PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets coach on sidelines trips opposing player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dolphin player was far enough out if bounds that this isn't as clearcut as it seems.
I disagree. If it was an accident, then certainly the Dolphins player would be at least partly responsible for having been so far out of bounds. And FWIW, I think the Dolphins player should have had a penalty thrown against him because it is illegal to run out of bounds for as far as he did.

But none of the above excuses a deliberate attempt to seriously injure a completely defenseless player.

Last edited:
As I just posted in another thread, this is a pretty clear-cut assault on national TV. The Dolphins player should press charges.
The injury doesn't seem serious so I doubt anything like that will happen. But I tell ya, I was thinking that if (hypothetically) this was a career ending injury, he would sure have one heckuva lawsuit.

Does anyone remember when Belichick got in front of an opposing player?

It's happened before. And was awesome gamesmanship.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when Belichick got in front of any opposing player?
I remember Bill Cowher once almost tackled a Jacksonville player on a play where the Steelers were kicking a FG to win the game, but it was blocked and the Jax player was going the distance down the sidelines.

The refs can (and are supposed to) award a touchdown if a ball carrier gets tackled by a player from the bench.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when Belichick got in front of any opposing player?

Didn't Billy Sullivan's son get into it with Howie Long?

I disagree. If it was an accident, then certainly the Dolphins player would be at least partly responsible for having been so far out of bounds. And FWIW, I think the Dolphins player should have had a penalty thrown against him because it is illegal to run out of bounds for as far as he did.

But none of the above excuses a deliberate attempt to seriously injure a completely defenseless player.

It was deliberate, see the guy's quote a few posts above. I give the guy a little credit for coming clean, but he will be suspended for at least the remainder of the year if not much longer.

I remember Bill Cowher once almost tackled a Jacksonville player on a play where the Steelers were kicking a FG to win the game, but it was blocked and the Jax player was going the distance down the sidelines.

The refs can (and are supposed to) award a touchdown if a ball carrier gets tackled by a player from the bench.

That should have been "an"... not "any" I remember a time when he prevented a player getting back in bounds.

the guy's post game apology to just about everybody who saw the game...would that sway you a bit?
Yes it well might. All I've seen is the youtube video and I myself can't really tell the depth from that video and and how obvious a move it was. My point was it looked like he was so close to the area the teams are allowed to be in that a small movement could cause a big effect. I will wait to see the replay of it on my TV, and see the apology.

From his apology...

My conduct was inexcusable and unsportsmanlike and does not reflect what this organization stands for.

Sal, you got that half right. It was inexcusable and unsportsmanlike. The second half of that statement is false.

Done by a member of the staff, a coach, with a play in progress? This guy didn't demonstrate poor judgment - he deliberately interfered with a play and could have injured a player (as a strength and conditioning coach, I expect he has some clue about physiology).

Statement time, Roger. Clear-cut case of trying to gain a competitive advantage.

heard jamie dukes trying to laugh this off on NFL network... thats such bull. I'm not saying it's the biggest deal in the world and the guy should be run out of the nfl bla bla bla he just made a stupid split decision. But you can't have people on the sideline tripping people that is just ridiculous and there should be repercussions

Done by a member of the staff, a coach, with a play in progress? This guy didn't demonstrate poor judgment - he deliberately interfered with a play and could have injured a player (as a strength and conditioning coach, I expect he has some clue about physiology).

Statement time, Roger. Clear-cut case of trying to gain a competitive advantage.

Do you honestly think Jetdell will do ANYTHING about this?

Jets 1st round pick. $500,000 fine to the team. $250,000 fine to him personally sounds fair.

Pretty clear he was purposefully trying to cheat.

Based on WHAT??

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend that the original 1/500/250 Penalty was even REMOTELY warranted.

But your post IS funny. :cool:

Francesa going off on this. Hilarious.

Similar to other things that Goodell has previously done, he has greased himself a slippery slope. He's already said that those within the organization that are not players are held to a higher standard. There was the Cowboys assistant coach that was suspended for four games for PEDs as one example, and the Titans owner who flipped the bird as another.

Point is that if Goodell does nothing, it will give the appearance that he has a double standard when it comes to the Jets. One time with a double standard could be explained, but two or three cannot.

If Goodell does not throw Alosi under the bus as a sacrificial lamb, he may find himself under a lot more scrutiny than he anticipated - or that he can talk his way out of.

Ahhhh....

NICELY put.

Even if he didnt stick his knee out, the fact that he didnt move out of the way or try to move out of way is grounds for trying to trip the return man.

Please stop talking.

Do you honestly think Jetdell will do ANYTHING about this?

No. That would be sarcasm.

I expect he will be fined $10,000 and have to miss the first hour of the Jets Christmas party. After all, he is very sorry he did it (or, shall I say, sorry he got caught doing it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News