PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Larry Fitzgerald does not expect to be back with the Cardinals next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anybody concerned that he's on one of the best teams he's been on in his whole career this season, yet he's dissatisfied with his role?

I feel as though his dissatisfaction has been accumulating for some time now. I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction.

I wouldn't be surprise if Fitz came here on a 1 year rental at a relatively affordable salary.

Reasons
1. It's almost a guarantee to make the playoffs
2. Playing with Tom Brady
3. Playing for BB
4. His numbers will probably be awesome and then he can re-test the free market after that
5. No distractions.

I'm speaking as a fan. I really want this to happen. Imagine, Fitz with minitron and Gronk. You still have LaFell and Wright (with a full off-season). Draft a couple on O-line. drooooooooooolllllll.

Yeah, that occurred to me, too, but I have to tell you: I'd hate it. One Year Rentals are usually disruptive to developing a Team's long term Success, even when the Player is effective. You can't usually simply Cut & Paste Players like you can in BaseBall or BasketBall. FitzGerald would be fun, sure, but if we can't get'm locked up for 4 Years at an offensively delicious Discount, I'd rather Draft & Develop...

But that's a Philosophical Choice. I can certainly see the Merits of what you propose.

Last edited:
Is anybody concerned that he's on one of the best teams he's been on in his whole career this season, yet he's dissatisfied with his role?

That's a very good point, although it should be pointed out that even The Great One squawked now and then.

Yeah, that occurred to me, too, but I have to tell you: I'd hate it. One Year Rentals are usually disruptive to developing a Team's long term Success, even when the Player is effective. You can't usually simply Cut & Paste Players like you can in BaseBall or BasketBall. FitzGerald would be fun, sure, but if we can't get'm locked up for 4 Years at an offensively delicious Discount, I'd rather Draft & Develop...But that's a Philosophical Choice. I can certainly see the Merits of what you propose.

I can see your point about developing. But how valuable would it be for the rookies to see a genuine HOF wr working in practice everyday? Just like what we're seeing with Revis now. I believe Fitz still had the ability to lift the whole offense.

I think he could give them a presence like Boldin did the Ravens and provide some toughness outside. They could pair him with LaFell and keep Edelman in n the slot full time. Give him a deal with a Lombardi incentive. He can keep the trophy at his house.

If there is any possibility the pats will do it. He has New England written all over him, time to give brady his first big play WR since Randy moss. Fitz will easily crack 1,000 yds with TFB and anyone that says they wouldn't want Fitz has got to be smoking the best crack money can offer. Money will most likely kill this situation though....

...anyone that says they wouldn't want Fitz has got to be smoking the best crack money can offer.

Nobody is saying that they wouldn't want Fitz, Genius. We're debating Price. Welcome aboard. :rolleyes:

I think the part that would get me most excited about Fitzy is his blocking ability on the outside. Between him, Lafell and Gronk, they could run bunch screens all day for Edelman, or run power sweeps. We would have the best blocking all over the field with the ability to just crush teams all game.

I really don't see a role for him on this team especially at 5/6M that people are projecting. LaFell makes 3M/year. Is Fitzgerald twice as good at this stage of his career to justify twice the money. Bill won't see that as value.

The combination of Gronk, Lafell and Edelman more or less averaged a thousand yards each. If I was looking for a compliment to that it would be the guy who can run the deep route. It's the component they lack.

Some lower seeded playoff team or team that just missed will end up overpaying him trying to get to the next level.

Hes going to a place with a stable QB not a "Rookie" - Wild guess would be "home" to Steelers
Steelers don't have the cap space, if he doesn't care about how much money he gets then he would probably stay in Arizona

Nobody is saying that they wouldn't want Fitz, Genius. We're debating Price. Welcome aboard. :rolleyes:
Nice play on words there but I recall saying that money will kill this situation and "IF" at all possible. So obviously I understand what the debate entails, just saying you would have to be nuts to not be intrigued with the possibility of having fitz. Thanks for the welcome bud and I look forward to talking more football with you.

Why would he give a reasonable price for NE and not his home team? The only reason they'd cut him is because his salary plus roster bonus is 16M. If he'd playy for much less than that, they'd do it. So you're saying he'd turn down 6M a year from Arizona but take it from NE? That makes little sense. He's already playing on a great team in a system he knows.

Why would he give a reasonable price for NE and not his home team? The only reason they'd cut him is because his salary plus roster bonus is 16M. If he'd playy for much less than that, they'd do it. So you're saying he'd turn down 6M a year from Arizona but take it from NE? That makes little sense. He's already playing on a great team in a system he knows.
I think he wants a QB, for a hall of fame receiver, playing with jags QBs must be terrible. The QB situation in Arizona is not gonna improve soon, Carlson Palmer has a long recovery to go through, they are drafting in the end of the rounds next draft and possibly in the middle of the package or low again in 2016.

Quarterback. Playing with 2 other good receivers and an all-world TE to take pressure off of him. Arizona is a defensive team and isn't going to quickly transition into a team that benefits Fitzgerald on a "me" level anytime soon. New England is a hybrid type offense/defense team that benefits from having one of the best QBs to ever play the game right now.

Pretty good situation for a receiver like Fitz. A defense that gets the ball back and an offense that knows what to do with it. The Cardinals only do one of those things well and I'll give you a hint, it's not the offensive part.

..unless you consider their offense offensive, which would actually make a strong argument that it is the offensive part.

I also get a laugh at the notion that they're true SB contenders this season. They're trending downward heavily. Barring a franchise altering injury, New England will still be a contender next season, AZ is no promise to be that.

Right they're trending downward because they're on their 3rd qb. When Palmer comes back, they're trending upwards, right where they left off.

Right they're trending downward because they're on their 3rd qb. When Palmer comes back, they're trending upwards, right where they left off.

Palmer, 35, coming off of his second ACL tear with no guarantee to be ready to play or be his old self for the start of the season, or ever. Who even is Carson Palmer? I've seen so many different versions over the past 10 seasons that I'm not sure which QB you'll ever see. He played great at times this season, maybe better than he ever has. So did Favre for a season in 2009. There are valid reasons to doubt you'll ever see this Palmer again.

I'm not betting any money on that team. Sorry.

Palmer isn't the future, he's a stop gap, and Fitzgerald knows that too. He's spent half of his prime playing with a revolving door at QB with that Franchise. I'd be pretty sick of it if I was him, you can only give so much to a franchise that does absolutely nothing for you.

The only real effort they ever put into getting a franchise QB for Fitz was drafting Leinart. It's pathetic.

Warner was a washed up backup who gave them 2 seasons nobody ever expected, Palmer gave them 1/3 of a great season.

Skelton.
Lindley.
Hoyer.
Stanton.
Thomas.
Kolb.
Anderson.
Hall.
Bartel.

What does Fitz owe to the Cardinals? They're a team that never took his talents seriously and are in no position to improve the QB situation in the near future. There are no big free agents and no sure-fire draft prospects they'll be in position to grab.

They're trending downward, Palmer won't change that. This team peaked already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand