PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Pansy Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllabouttheVinces

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
While we wait for real football to watch, I've been watching a bit of the World Cup, which I call Pansy Football.

Isn't it sickening to see these fakers moaning and writhing on the ground because they got tripped? Or worse yet, they take a dive and then act like they were mugged?

Can you imagine these pansies playing for Belichick or Parcells? :rofl: Never happen.

Gotta tip the cap to McBride, though. He really did get mugged, and walked off without saying a word to get all the blood cleaned up. OTOH, the Brazilians are the best in the world, and they dive and whine better than anyone too.

:nono:

I would rather watch two flies making out.

Another reason to be thankful that we are Americans.

Last edited:
while i have loved the World Cup, the biggest thing i hate about soccer/football is just what you are talking about. I hate them taking dives to get a call and rolling around like their leg was broke. That's why it will never be popular in America...that and the fact that America sucks. Other than that, i have been enjoying the World Cup.

Boston Boxer said:
That's why it will never be popular in America...that and the fact that America sucks.
I really, really hope that you meant the American team sucks.:confused:

Boston Boxer said:
while i have loved the World Cup, the biggest thing i hate about soccer/football is just what you are talking about. I hate them taking dives to get a call and rolling around like their leg was broke. That's why it will never be popular in America...that and the fact that America sucks. Other than that, i have been enjoying the World Cup.

"not popular in the US"-soccer happens to the #1 youth sport in the US, as far as players taking dives and soccer being a "pansy sport" I sure would like to see some you guys running around for 90 minutes and seeing how long it would take you to get up from a kick to your leg.

balls.jpg

Keep in mind that soccer players wear practically no padding while they play, yet the contact can be equally as brutal. I was watching a match earlier this summer where the injury, although not of the same specific nature, reminded me of watching the repeats of Theisman's. It was gross. Soccer is an extremely rough sport to play.

And the assertion that "pansy" sports are not successful in America is a little off. I'm pretty sure golf is big over here. So is baseball, which albeit is not a pansy sport, but it still lacks a lot of contact (with the exception of plays at the plate and hit batters).

In fact, hockey, which can rank itself near football in terms of physicality, is not nearly as popular as baseball is in the US.

Soccer is not a "pansy" sport. Yes players dive a lot and I don't like that part of the game. But for every player with a reputation for being a "diver", there are many, many more who are not.

miamipat said:
"not popular in the US"-soccer happens to the #1 youth sport in the US, as far as players taking dives and soccer being a "pansy sport" I sure would like to see some you guys running around for 90 minutes and seeing how long it would take you to get up from a kick to your leg.

I'd like to know where you got that from because I couldn't find it after 10 minutes of googling. I would think youth baseball/softball would be the most popular in this country, with basketball high up on that list as well.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
I'd like to know where you got that from because I couldn't find it after 10 minutes of googling. I would think youth baseball/softball would be the most popular in this country, with basketball high up on that list as well.

The reason you couldn't find it is because it's a myth...as in made up by soccer enthusiasts.

OK Mike, I'll see your photo of the poor soccer guy getting his balls grabbed and raise you this one:

football_blocked_punt-t.jpg

Who would you rather be?

AllabouttheVinces said:
While we wait for real football to watch, I've been watching a bit of the World Cup, which I call Pansy Football.

Isn't it sickening to see these fakers moaning and writhing on the ground because they got tripped? Or worse yet, they take a dive and then act like they were mugged?

Can you imagine these pansies playing for Belichick or Parcells? :rofl: Never happen.

Gotta tip the cap to McBride, though. He really did get mugged, and walked off without saying a word to get all the blood cleaned up. OTOH, the Brazilians are the best in the world, and they dive and whine better than anyone too.

It's funny. When I go on an unofficial Manchester United fansite that I frequent, they talk about "pansy Americans who dress up in pads to play a slower version of a fat boys' game (Rugby)". Neither your version nor theirs is right, although clearly (American) football is the rougher and more dangerous of the two. That's a no brainer.
However, if you think our version of football is soft, come over to the UK, head towards any inner city, join in a game and announce in your accent that "soccer sucks". :D
You're dead right about the preening primadonnas and actors, though.

gomezcat said:
It's funny. When I go on an unofficial Manchester United fansite that I frequent, they talk about "pansy Americans who dress up in pads to play a slower version of a fat boys' game (Rugby)". Neither your version nor theirs is right, although clearly (American) football is the rougher and more dangerous of the two. That's a no brainer.
However, if you think our version of football is soft, come over to the UK, head towards any inner city, join in a game and announce in your accent that "soccer sucks". :D

i agree with you gomezcat

ps = i loved the soccer till more or less beginning '80 - then...zero and now i dislike it (i see only the WC but only when Italy plays - ok...from 8th finals probably i will see more)

but the best sport in the world is without a doubt the NFL - our local friends are very lucky to have it - for us the are a lot of difficulties only to see by tv...

AllabouttheVinces said:

The only good thing about soccer is when one of those idiots gets hurt, they just roll them onto a stretcher and cart them off the field while they're still in pain. Other than that, I get no joy from watching the sport.

PATSNUTme said:
I really, really hope that you meant the American team sucks.:confused:

yes, American soccer sucks. I am in the Military, so i am very pro America
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
miamipat said:

don't get your panties in a bunch...i have played soccer all my life...just don't care for the blatant flopping.

My comments :

- I lived in England from 5-12 so I loved soccer.

- It's silly to call in Pansy Football.

- It's boring as hell to watch. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

- The thing that bugs me most isn't the actual flops, it's the "getting carried off on a stretcher only to hop right off and go back in the game" silliness. Are you hurt or not ?

- The other thing that bugs me is the rest of the world thinking that people in the U.S. aren't smart enough to understand the nuances which is why we don't get it. Bull. It's just boring. Let me guess, Crickett is more nuanced than baseball too :rolleyes:

- Did they used to give out this many yellow cards ? Admittedly I left England in 1979, a long time ago, but it didn't seem like every hard tackle that's 1/4 second late used to get a yellow card.

Ho hum, I do watch the U.S.'s games when they're on if I'm home but it's nothing to get excited about for me, even if our team was better.

gomezcat said:

I never said soccer sucks. I played it in college (OK, fraternity intramural, but we were the champs) and I've coached my kids teams. And the World Cup is good competition. But just once I'd like to see a ref give a yellow card for "bad acting" to someone who dives and grabs his shin. It ruins the game.

Oh, wait a minute, that sounds like Willie Mac against the Colts!

AllabouttheVinces said:
I never said soccer sucks. I played it in college (OK, fraternity intramural, but we were the champs) and I've coached my kids teams. And the World Cup is good competition. But just once I'd like to see a ref give a yellow card for "bad acting" to someone who dives and grabs his shin. It ruins the game.

Oh, wait a minute, that sounds like Willie Mac against the Colts!

Fair enough. I apologise, I was doing my defensive Brit act. I do actually agree that refs should give a yellow card for diving: it's in the rules. The other thing that they should do is give yellows and reds for dissent. In Rugby, if you challenge a ref's decision, he adds ten yards to the penalty and makes it clear in no uncertain terms who is in charge. I agree that soccer players are getting too big for their boots and something needs to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News