. He packed all his belongings and when his daughter asked him why he said the cops were coming for him. He said he killed a guy in the war and that the cops were gonna get him. My Uncle was actually never in a war, just tricks the disease is playing on him. We had a birthday party for my late mom last summer and while he didn't recognize any of us, he did give my mom's hairdresser a hug, like she was some long, lost love!

I just pray my Dad doesn't get it.

Lin Elliott missed three field goals with KC vs Colts in 96 playoffs. He was unlucky more than anything else. He beats and makes the SB in 86 & 87 if: A) The D doesn't allow an 97 yard drive. B) Ernest Byner doesn't fumble. That's not on Marty. He beats the Jets if Kaeding doesn't miss a FG in 04. He told his players to go down on a potential game clinching interception...his player does the opposite against us in SD. He deserved alot better.

I had an aunt that I was very close to, would sleep over at her house when I was younger and she would visit my mom every Sunday. The last time I visited her, she had no idea who I was. I was a complete stranger. She would repeat the same questions over and over. Shortly after that, her son put her in a nursing home. You hear about Alzheimers but it is shocking to see it up close and personal.
So true. I have a friend who was an only child whose Mom lived with her. She went through a rough divorce & then her Mom developed Alzheimer's. She was a single mom in debt who needed to work every day, but she would get calls from neighbors that they found her mom wandering around the neighborhood lost (thank God for good neighbors who would take her mom home for a cup of tea and call my friend). When she wasn't outside wandering around lost her mom would do things like put the burner on on the stove and forget about it. My friend's only solution was to put her mom in a nursing home on a locked floor so she would be safe. Then it was hard to visit because her mom didn't recognize her or her young son, who found the visits frightening. Very sad...

So thoughts & prayers for Marty S. and anyone else who has to deal with this terrible disease.

Last edited:

Boy that's rough on the ones left behind, no matter what the circumstances. Sorry for your losses.

Boy that's rough on the ones left behind, no matter what the circumstances. Sorry for your losses.

Thanks.

I was the only one left behind, actually. Tiny family. While I have in-laws, a step-daughter and so on, I have no living blood relative who I've met twice in my life.

wrong...you've got Pats fan brethren numbering in the thousands.

My mom passed away two years ago from dementia. I spent five years previous to that caring for her. Anyone who has ever experienced this calamity first hand knows how heart wrenching the ordeal is. I look forward to the latest research in stem cell therapies to finally make a dent in the progression of this awful disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes