PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sad news, Marty Schottenheimer has Alzheimer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Head Coach

I always wished that he would have stayed in the NFL and won a Championship. Those Browns teams were loaded and some exciting football. Martys pre game speeches were legendary and made you want to run through a wall. Sadly, John Elway kept showing up to rain on Martys parade or something would go wrong like the "Fumble"
Always liked Marty. Very sad to hear about this. Was always rooting for him in those games with the Browns. I always remember his "gleem" speech. "There's a gleem gentlemen, a gleem." I bet 95% of his players were thinking, WTF is a gleem, lol.

Great Head Coach

I always wished that he would have stayed in the NFL and won a Championship. Those Browns teams were loaded and some exciting football. Martys pre game speeches were legendary and made you want to run through a wall. Sadly, John Elway kept showing up to rain on Martys parade or something would go wrong like the "Fumble"
Always liked Marty. Very sad to hear about this. Was always rooting for him in those games with the Browns. I always remember his "gleem" speech. "There's a gleem gentlemen, a gleem." I bet 95% of his players were thinking, WTF is a gleem, lol.

I wonder if this is CTE related?
I'm sure a case could be made that there is a connec
I know the post was just a joke, but it is a living hell for the person. To have a thought, start to speak, and then be unable to finish cause you couldn't remember. It robs the person of his humanity, to be able to interact with those around him. You lose interest in all that you love. It is simply awful.
Yes, and not to mention the loved ones left behind scarred by the memory of watching the person suffer and slowly die unable to help or ease the suffering.

He played for the (then Boston) Patriots as a linebacker towards the end of his career for 2 seasons, (69-70).

He coached some really tough and respected teams. Sad news

Last edited:
I've also had someone close to me have it. It's beyond cruel.

Yeah. I have family members under orders that if I ever get it, once things get bad enough, to do whatever they can legally do (including temporarily moving to another state if need be) to painlessly put me down.

Great Head Coach

Or Troy Brown.

Yeah. I have family members under orders that if I ever get it, once things get bad enough, to do whatever they can legally do (including temporarily moving to another state if need be) to painlessly put me down.

I've had similar thoughts.

You become a burden and cause so much pain and grief for your loved ones.....

I wish him and his family all the best.

I had an aunt that I was very close to, would sleep over at her house when I was younger and she would visit my mom every Sunday. The last time I visited her, she had no idea who I was. I was a complete stranger. She would repeat the same questions over and over. Shortly after that, her son put her in a nursing home. You hear about Alzheimers but it is shocking to see it up close and personal.

I understand the attempt at humor, but if you had a close friend or family member and experienced it then you'll understand why this isn't very humorous.

I think it's all perspective, everyone is different.. some use humor to help deal with sad or horrible things

I have an aunt that is diagnosed with terminal cancer, knows she's going to die, but still picks at herself and the cancer with jokes, etc

Great Head Coach

Elway tends to that wherever, whenever

I had an aunt write me letters when I was 8 asking me to send money because someone was in her house holding her hostage. Then the next sentence would be her talking about a nice walk she had. 99% sure the person holding her hostage was a home healthcare professional.

It's just the ****ing worst. I don't wanna get into ranking of afflictions but pain can be mitigated. The terror these people endure is just awful.

Went through it with my grandfather and it was horrible. It takes your loved ones away from you before they die.

Yup, it's tough to watch. Went through it with my father.

I've had way too much in my family -- grandmother, mother, two parents-in-law. Plus my other grandmother had strokes, and my father had milder "senioritis".

At least my grandfathers stayed sharp to the end, working into old age as a professor and a physician respectively ...

I had an aunt write me letters when I was 8 asking me to send money because someone was in her house holding her hostage. Then the next sentence would be her talking about a nice walk she had. 99% sure the person holding her hostage was a home healthcare professional.

It's just the ****ing worst. I don't wanna get into ranking of afflictions but pain can be mitigated. The terror these people endure is just awful.

My mother thought she was in a Nazi prison, and hung up the phone on me when I wouldn't get her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes