PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL Midseason Report (The view from Buffalo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061028/1032620.asp
Chicago papers run regular "Road to the Super Bowl XLI" updates.
-----
The funny thing about the 2006 season as it approaches the midway point is that Chicago is the only team looking truly super. There are a bunch of good teams in the top half of the league but no juggernauts beyond the Bears.
-----
Indianapolis is the only other unbeaten team at 6-0. But the Colts rank 31st in run defense.
-----
Denver is 5-1 and has a defense that has allowed just two touchdowns and an NFL-low 7.3 points a game. But can a team with Jake Plummer as its quarterback...be taken seriously as Super Bowl championship material?
-----
New England is 5-1 but is playing with a group of castoffs at wide receiver. The Patriots have a habit of turning into a great team by season's end. Right now, however, the Pats are not as good as the three New England teams that won the Super Bowl this decade.
-----
New Orleans is the surprise team of the NFL at 5-1.
-----
The bottom line: The chase to get to the Super Bowl in Miami on Feb. 4 is wide open.
-----
...here's a look at the NFL's highs and lows approaching the midway point of the season.
-----
Most Valuable Player: Peyton Manning.
-----
Defensive Player of the Year: Brian Urlacher...
-----
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Reggie Bush...Bush ranks eighth in the NFL in receiving with 39 catches...New Orleans receiver Marques Colston, a seventh-round pick from Hofstra, leads all rookies with 414 receiving yards. Honorable mention to New England's Laurence Maroney, who leads Bush in all-purpose yards, 773 to 642.
-----
Most disappointing team: Miami.
-----
Midseason playoff forecast: AFC - Patriots, Ravens, Colts, Broncos to win divisions; Chargers, Steelers for wild cards. NFC - Giants, Bears, Saints, Seahawks to win divisions. Vikings, Panthers for wild cards.
Chicago can peak in October, I'm cool with that.

Who is Reggie Bush?

The funny thing about the 2006 season as it approaches the midway point is that Chicago is the only team looking truly super. There are a bunch of good teams in the top half of the league but no juggernauts beyond the Bears.

Wow, who would have ever thought that a Rex Grossman led team would be considered a juggernaut:eek:

I just want to point out the assertion that this year's Pats team isn't as good as the 3 championship teams. '03 & '04 - Ok, I can agree with that. The Pats were nothing special 6 games into '01, heck I'd probably take this years team right now against the '01 team at the end of the year.

I think the analysis of the Pats is very positive since it is actually mentioned that they get better as the season goes on.

As for the Bears being a juggernaut, that typically isn't such a good thing this early in the season. The '04 Pats were an early season juggernaut that won the title and I struggle to think of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe