Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
One of my first football memories as a child was my excitement and anticipation to watch Joe Namath quarterback the LA Rams on MNF during his final season. This was my chance to watch a living legend perform and I wasn't going to miss it. I wish I had. Joe was a broken...he was a shell ....he should never have been on that field. Four INT's.....and a horrible memory that should have never been allowed. The lure of celebrity.......a legend exploited to sell tickets and maximize viewership. A disgusting display that too often drives professional sports.

Fast forward to the City of Angels, 2015 and read this article...
Scott: Benching Kobe this season 'not an option'

No doubt the NBA is a different beast than the NFL, especially with free agency rules that give NBA stars incredible power. These days, the biggest names use their leverage to build their own rosters and determine coaching staffs. For owners, the upside of surrendering power can be fruitful, leading to a string of championships (any Lebron team).... but the downside can be crippling (hello Carmello's Knicks).

And then there is the Lakers. Magic Johnson was the uber-powerbroker of his era and Kobe Bryant eventually assumed that title. Unfortunately for Laker fans, current management refuses/is unable to extract itself from the shared power relationship it has with Bryant.....and it has nothing to do with the product on the court. Three years ago, the Lakers signed on for the most lucrative cable package in NBA history ($3 billion/20 yrs) and they feel obligated to continue to roll out their one decaying star regardless of the standings. Joe Willie Namath all over again. And Bryant is no fool. ($25 mill this year) There is a tidal wave of money to be had in L.A. and he correctly understands not only his marketing value for this team but his role in helping create that pot of gold. The 2015 L.A. Lakers is a TV show.....nothing more.

On to the NFL with completely different structures of roster, TV money, etc.......and using the NE Patriots as the antithesis of the Laker model.....a selfless star QB sacrificing $$$ for the betterment of his team.....a franchise that shows little sentiment, unafraid to eject pieces regardless of fan attachment. Winning trumps all else. Even the Broncos pushed aside their celebrity piece when the product faltered.

The San Antonio Spurs most resemble the NE Patriots. Their stars have sacrificed $$$ in the name of wins.
Not in L.A. ........money, power, money, celebrity, money................................................and 48 minutes of the corpse of Kobe Bryant. I hate the NBA...where tanking is a privilege not to be taken lightly....at least in Philly.
There is so much to love about the Patriot organization....the anti-Lakers.

Last edited:
I hate everything the NBA stands for. Which is unfortunate, because I find basketball players, along with soccer players to be some of the most gifted athletes on this planet.

I really don't get it. How was Joe Namath ever good if he threw more picks than TDs? It was a different time, but it sounds to me like he was just a blowhard who called his shot once and that got him a free pass for eternity.

But I'm only 20 so I'm sure I missed a lot by not watching his tape.

I hate everything the NBA stands for. Which is unfortunate, because I find basketball players, along with soccer players to be some of the most gifted athletes on this planet.
Why?

I think its loyalty and I have no problems with it when you consider Kobe helped them win 5 championships. Some teams go decades before they can even sniff at one but 5 rings. Let the man have his fairwell tour even though he is stinking up the place. I know some will hate me when I say this but I would applaud the pats if they did the same for Brady and his case will be different because he would in nfl terms accomplished more than anyone and his cap hit won't kill the team. He also might have 6 rings by then. So if he is not his elite self and throwing ints after ints I will still sit and watch and admire all he has done because the worse that can happen is we don't win and Super Bowl and get a good draft pick and I would stand up and clap my hands red when he steps off the field for the last time. Loyalty.

No team building involved. A bunch of self centered "stars" that run the show. And if they dont get what they want, they leave town and form a super team with other stars.

I love seeing San Antonio win, and I was amped when Golden State won last year. That's the way teams should be built, but that's rare in the NBA.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bitter because the Celtics should be a major destination for any NBA player. Great history, in a great sports town, but for some reason, NBA stars don't want to play in Boston.

I could be missing something about Brady, but I cannot see him playing past his ineffectiveness--that is, given that he would have such a choice. I think he will bow out in the same way that Manning seems to be bowing out--and maybe even quicker.

Brady will leave when he is not good anymore. I remember him saying so in an interview somewhere. But if he does decide to play anyway i would still support it. I know we have experienced unprecedented success but if there is anyone that would deserve a fair well tour, it's him.

As long as we're comparing across sports, here's a question I've been discussing with my Bay Area friends:

Who loses first, Patriots or Warriors?

I will never criticize any athlete for taking the money

Heck lebron was bashed when he took less in 2010.

At some point, NBA players and coaches decided that it's better for the players to dog it heading to the playoffs than to give the paying customers their best, if they play at all. I'm glad that I dumped them many years ago.

Sorry borg, but this part of your post almost knocked me off my chair. For owners, the upside of surrendering power can be fruitful, leading to a string of championships (any Lebron team)

Lebron James is the most over-rated and over-hyped player in NBA history. Every time I see a lowlight he's missing a shot or throwing a ball away at a key moment. After 12 years in the league he should be more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News