PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Orton hears a "boo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT : Orton hears a "boo"

It would probably help in Denver if they could get Marshall back on the field and remove the hair across his ass. He was in court all this week and is nursing a hammy (probably a protest hammy).

Denver won 4 games last season. Anything over 4 this year is gravy. Josh needs to find a QB who can assimilate the system. Cutler was of almost no use to him. He also needs receivers who can. It may take a while. Would have here too if not for Brady, Bingo and Patton - who were 5-5 after their first 8 games together with 2 years of Charlie Weiss as their OC and BB as their HC...

It would probably help in Denver if they could get Marshall back on the field and remove the hair across his ass. He was in court all this week and is nursing a hammy (probably a protest hammy).

Denver won 4 games last season. Anything over 4 this year is gravy. Josh needs to find a QB who can assimilate the system. Cutler was of almost no use to him. He also needs receivers who can. It may take a while. Would have here too if not for Brady, Bingo and Patton - who were 5-5 after their first 8 games together with 2 years of Charlie Weiss as their OC and BB as their HC...

Denver was 8-8 last season.

Would have here too if not for Brady, Bingo and Patton - who were 5-5 after their first 8 games together with 2 years of Charlie Weiss as their OC and BB as their HC...

I think you mean 5-3 in Brady's first 8 games.

No, what I was gettting at (badly) was NE was a .500 team through week 10 of the 2001 season. And a sub .500 team in 2000. Rome isn't built in a day. And had Brady not turned out to be the replacement for Bledsoe they might have been a .500 team throughout BB's brief tenure...

Deus Irae said:
Denver was 8-8 last season.

I know. But for some reason 4 was stuck in my head earlier. I knew they were a .500 team, have essentially been that for 3 years now even with Cutler and Shanny... Broncos fans weren't booing Cutler and Shanny and after three consecutive lackluster seasons they probably should have been.

took me a second to realize it too but they had 2 losses before Brady took over.:D

PS Mo, I love the respect given to Patton because he was my binky for many years and to many people on here dont give it to him.

Last edited:

Watching Bills-Bears now. Cutler looked pretty crappy.

I think Simms will end up being the man for the Broncos.

Just watched Cutlers highlights...he shoulda had 3 picks too!! That one he just heaved ala Favre towards Hester blanketed by two defenders was a classic.

took me a second to realize it too but they had 2 losses before Brady took over.:D

PS Mo, I love the respect given to Patton because he was my binky for many years and to many people on here dont give it to him.

It's not always pretty or easy but you can win with driven football players as opposed to elite talents. Just watched some of Cleveland's highlights and Edwards is giving new meaning to the term waste of talent...

I've been ripping Cutler since his "hissy fit". I've also been saying I'd prefer an accurate Orton (with a decent career record) who will play the team game instead of the gunslinger Cutler.

It's only one game, but yikes - glad I'm neither McDaniels, nor a Broncos fan. Did I understand he was 3 for 3 (three drives, three picks) ?

Egg on my face so far. Even more if the Bears show something.

Just watched Cutlers highlights...he shoulda had 3 picks too!! That one he just heaved ala Favre towards Hester blanketed by two defenders was a classic.

Ironically Orton had a better QB rating than Cutler too (32 vs. 30) :singing:

I think it will be Sims to, but I'd still rather have Orton than Cutler (who I've always hated).

Orton needs to improve his pocket presence. He got antsy and made poor decisions leading to those int's, against a very weak pass rush.

Yes, Cutler was indeed putrid...

I think that even though McD has gotten off to a rocky start, the pressure to produce is much higher in Chicago. They've been saying they're a QB away - now they "have one".

I think the Bears will be no better than they were before.

Also : thank you to all the appreciators of my title. This second language stuff isn't too hard after all I guess.

Last edited:

I'm glad people are finding new and interesting ways to bash McDaniels.

People are making far too much on one preseason game (go look at the Jets boards and the overhype they are making on four passes by Sanchez). Teams and players who look like crap in the preseason can look great in the regular season. Remember Cassel's preseason last year? Half this board and the media expected him to be cut (myself included) rather than could believe that he could lead this team to 11 wins when Brady went down in the first quarter of the first game.

Orton is still getting to get continuity with his teammates. Both he and his teammates are still learning a new system that is more complicated than most of the offenses out there. Brandon Marshall was out. Just because Orton sucked in this one preseason game doesn't mean he won't improve dramatically over the season or even the preseason as he and his teammates get up to speed with the offense.

Even Belichick's offense struggled mightily when he first got here. With Bledsoe who is a better QB than Orton, Terry Glenn, and Troy Brown; the Pats' offense was 22nd in the league (25th in scoring). The Pats took a major step back in 2000 when Belichick took over while Belichick tried to remold the team into his onw vision. Not that I think McDaniels be remotely as successful, but the Patriots took a step back in 2000 when Belichick took over only to become a Super Bowl dynasty. McDaniels cannot be judged based on this year's success or failure, he needs two to three years to be judged.

That is all I will be speaking on the subject at least for a while. McDaniels is gone and certain people need to accept that. Based on what we saw on Thursday night, his legacy is still imprinted on the offense since Brady was in the shotgun 66.7% of the snaps, the Pats were a "vertical" offense, and the "predictabilty" was there. If this continues into the regular season, people may need to stop and think the person you may want to praise or curse about these things is Belichick and not McDaniels.

Why do you feel the compulsion to defend McDaniels? Just wondering. He got bashed whether he was or wasn't a Pats coach. As for Orton vs Simms. Ewww, definitely wouldn't want to be the Broncos. The Bears offense has stunk for a while for a reason. They've never had a premiere QB, and Orton won't ever be confused for that. At least he's not Rex Grossman but that's damning with faint praise.

Why do you feel the compulsion to defend McDaniels? Just wondering. He got bashed whether he was or wasn't a Pats coach. As for Orton vs Simms. Ewww, definitely wouldn't want to be the Broncos. The Bears offense has stunk for a while for a reason. They've never had a premiere QB, and Orton won't ever be confused for that. At least he's not Rex Grossman but that's damning with faint praise.

I just want to move on. I think it is ridiculous to bash McDaniels based on one preseason game. I am trying to table McDaniels discussion until is justified. I am loathing every week having to have another thread any time the Pats win and the Broncos lose with "See I told you McDaniels sucked". I have stepped out the McDaniels discussion long ago and other than my last post on the subject, I hope to for a long time coming.

Funny, how you ask how I have a compulsion to defend the guy when there are plenty of other people who defend him or bash him as much as I defend him who have already weighed in on this thread. I defend him because I feel he was an excellent Offensive Coordinator for us and gets to much crap from the haters (many who have converted to supporters after last season). He is someone else's coach now, for better or worse. I don't get why people want to continue to bash him.

I just want to move on. I think it is ridiculous to bash McDaniels based on one preseason game. I am trying to table McDaniels discussion until is justified. I am loathing every week having to have another thread any time the Pats win and the Broncos lose with "See I told you McDaniels sucked". I have stepped out the McDaniels discussion long ago and other than my last post on the subject, I hope to for a long time coming.

Funny, how you ask how I have a compulsion to defend the guy when there are plenty of other people who defend him or bash him as much as I defend him who have already weighed in on this thread. I defend him because I feel he was an excellent Offensive Coordinator for us and gets to much crap from the haters (many who have converted to supporters after last season). He is someone else's coach now, for better or worse. I don't get why people want to continue to bash him.

Well... for the record, the thread was only to mention my dissappointment in my overly aggressive defense of Orton vs Cutler. It wasn't meant to be a McDaniels bashing session.

Since Cutler also stunk it up, it's a wash. It has already been mentionned more than once that it is only one game. Chill out.

Well... for the record, the thread was only to mention my dissappointment in my overly aggressive defense of Orton vs Cutler. It wasn't meant to be a McDaniels bashing session.

Since Cutler also stunk it up, it's a wash. It has already been mentionned more than once that it is only one game. Chill out.

I gotta agree. I watched the Chicago/Bills game. Cutler made a couple plays, but I didn't see the major upgrade that Chicago was allegedly looking for.

It's going to be an interesting season, though. :)

Sorry. Didn't mean you. I meant others who hijacked the thread to make it about McDaniels.

Sorry. Didn't mean you. I meant others who hijacked the thread to make it about McDaniels.

Coolio. No worries then.

On an unrelated note, I found this on PFT today :

"Orton Hears A Boo" is catching on | ProFootballTalk.com

Yikes... no reason for any of you (who had previously praised my linguistic wizardry) to believe me - but for the record, the title created without having seen the early August PFT entry.

Vindication ? I guess Orton's 2nd go around was much, much better... and maybe experience will help him grow and beat out both Simms (for the job) and Cutler (for my pride).

Orton bounces back | ProFootballTalk.com

Vindication ? I guess Orton's 2nd go around was much, much better... and maybe experience will help him grow and beat out both Simms (for the job) and Cutler (for my pride).

Orton bounces back | ProFootballTalk.com

Yeah, he did look pretty good last night. Looks like he has a much better grasp of McDaniels' offense this week. He did make another mistake in the endzone throwing a bone-headed Tim Tebow-like jump shot with his left hand right into Ray Lucas' hands. Other than that, he looked real good.

Yeah, he did look pretty good last night. Looks like he has a much better grasp of McDaniels' offense this week. He did make another mistake in the endzone throwing a bone-headed Tim Tebow-like jump shot with his left hand right into Ray Lucas' hands. Other than that, he looked real good.

It was 4th down. In the regular season, they would have kicked a FG.

Still, better to keep the opponent at the 3 or 4 yardline. However, on the whole not that big of a "boo".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News