PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Romeo's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Brown's owner Lerner was quoted in today's Globe as being "sickened" by his team's performance and antics on the sidelines as well. After two years of below par performance, does anyone else see Romeo's future as as a HC looking a little grim? I wonder if he might consider walking the sidelines for the Pats again?

Brown's owner Lerner was quoted in today's Globe as being "sickened" by his team's performance and antics on the sidelines as well. After two years of below par performance, does anyone else see Romeo's future as as a HC looking a little grim? I wonder if he might consider walking the sidelines for the Pats again?

I'd love to see Romeo back. But I'm not sure how possible that'd be.. I think the coaching staff here has moved on. Pees would be asked to step down? If Pees left ala Mangini, then sure Romeo would probably be on the list, but I don't see how you can demote Pees just because Romeo becomes available. And I'm sure Romeo wouldn't want to go from HC to anything less than DC.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Romeo back. But I'm not sure how possible that'd be.. I think the coaching staff here has moved on. Pees would be asked to step down? If Pees left ala Mangini, then sure Romeo would probably be on the list, but I don't see how you can demote Pees just because Romeo becomes available. And I'm sure Romeo wouldn't want to go from HC to anything less than DC.

Romeo could come back as assistant head coach overseeing a variety of things if BB values his input that much, but you're right. It seems that Romeo is proving he doesn't have what it takes to succeed as a head coach in the NFL.

Romeo could come back as assistant head coach overseeing a variety of things if BB values his input that much, but you're right. It seems that Romeo is proving he doesn't have what it takes to succeed as a head coach in the NFL.

Romeo could come back if Belichick feels he is burnt out and would like to go in the front office for a few years. Romeo will have big money thrown at him to be a DC for a team. Not unthinkable he could get $2 million a year for a desperate team...I think this is the scenario we will see...and the next question is....will it be for Mangini and the Jets???

Forgot to mention ... on SI ... they ranked all the QB's and Charlie Frye was dead last...This is why the team is going nuts, players turning on each other...not RAC.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2678546

Last edited:
I have no idea how it would work out for the Patriots, as Crennel and Pees have both proven to be extremely competent and both deserve to be no less than Coordinators.

I do know one thing, though, Crennel is a dead man walking. I will be very surprised if he's back in Cleveland next year. VERY surprised.

I don't know about not proving he has what it takes.

As far as I know he is not the GM there and he isn't responsible for all the personnel decisions.

They lost the entire DL last season. Maybe some didn't like playing 3-4 but the entire DL. that is a lot of turnover to then expect Romeo to hold together a D and transition from the 4-3 to the 3-4.

Couple that with a horrendous OL and playing a 2n/3rd? year 3rd round draft pick QB. That is a recipe for success.

If they got rid of Romeo they would have to most likely go back to a 4-3 alignment just due to the lack of other credible 3-4 coaches around. So many other teams have started 3-4 the last 2 years that all the guys with experience are either HC or DC somewhere.

I don't know about the discipline issues; maybe that is a reflection on Romeo. But look at the stupid stuff coming out of TO and other guys who are on teams with coaches that are supposedly disciplinarians. (Strahan - Shockey anyone). The way players are these days who can really control them. So if one guy gets pissed off at his teammates for poor effort while they are down 30-0; if I were the coach I would be egging him on not trying to discipline him. Some of those other guys need to get fired up; or just fired.

Anyway if RAC did get canned; I would not see him back on the Pats. Anyplace he went would just be a temporary stopping point til he gets another HC offer either NFL or college. Facts are NFL is trying to encourage minority hiring and he is just too good as a DC not to get another shot as a HC. How many other guys "appear" to have done better on their second shot than their first (another former Browns HC perhaps for example.......BB).

More than anything Romeo has been done in by injuries and a lack of talent. It'd be dumb to fire him now, though I wouldn't be surprised if he got the axe.

I'd like to think someone else would give him a shot. You have to assume that were he forced to take a non-head coach position it'd only be temporary.

If he does have to go back to coordinating temporarily the best thing for him to do would be to go to a good team. NFL owners aren't really smart enough to realize the team was already good before he got there, they just look for who the coordinators are on the good teams.

New England would make sense if not for Pees. From all accounts Pees is doing a good job and you want to keep him. Demoting him would mean someone else grabs him.

playing a 2n/3rd? year 3rd round draft pick QB. That is a recipe for success.

Seems we did OK with a 2nd-3rd year 6th round draft pick QB but I agree that is a rare event. I'd love to have RAC back maybe as an asst Head Coach. I recall a similar situation when BB left Cleveland and that worked out well for him and us:) Isn't Dante currently asst HC? and perhaps that position could be split. We have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the NFL and RAC would be good to have for so many reasons. If it worked out for him, he's be a great addition.

But wouldn't that mean demoting Dante?

That would require Dante Scarnecchia to step down. He is currently the assistant head coach of the Patriots.

Personally, I don't see Romeo coming back. It would be a double step back since not only would he get a demotion, but it would almost look like Crennel cannot function without Belichick. I think if Romeo is fired, he will either follow Weis into the college ranks or go to another team other than the Patriots to be the DC. I think it is best for him if he ever wants to be a head coach at the NFL again. He needs to get out of the shadow of Belichick.

Forgot to mention ... on SI ... they ranked all the QB's and Charlie Frye was dead last...This is why the team is going nuts, players turning on each other...not RAC.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2678546

One of the things I admired most about RAC, and what was perhaps missed most by our players, was his ability to communicate and connect with his players. A sometimes essencial quality in a DC/OC or line coach, (especially for us with a HC that is somewhat "bussiness-like"!). However much RAC wanted the HC challange, he may be better suited to DC. I'm thinking it may be frustrating and lonely for Romeo at the top job in Cleveland. If he's got the wrong guy in there for his QB, the blame will fall to Romeo if his team is falling apart, not the QB.

Who knows his future something tells me it might be the Jets.

What was that quote about forgetting history? ;) (No really, I've forgotten it.)

BB spent some time working as an assistant to Defensive Coordinator Al Groh when Parcells brought him back into the fold. Should Lerner be so inept as to fire Romeo, I see the only obstacle to his return to be the demand for his talents as a DC. Really people, how many of us have been canned from a job, did we tell ourselves we would only accept an equivalent or better position, or did we take a step back and work our way back up?

Romeo would be an ideal hire by the Patriots and Pees wouldn't be any too worried about his backside if he was hired. With the many demands on this forum for drafting/buying replacement LBs, I'd say BB/Pees would be happy to narrow Patricia's focus to either OLB or ILB and use Romeo to work with the other, or bump Pepper back to LB and have Romeo resume his DL saga. Which would free Pees/BB up to help with DBs who may be in transition too.

Now that I think about it, c'mon Lerner, can the bum!

I think that this is part of the problem with McDaniels as OC. His age may be a detriment that works against him.
Limburger chucklehead? Brilliant! :bricks:

What was that quote about forgetting history? ;) (No really, I've forgotten it.)

BB spent some time working as an assistant to Defensive Coordinator Al Groh when Parcells brought him back into the fold. Should Lerner be so inept as to fire Romeo, I see the only obstacle to his return to be the demand for his talents as a DC. Really people, how many of us have been canned from a job, did we tell ourselves we would only accept an equivalent or better position, or did we take a step back and work our way back up?

Romeo would be an ideal hire by the Patriots and Pees wouldn't be any too worried about his backside if he was hired. With the many demands on this forum for drafting/buying replacement LBs, I'd say BB/Pees would be happy to narrow Patricia's focus to either OLB or ILB and use Romeo to work with the other, or bump Pepper back to LB and have Romeo resume his DL saga. Which would free Pees/BB up to help with DBs who may be in transition too.

Now that I think about it, c'mon Lerner, can the bum!

Belichick was an assistant head coach and secondary coach for the Patriots in the 1996 season. Technically, the only person ahead of him was Parcells and Groh reported to him that year. I just can't see Romeo coming back as a position coach or Scarnnechia giving up the assistant head coach job to bring Crennel back.

No offense to Crennel, but why do we need him back? Under Pees we are second in the league in points allowed. We have let only one team score more than 17 points this year and that was Colts. We have three games this year where the Pats' defense didn't give up a single TD (and only one of those games did we give up any points on defense) and four others where we only allowed one TD (we did allow field goals in those game). We are third in rush defense. Eighth in Interceptions. We have one of the best red zone defenses in the league.

I think that this is part of the problem with McDaniels as OC. His age may be a detriment that works against him.

:blahblah:

NEM hijacking a thread to turn it into an attack on the Patriots' offensive coordinator. How original.....

Age shouldn't be a detriment to communication. On the other hand....:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangini isn't that much older and he is doing ok as a head coach. Jon "Chucky" Gruden was doing well as a head coach for the Raiders at 35. Guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the guys at Google, etc. were leading multibillion corporations at McDaniels' age. I don't get what age has to do with it.

I said this before, most of the criticism of McDaniels are the same things that people were complaining about Charlie Weis in 2002. In 2002, Weis was too predictable, gave up on the run too easily, made horrible adjustments, and used trick plays that never worked. Because of Weis over-reliance of using Marc Edwards on a FB draw that rarely worked that year, I cringe every time Heath Evans gets the ball. Weis turned out ok. I bet McDaniels does too.

I would like to find some way to bring Romeo back into the fold, if for no other reason than to keep him away from Mangini.

So, instead of another wise ass comment, you have no opinion. Figures.

You are the assclown, not I.

Have a nice day AC.
But darling NEM, you swore to unmask me in previous diatribes. I no longer waste my time attempting to discuss football with a creature so ignorant and arrogant in its position. Instead I enjoy the NEM favorite of name-calling with you. It's what you have worked hard to attract and I am happy to oblige after your ill-mannered behaviors. I now have one opinion which I bother to share with you - you are a swine, squealing shrilly when you get youself wedged in a fence while trying to reach something you shouldn't have.

As that darling little swine NEM would trot out in its arrogance - have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes