PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Romeo's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Pees promoted to DC, Patricia to LBs, and Pepper at DL, there's really no place for RAC. But if the two sides wanted him to return I'm sure something could be worked out.

Belichick was an assistant head coach and secondary coach for the Patriots in the 1996 season. Technically, the only person ahead of him was Parcells and Groh reported to him that year. I just can't see Romeo coming back as a position coach or Scarnnechia giving up the assistant head coach job to bring Crennel back.

No offense to Crennel, but why do we need him back? Under Pees we are second in the league in points allowed. We have let only one team score more than 17 points this year and that was Colts. We have three games this year where the Pats' defense didn't give up a single TD (and only one of those games did we give up any points on defense) and four others where we only allowed one TD (we did allow field goals in those game). We are third in rush defense. Eighth in Interceptions. We have one of the best red zone defenses in the league.
H'mm, I had read it where BB was assigned there to help Groh with his DC duties, specifically game planning, but Groh was the DC and the decision maker during the game. The Asst. Head Coach is usually an administrative position, and not a second in command role as I understand it for most clubs.

It's not a question of need. The man is an excellent coach, despite the troubles in Cleveburgh. If he came free on the market due to Lerner's short-sighted thinking, he would be a worthy hire. We all grouse at draft time, but BB doesn't draft for need (first), this wouldn't be a need hire, just a best coach available choice. Frankly, I would expect Charlie to be as competitive as Mangini in recruiting Romeo. And I would be surprised if Romeo did come back, but then this is still the best springboard to a new HC opportunity and a chance to watch the HC process with new eyes under a friend. No need, just nice to have. :cool:

What makes people think Crennel would be willing to come back if he was fired. It would be insanely humiliating to leave a job for greener pastures and then coming crawling back to the same job when you failed. There's a good chance he would choose to save some of his pride and dignity and keep the Patriots in the past. He's moved on.

The culprit on that team is Savage. As an example, at the combine, Romeo said that the player he most wanted was Haloti Ngata, because he was an ideal 3-4 NT, although he was certain Ngata wouldn't be available so late in the draft.

But at the draft, Savage had the opportunity to draft Ngata, but instead traded slots with division rival Baltmore, who took Ngata, while Savage took Wimbley.

Why is this indicative of poor decision making?

Second only to McNair's leadership, IMO the reason for the revival of Baltimore is Ngata. He has effectively stopped the inside run game, and allowed Batlimore's bevy of decent but overrated LBers to run free to the ball making plays, exactly as Ray Lewis begged for prior to the draft.

Meanwhile, although Wimbley has pass rushed well, the Browns are allowing 133 yards rushing per game, and spent silly money on Ted Washington.

In a division and league where stopping the run on defense is the sine qua non, Savage handed his division rival a Wilfork, when he needed one more than anything himself. It becomes clear that BB disciple Ozzie Newsome was the force behind the Ravens superlative drafts, not Savage, who also has a habit of making unnecessarily controversial comments to the press.

If Romeo returns I think it will diminish Peas' authority, and wonder if that is a good idea considering the inspirational job he is doing.

Last edited:
What makes people think Crennel would be willing to come back if he was fired. It would be insanely humiliating to leave a job for greener pastures and then coming crawling back to the same job when you failed. There's a good chance he would choose to save some of his pride and dignity and keep the Patriots in the past. He's moved on.
He left for an opportunity to be a Head Coach, Cleveburgh is hardly greener pastures. He may not wish to come back if fired, and I have no problem with that and with wishing him well wherever he goes as long as he isn't coaching against the Pats - he earned that from me with the job he did for the Pariots. I just don't see the problem with bringing him back here if the opportunity arose, how many position coaches do we know out there who we would want to see here ahead of RAC?

He left for an opportunity to be a Head Coach, Cleveburgh is hardly greener pastures. He may not wish to come back if fired, and I have no problem with that and with wishing him well wherever he goes as long as he isn't coaching against the Pats - he earned that from me with the job he did for the Pariots. I just don't see the problem with bringing him back here if the opportunity arose, how many position coaches do we know out there who we would want to see here ahead of RAC?

I mean greener pastures in that he got to run the show, which is what most coaches want.

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome him back if he wanted to come. He is a great coach and was a great defensive coordinator. I simply saying that I would be suprised if he wanted to come back.

I mean greener pastures in that he got to run the show, which is what most coaches want.

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome him back if he wanted to come. He is a great coach and was a great defensive coordinator. I simply saying that I would be suprised if he wanted to come back.
No surprise that he doesn't want to come back, but how does it go...home is where, if you have to go there, they have to take you in...:D

thats a lie.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9838606

says they support him and believe in him.

hes not going anywhere but if he was..why wouldnt u want him back? So what if we demote Peas..Romeo was a tremendous DC..not saying Peas isnt but we seemed better with Romeo

it does sound that they do support him and I think drafting Alan Branch and picking up Damion Hurad in Fa, would go a long way to help him keep that job. I admit I do not know a whole lot about the browns but, I believe their oline was ruined with injurys, if it comes back heathy, the browns should be much improved. Who's the running back? Some second tierd guy Right?

it does sound that they do support him and I think drafting Alan Branch and picking up Damion Hurad in Fa, would go a long way to help him keep that job. I admit I do not know a whole lot about the browns but, I believe their oline was ruined with injurys, if it comes back heathy, the browns should be much improved. Who's the running back? Some second tierd guy Right?

They have Reuben Droughns. He's the first Browns back to gain 1000 yards in a season in a while.

Crennel receives dreaded 'vote of confidence'

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../browns_gm_says_coach_has_his_support/?page=1

"Romeo has the total support of (owner) Randy Lerner and myself," Savage said. "He has the respect of the team. They believe in him. Randy and I are 100 percent behind him. We're going to do everything in our power to help him rest the next five games, the upcoming offseason and next year."

I think he should get another year because of Frye's inexperience alone.

Crennel's problem is what he inherited. At least the Carroll era produced some talent for BB to work with. Crennel came into a situation where Jeff Garcia was the starting QB with William Green the RB and a bunch of high-profile busts on the defense. It doesn't help matters that many of the leftovers still have the old losing mentality. I almost forgot about their preseason injures, so in my mind it would be an injustice to see Crennel get fired. Too bad in the NFL it's a win-now business.

H'mm, I had read it where BB was assigned there to help Groh with his DC duties, specifically game planning, but Groh was the DC and the decision maker during the game. The Asst. Head Coach is usually an administrative position, and not a second in command role as I understand it for most clubs.

It's not a question of need. The man is an excellent coach, despite the troubles in Cleveburgh. If he came free on the market due to Lerner's short-sighted thinking, he would be a worthy hire. We all grouse at draft time, but BB doesn't draft for need (first), this wouldn't be a need hire, just a best coach available choice. Frankly, I would expect Charlie to be as competitive as Mangini in recruiting Romeo. And I would be surprised if Romeo did come back, but then this is still the best springboard to a new HC opportunity and a chance to watch the HC process with new eyes under a friend. No need, just nice to have. :cool:

I said technically. The thing is we played a decent amount of 3-4 in 1996 if I remember correctly. That was the only year under Parcells that we did. That was a Belichick influence. I have a feeling he had a bigger role on our defense than what was put to the public. When they all went to New York the next year, Belichick became the DC and Groh ended up being a position coach. I think Belichick had far more influence on our defense that year than just being an advisor. But we will probably never know.

thats a lie.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9838606

says they support him and believe in him.

hes not going anywhere but if he was..why wouldnt u want him back? So what if we demote Peas..Romeo was a tremendous DC..not saying Peas isnt but we seemed better with Romeo

We also seemed better with Crennel in part because we had Ty Law (at least for most of his time), Harrison, Bruschi in his prime, Phifer, Ted Washington, and others. I think the 2003 and 2004 defenses had more talent at LB and in the secondary (well the second half of 2004 may be a wash in the secondary). Pees is in his first year of a pro level DC and doing a tremendous job. Who is to say he isn't going to be 10 times better than Crennel in a year or two?

Apparently owner Lerner's comments were cause for some concern in Cleveland. Savage met with Crennel before talking to the media and told him "I'm going to try and put an end to this." Given the history of our own BB's tenure in Cleveland, and the effect of media, lets hope Savage does a better job for Romeo!

Romeo is a great Defensive Mind. The BROWNS ownership knew this when they hired him. They have however pressured him to build the offense. Kellen Winslow is reported as worshiping Romeo as a coach. That being said. If the BROWNS would let Romeo focus on Defense like the BEARS, I could see his future in Cleveland being secure. But that is probably unlikely. Maybe we could get he and Kellen Winslow to come to Beantown, and maybe we could also teach a pig to be our new punter. Both are are probably as likely. I think that Romeo has tasted the Head Coach Cool Aid, and on top of that he has RINGS which makes him a commodity, if he leaves Cleveland he probably will land somewhere else as a top dog, maybe a powerhouse college like MIAMI, maybe the AZ Cardinals as Denny is most certainly on his way out the door. In any event he will always be welcomed in our house (Before Kick off and After the last play, of coarse). GO PATS!

Brown's owner Lerner was quoted in today's Globe as being "sickened" by his team's performance and antics on the sidelines as well. After two years of below par performance, does anyone else see Romeo's future as as a HC looking a little grim? I wonder if he might consider walking the sidelines for the Pats again?

Geez, how great would it be to see RAC back with Belichick in Foxboro. That would be a dream.

ps- Anyone else think Charlie Weis coaches the Giants next year?

Maybe it's my imagination, but usually one of the best ways to know when a coah's days are numbered is when there is a public expression of support for him.

Who knows, by the way, what's on RC's mind. I think most people rightly view head coach as the pinnacle of the profession, so as a result, it's natural to continue to keep climbing the ladder. But some guys figure out pretty quickly that it's not for them, and they choose happiness over ambition. Not often, and it's a profession that attracts people who want to be the best. Still, none of us knows what's in RC's mind. I'm sure he will do the best as a head coach as long as they let him stay, which could turn out to be a long long time. But I think that when guys get fired after their first HC job, it's often a time to ask, "what do I want."

Today's big win over the Chiefs may have just saved Crennel's job.

I think Romeo's best chance at another pro HC job is in fact to get fired after this season. He's relatively old for a first-time HC and the longer it goes before he's on the market again the worse his chances get. And if he's gone after this season most other teams might hold it against the team and not blame him, he wasn't given a real chance. That's a harder sell if he gets another year and doesn't significantly improve his record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News