PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Packers Official Allegedly Intimidated Reporter Over Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perfectly okay to harass management if they're covering up an employee's domestic violence incident. It's news because the employee is a public figure.

Do you think Woodward and Bernstein were wrong to "harass" people to probe into a break in at Watergate?

Do you think Judith Miller and Chris Mortenson should have been allowed to cover for sources that provided then with lies?

I once believed in a free press, I no longer believe it exists.

Sure, but what does this have to do with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has one of the best football reporting staffs in the country?

They are part of the media, and I guarantee the corporation that owns them includes them in their entertainment division.

Sadly I no longer believe that's the case. Since the FCC allowed corporations to incorporate news departments into their entertainment divisions I believe the vast majority of media is geared towards attention and entertainment and most of those with actual ethics and integrity have been either disenfranchised of driven out of the industry altogether. Show me an honest news outlet and I will show you unicorns and my sex tape with Scarlet Johansen and Jessica Alba.

Seriously- can anyone point to any honest media outlet? I know I can't.

The closest I have seen to honest were Stewart and Colbert and both have moved on.
General rules of thumb: print journalism is more reliable than broadcast; local news sources are more reliable than national/international.

General rules of thumb: print journalism is more reliable than broadcast; local news sources are more reliable than national/international.

That's a general statement, and likely somewhat true, but no one can name an honest one.

I'm not going to spend my day on this. My basic point is that people and Patriot fans have every right to be cynical about the media, they brought it on themselves.

Most of the material advantages that you depend on to make it possible to do whatever you want wouldn't exist is the press were kept from shining the light.

Send me your address and I will send you my sex tape with Alba and Johansen.

Free press died a long time ago. All we get now is corporate Pravda.

Sure, but what does this have to do with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has one of the best football reporting staffs in the country?

That would be the paper that covered for Brett Favre for over a decade, right?

What this country and every town of city in it really needs is a lot more efforts like Boston Media Sports Watch and no more corporate media entertainment news.

Carlin was a great comedian. Unlike others, I don't exactly live my life according to his teachings.

Kinda sad to see that some view rights through a lens of "might makes it."

Not trying to derail the thread, but IMO Carlin was a gr8 comedian when he was younger. Towards the end he came across as a bitter old man, who wasn't particularly funny.

That's a general statement, and likely somewhat true, but no one can name an honest one.
I can name dozens of honest ones but it would mean nothing to you because you wouldn't recognize who they are. I'm speaking from experience because I was a newspaper reporter for 17 years (plus a few years part-time while going to college). The Internet has blurred distinctions and skewed perceptions. It's important these days to be discerning.

No more ridiculous than your claim that there are "a thousand good journalists for every Tomase."

Where have they been the last 8 months? Or eight years for that matter.

I didn't write that though I tend to agree with the sentiment. Is this really just being real mad that ESPN, which isn't even a news or reporting outlet, smeared the Patriots?

I can name dozens of honest ones but it would mean nothing to you because you wouldn't recognize who they are. I'm speaking from experience because I was a newspaper reporter for 17 years (plus a few years part-time while going to college). The Internet has blurred distinctions and skewed perceptions. It's important these days to be discerning.

I never said there were no honest members of the media, I said there are no honest outlets. I realize there are still good people in the industry I just feel that the reconstruction of the industry after the FCC changed the rules to allow corporations to make their news divisions part of their entertainment divisions has for the most part pushed them out in favor of TMZ styled reporting. A great example of this can be found right in Boston where Gary Tanguay has lost most of his jobs and decided that the best way to get time and attention is to simply LIE outright and play the contrarian. He has spent months and months saying outrageous things that have no basis in fact and as a result gets gigs at WEEI and Comcast solely for the purpose of pissing Patriot fans off and getting ratings. It's bullsh.t yet it gets treated as " oh well, that's the way it is." In fact one of his garbage takes was listed on this site just yesterday. Guys like Felger, Tomase, Tanguay, and Mazzerroti, and Borges LIE their asses off constantly and there is zero accountability for it, and that's just a small sample of sports media, I won't even bother getting into the lies of the political media.

Basically I have lost all faith in the media as a source of news and have no empathy for their rights as a result. I think it is all bullsh.t so I have no respect for the bullsh.tters.

I didn't write that though I tend to agree with the sentiment. Is this really just being real mad that ESPN, which isn't even a news or reporting outlet, smeared the Patriots?

It goes way way way beyond ESPN, all of the major news outlets ran with those stories and none retracted any of them or made any effort to get to the truth. The media as a whole has turned into a toxic waste dump. I stay out of politics as a rule but if I were to go there I would say the same thing, they are all agenda driven liars and none can be trusted.

I have no problem with you Tunes or with you defending those you feel have journalistic ethics, my problem is with the industry as a whole and unfortunately feel that it, like the entire political system in this country have been damaged beyond repair, and a lack of accountability is at the root of it.

It seems to you that MOST newspaper reporters are bad and good ones are the exception? Really? Again, I suggest you and anyone else here tempted to paint with such ignorantly broad strokes take care to distinguish between "reporter" and "columnist," as there is a very important distinction to be made between those whose jobs are to report facts and those whose jobs are to offer interpretive opinion.

As much as anyone, I resent certain columnists enough not to read them. But saying most reporters are bad at what they do is as ridiculous as claiming the same with any profession. For every Tomase (the baddest apple we've ever seen here) there are a thousand others who get it right every day.

Respectfully disagree.
Ever since around the early 90s "agenda journalism" has been the creed of J school.
No profession is or was ever pristine, but far more so than in the past mainstream journos are political operatives with a byline.

I have no problem with you Tunes or with you defending those you feel have journalistic ethics, my problem is with the industry as a whole and unfortunately feel that it, like the entire political system in this country have been damaged beyond repair, and a lack of accountability is at the root of it.

I agree. It seems that the goal of some media outlets is to splinter the perspectives against one another. They all are less concerned with accuracy and more concerned with agenda.

But there are still those who try to present the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes