PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Mort has stage 4 throat Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one confused by this thread?

I don't wish death/cancer on him, but I don't suddenly care all that much about him either. There's plenty of people who aren't douchebags who have cancer that we don't have threads about. Rather see a David Bowie thread.

Feel free to start a Bowie thread and I'll be glad to add to the discussion.

I know, so did my friend. Maybe he was just one of the 70% that don't beat it. And beating only consists of living 5 years after diagnosis. Stage 4 means it has gone elsewhere in the body besides the throat, that's the part that is bad. Bowie had lung cancer that moved to his liver (stage 4).
Sorry about your friend. So awful....

Feel free to start a Bowie thread and I'll be glad to add to the discussion.

The world lost some key people to cancer this week. Nightmare on Elm Street's Wes Craven passed away as well.

This isn't just to you, it's to every piece of **** that mentioned deflate gate in this thread. ITS A ****ING SPORT. HE'S A JOURNALIST. HE WRITES WHAT SELLS.

This is about a man who has cancer, not about any ****ing sports controversy.
When someone close to you gets cancer, do you say "he disagreed with me once and I didn't like what he did but I wish him well"? Or do you just ****ing wish them well?

All of you ****ing hate this guy and and failing in trying to act as if you don't hate him for your "karma."

He did nothing to deserve this. His health and deflate gate should not be discussed together.
Things happen and people don't always react the same, welcome to Earth.

The world lost some key people to cancer this week. Nightmare on Elm Street's Wes Craven passed away as well.

And Alan Rickman. At least Mort has a chance to survive

I didn't care about Mortenson (other than to despise him for being a slimeball) before finding out he was sick and I don't care about him now.

I would never wish he got sick, but his being sick isn't some "OMG, I never gave a sh*t about the turd before so now I'm going to fall all over myself caring about him because reasons" moment. Screw that.

I hope he gets over it because cancer sucks and no one but the very worst deserve it.

But I'm going to care about him precisely as much as I did before he got sick.

I worked with two people that had this disease (maybe not stage4) but in fact did survive. Hoping for the best for Mort.
Yes, I'm very pleased to see that most of the Board has put aside our justifiable rage at Mort for what he did last January through his biased and erroneous reporting and instead responded to him as a human being facing a major health crisis. I hope you are right about his chances of making it; your friends were very fortunate, based on the statistics.

I hope he gets over it because cancer sucks and no one but the very worst deserve it.

But I'm going to care about him precisely as much as I did before he got sick.
IMO, those two sentiments are completely compatible. Someone smarter than me once said that it's the mark of intellectual and emotional maturity to be able to hold two, apparently contradictory ideas or sentiments in one's mind at the same time.

I wonder how this thread would have gone had the same news been about Roger Goodell. I don't wish cancer on anyone (lost a sister to it) but I can say without a shred of remorse that if Goodell got hit by a bus I would have to try very hard to stop myself from laughing. I guess that makes me a terrible person.

IMO, those two sentiments are completely compatible. Someone smarter than me once said that it's the mark of intellectual and emotional maturity to be able to hold two, apparently contradictory ideas or sentiments in one's mind at the same time.

He's a human being who doesn't appear to be bad enough to deserve to die. So I hope he recovers from it. Doesn't mean I care about him. I'd say that about any human by default. I see no contradiction between the two statements of mine you quoted.

Out of the 60+ posters in this thread, just 2 or 3.

And I pity them as much as I empathize for Chris Mortensen and his family.

There are many souls out there who are ill or hurting. My best thoughts go out to all of them. We're all in this soup together.

Some people can feel sympathy for him regardless of his wrongdoings. I applaud and respect people with that amount of compassion and humanity but still maintain that he is still accountable for his wrongdoing regardless of his health problems.

Some people have trouble mustering sympathy for him due to the fact he defamed someone and showed no remorse or regret over it. I understand the sentiment and disagree with the notion that they should be scolded for feeling that way. It's not the same as saying you're wishing a slow painful death on him.

He's a human being who doesn't appear to be bad enough to deserve to die. So I hope he recovers from it. Doesn't mean I care about him. I'd say that about any human by default. I see no contradiction between the two statements of mine you quoted.
Agree. I've been around a few more years than most posters on this board on average and I can honestly say that, in my life, there has only been one person whose serious illness drew from me the reaction, "Tough. Karma is a *****." He had done great harm to a friend of mine and many others and I could not bring myself to feel any human empathy at the news of his illness. I am not proud of that and I pray that I can find forgiveness in my heart, but I can not.

Mort is trivial to me, so his illness affects me as it would that of a complete stranger. I hope he recovers and does not suffer, but that's about it.

Wes Craven died in August..|

However, Richard Libertini (Awakenings) also passed this week from Cancer

I wonder how this thread would have gone had the same news been about Roger Goodell. I don't wish cancer on anyone (lost a sister to it) but I can say without a shred of remorse that if Goodell got hit by a bus I would have to try very hard to stop myself from laughing. I guess that makes me a terrible person.
Insert whatever name you'd like. The vast majority would feel sorry for the victim regardless. What part of this discussion didn't you understand? Hope Mort or any cancer victim recover 100%.

I'm surprised this thread has gone on as long as it has. But it has gotten me to think about the range of empathy required by a situation like this one.

Let's face it, the vast majority of us have limited empathy for strangers other than a momentary e.xpression of sorrow before we move on with our day. There are literally millions of Syrians living in horrible conditions in refugee camps and millions more under direct fire. We all feel badly for them.....WHEN we think about it, but few actually act on that emotion.

I don't like Morten Anderson. I think he handled the deflategate fiasco particularly unprofessionally. I didn't mind about the initial report where it was clear he was being used by the Kensil Cabal. My dislike runs to the fact is that after he never repudiated what he KNEW for a certitude to be false. hat is not being a professional, or a man.

So when I heard about his illness, I'm pretty sure my reaction was similar to most people here. I immediately went from,.... "That's too bad"....., to "Karma's a *****",...... to "that's not right, I hope he gets well". It is all about the fact that while we are all good people, we all have a dark side that pops up, even if it's momentary.

Now after a day of reflection I have come to place where I feel about Mort that same way I would feel about ANY stranger that I heard got ill. That's too bad, I hope they recover.....and then pretty much not give it another thought. Does it seem cold? Perhaps. But raise your hand if you gave a single thought to the plight of those Syrian refugee in the past week other than as a campaign slogan.

In summary, Mort is pretty much a stranger to all of us. We don't like how he conducts his business and we are sad that he got sick (thought IIRC, he was a heavy smoker). That's about it. On to the next sad story...because there is always going to be one.

BTW- on second thought I have a selfish reason for wanting Mort to get healthy. I want him in top shape when he is deposed and has to give testimony in the Brady defamation suit. Does that make me a bad person. ;)

When I read of a high profile guy like this being diagnosed with an advanced stage cancer or any illness, I wonder what kind of medical care he was receiving over the years.

For all of you out there, if you have acid reflux (and, if you have it, you know you have it) and are downing Tums or some other OTC antacid like it's going out of style, get your sorry butts to a good GI doctor, get an endoscopy and take it from there.

Believe me, I know from my own experience. I had an endoscopy about 15 years ago, which my doctor asked me to get on what he called a "hunch," after I told him I had acid reflux and was taking a lot of Tums. The test showed early signs of damage (but nothing even close to malignant yet). He put me on medication, the damage was reversed in about a year and I get an endoscopy every three years just to be sure.

Do it!

Over the last year or so ive been going through Tums like tic-tacs. Thanks for posting this, I'll definitely get to a GI and get it checked out!

Wes Craven died in August..|

However, Richard Libertini (Awakenings) also passed this week from Cancer
Lol. Someone told me Wes Craven just died. Last time I listen to that person again.

I will just say that Mort is in G-d's hands now and leave my feelings at that. I do feel sorry for his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST