OT: Reiss revamping his personal site

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along that Mike has re-designed his personal site and it sounds like he's going to try to be picking up the posting pace there. It is his personal site, mind you, so I don't think there'll be much point to reading it for sports news.

From the initial post on the revamped site:
Mike Reiss said:
The objective in launching this site was to establish a platform that shares the more personal and behind-the-scenes side of things, while also raising awareness for charitable and community causes that are most meaningful to me.

[snip]

So let’s see where it leads, as I hope the momentum of the new look of the site (thanks Amanda Santucci!) sparks an exciting beginning that provides a different perspective for those interested in taking a peek behind the “sports journalist” curtain with a more personal touch.

Explaining the objective of MikeReiss.net

IMO he is the best Pats writer around, hopefully he will make a break from ESPN and venture out on his own.. but suspect he will need a few regularly scheduled media gigs for this to happen and continue his income sources.

Looks like FURoger.net

IMO he is the best Pats writer around...

Which is true but sad, because as writers go he's no great shakes. He's competent but not creative or adventurous at all, and his writing is a bit on the dry side. Mostly we like him because he's not sold out to the local sports entertainment drama industry.

Ah, for the old days...now get off my lawn!

Which is true but sad, because as writers go he's no great shakes. He's competent but not creative or adventurous at all, and his writing is a bit on the dry side. Mostly we like him because he's not sold out to the local sports entertainment drama industry.

Ah, for the old days...now get off my lawn!

Think Curran is credible for the most part. Reiss has to conform that what ESPN expects, thus the lack of "adventure".. might be better on his own.

He has a somewhat "mechanical" aspect to him though that effects his presentation.

Think Curran is credible for the most part. Reiss has to conform that what ESPN expects, thus the lack of "adventure".. might be better on his own.

He has a somewhat "mechanical" aspect to him though that effects his presentation.

Reiss is a good writer but Curran is vastly superior in getting the scoop and is better connected with the team and in the league. Seems like Reiss does a lot of insight and synthesizing of info and not surfacing intelligence on the team.

At the end of the day, as a consumer of sports news I want information that isn't of the garden variety. I don't want to be spoon-fed. I want the data so I draw my own conclusions.

Hate to say it but the Volin piece and Curran's G2 on Easley was an example of exactly what I want.

Howe is approaching that level as well but has a ways to go.

Reiss is a good writer but Curran is vastly superior in getting the scoop and is better connected with the team and in the league. Seems like Reiss does a lot of insight and synthesizing of info and not surfacing intelligence on the team.

At the end of the day, as a consumer of sports news I want information that isn't of the garden variety. I don't want to be spoon-fed. I want the data so I draw my own conclusions.

Hate to say it but the Volin piece and Curran's G2 on Easley was an example of exactly what I want.

Curran also has established "cred" so he can add a dose of levity to his presentations.. when he worked for the Projo he was ok, but has gotten progressively better over time..

Mike Reiss is a class act, and deserves much, much better than ESPN. He doesn't do it often, but I remember when he called in to felger and mazz and challenged felger on air to get his facts straight and talked about getting info be fore sharing views, etc.. He said to felger "That's what good reporters do, Mike." (paraphrased, but very close ). Classic FU felger moment, done with style.

Just wanted to pass along that Mike has re-designed his personal site and it sounds like he's going to try to be picking up the posting pace there. It is his personal site, mind you, so I don't think there'll be much point to reading it for sports news.

From the initial post on the revamped site:

Explaining the objective of MikeReiss.net

Thanks for the information. Really looking forward to the site. He is definitely my favorite beat writer!!!!

I'd honestly pay a $1 or $2 per month to support Reiss and his site if he decided to try and go it alone. Not that I'd anticipate him delivering scoops on the same level as Curran, but simply because Mike's great at what he does, never over-dramatizes anything, and deserves much better than ESPN. I'd be interested to see what kind of product he could produce without ESPN lording over him.

I also found the Volin piece on Easley as very informative.

However, I had posted a link to one of Volin's articles on Easley and another poster said that he essentially makes things up. What is the story with Volin?

I don't live in Boston so I'm less familiar with the Patriot beat writers apart from Reiss and Curran (both of whom I really like), and of course Borges and Tomase (which I am careful to completely ignore).

I also found the Volin piece on Easley as very informative.

However, I had posted a link to one of Volin's articles on Easley and another poster said that he essentially makes things up. What is the story with Volin?

I don't live in Boston so I'm less familiar with the Patriot beat writers apart from Reiss and Curran (both of whom I really like), and of course Borges and Tomase (which I am careful to completely ignore).

Volin shoots from the hip a lot. He also trolls the fanbase and fails to apply logic to information.

Jeff Howe from the Herald is pretty good. He does good work.

Given ESPN's despicable treatment of NE the past several years, I wonder if Reiss' access to the team has been diminished in any way. I'm sure they respect Reiss but not his employer…..and if I was BB and Krafty, I'd tell ESPN to pound sand a get the eff out of the building.
Regarding Reiss' work…I appreciate the man's work ethic…the consummate professional…I just wish he did his live chats again because that level of dedication set him apart. I really can't believe Mike has not gotten bored covering one team all these years. There must be some itch he needs to scratch. Maybe when BB and Brady go, Reiss will join the exodus……LOL

Today Mike tried his oatmeal with nonfat milk, but added raisins. Usually he has his oatmeal with brown sugar and 2% milk, but he wanted a combination that would give him reduced fat while maintaining high flavor and energy levels. Results were promising; he will update us with progress reports.

Given ESPN's despicable treatment of NE the past several years, I wonder if Reiss' access to the team has been diminished in any way. I'm sure they respect Reiss but not his employer…..and if I was BB and Krafty, I'd tell ESPN to pound sand a get the eff out of the building.
Regarding Reiss' work…I appreciate the man's work ethic…the consummate professional…I just wish he did his live chats again because that level of dedication set him apart. I really can't believe Mike has not gotten bored covering one team all these years. There must be some itch he needs to scratch. Maybe when BB and Brady go, Reiss will join the exodus……LOL

I definitely miss his live chats. Those were honestly something i looked forward to every week. Can't believe ESPN took that away from him.

Was about to post, so freakin what-he is dead to me; but then I re-read the title and noticed it was Reiss and not Revis. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye