PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- Most overated athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELOrocks17 said:
hmmm..i dont know...Would Ryan Leaf be considered overrated, or overhyped?

Overhyped for sure. He wasn't in the league long enough to be overrated by anyone.

Baseball players not athletes???
- Look at the plays on sportscenter, and tell me they are not athletic, plays in the outfield, or at any other position for that matter. To have the coordination to hit a moving ball, (which you have no idea what velocity it will be coming at most of the time at 90+ MPH, or the specific type of movement on the pitch i.e. curve vs. slider vs. fast ball) which is smaller then an orange, its pretty insane to say that baseball players are not athletic, and that statement is probably coming from a person that is biased (anti-baseball). I would argue, that most of the QBs (most only throw a ball, and my that logic, they would be just as athletic as a pitcher, (while rolling out can be similar to fielding one's position) as well as most DTs and O-Linemen in the NFL are less athletic then 90% of baseball players in MLB...

As for overrated athletes - MIKE VICK – he might be good in a few years, if he can learn to stay in the pocket for more then 5 sec., and throw down field instead of running for 3-5 yard gains every time. He has the arm to do it, but does he have the mind for it…?

PatsSaintsSox said:
Baseball players not athletes???
- Look at the plays on sportscenter, and tell me they are not athletic, plays in the outfield, or at any other position for that matter. To have the coordination to hit a moving ball, (which you have no idea what velocity it will be coming at most of the time at 90+ MPH, or the specific type of movement on the pitch i.e. curve vs. slider vs. fast ball) which is smaller then an orange, its pretty insane to say that baseball players are not athletic, and that statement is probably coming from a person that is biased (anti-baseball). I would argue, that most of the QBs (most only throw a ball, and my that logic, they would be just as athletic as a pitcher, (while rolling out can be similar to fielding one's position) as well as most DTs and O-Linemen in the NFL are less athletic then 90% of baseball players in MLB...

As for overrated athletes - MIKE VICK – he might be good in a few years, if he can learn to stay in the pocket for more then 5 sec., and throw down field instead of running for 3-5 yard gains every time. He has the arm to do it, but does he have the mind for it…?

And yet an overweight drunk is a most revered hall of famer. huh. I wouldn't say I'm anti-baseball. I have no problem with it's existence. But, I wouldn't even necessarily consider it a sport. It's a 19th century pass time. That's why even though WEEI "talent" spend 97% of their air time talking Red Sox they rarely discuss baseball play. It's all front office and trades and salaries and scandals. The soap opera of sports media.

Michael said:
And yet an overweight drunk is a most revered hall of famer. huh. I wouldn't say I'm anti-baseball. I have no problem with it's existence. But, I wouldn't even necessarily consider it a sport. It's a 19th century pass time. That's why even though WEEI "talent" spend 97% of their air time talking Red Sox they rarely discuss baseball play. It's all front office and trades and salaries and scandals. The soap opera of sports media.

Alright, I'm going to give my opinion on whether baseball players are athletes. In some cases they are, but in others not so much. The same can be said about football players though. Are kickers/punters athletes? I think not. So, you can't make a generalization saying "baseball players are not athletes" because all shortstops in the league are athletes as well as all center fielders. Most other infielders, besides first basemen are as well. If you say all kickers/punters are athletes, then you must say that all pitchers and hitters are athletes as well. They all have a very defined skill that requires accuracy, hand/foot eye coordination, but not a person of the best physique. So, although baseball has more positions of "non-athletes" its not fair to the shortstops and centerfielders of the world to make a general statement of "baseball players are not athletes". Just my opinion.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
1 Barry Bonds - sick of all the hype for this steroid

2 Brett Farve- Was a great QB from 94-97 ,but Im not living on his every breath....

3 Kobe Bryant- Want to know why he scored 81 points, no one else is on the team...

4 Mike Vick- Will be cut in 4 yrs.. He is not good folks, Vince Young will make people forget about him...

Reluctant to put Farve,because I like him, but I guess the overhype is killing me..

I think the following should also be added to the list:

Vince Carter

Johnny Damon-Look at the stats-not a SUPERSTAR like everyone makes him out to be..plus i'm pretty sure i could throw a shotput further than he could a baseball

Matt Leinart-He will not be as good as Carson Palmer in the NFL. He benefits from many weapons and doesn't have a very strong arm.

Last edited:
FSUPatsFan said:
Matt Leinart-He will not be as good as Carson Palmer in the NFL. He benefits from many weapons and doesn't have a very strong arm.

So really Leinart should be overhyped. He hasn't even been in the NFL to even get a rating let alone be overrated.

Vince Carter I don't know. I rarely watch basketball but from what I've seen, the guy is pretty freakin' good.

Johnny Damon - Red Sox superstar
Johnny Damon - Yankee bum

This is Boston logic at its best, or at least its norm

FSUPatsFan said:
I think the following should also be added to the list:

Vince Carter

Johnny Damon-Look at the stats-not a SUPERSTAR like everyone makes him out to be..plus i'm pretty sure i could throw a shotput further than he could a baseball

NEM has got to be the most overhyped athlete ever. They say nobody ever carried the rock like NEM back in the caveman league, but I would say those people never saw MOG and ORG carry da rock. Those cavemen could carry the rock.

:D

mgteich said:
Johnny Damon - Red Sox superstar
Johnny Damon - Yankee bum

This is Boston logic at its best, or at least its norm

I have to be honest, I loved Johnny when he was in Boston, but even I admit that he was overrated while he was in Boston. Don't get me wrong, he was a GREAT player, but I'm not sure he was even the best leadoff hitter in the game. Statistically, Jeter was just as good, if not better, and he shouldn't even be a leadoff hitter. Johnny's second half was horrible. If he never looked like Jesus than he wouldn't have been as popular.

He will help the Yankees, and I am still pissed that he took the money and ran, but will he lead them to a championship. No. The Yankees may win the championship, but it will not be because Johnny carried them.

FSUPatsFan said:
Johnny's second half was horrible. If he never looked like Jesus than he wouldn't have been as popular.
I always thought the same could be said of Yeshua Ben Yosef.

Most Overrated Player

How the hell can this topic go without mentioning Warren Sapp? This has to be the most overrated defensive player of all time! I can name several Patriots players (Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour) who made more of an impact than him and went years without getting any fanfare and media coverage.

Last edited:
Tom Brady.......just kidding. It's gotta be Vick like most have said. For the money and hype his performance just doesn't equate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft