PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jack Tatum dead at 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
With his latest conviction of raping a teen I would think that Taylor is a bigger dirtbag than Tatum was

LT is 100% wrong in this scenario and, without a doubt, should not have been with that young lady who was brought to him as a prostitute by her pimp, but I live in NYC and have been following this story in the tabloids and it's a little more complicated than you have it. I think I'll wait until the evidence comes out at trial, but it's more than reasonable that LT was told she was 18. As I said, he shouldn't have been there and this was real bad stuff, but I'm withholding judgment on the "raping a teen" part until the trial.

If you disagree, please send me a PM, as I don't want to hijack this thread over LT's story. I won't respond to anything posted here.

Same. Stingley is missed.

I think '74 was referring to the LT-Theismann hit, not the Tatum-Stingley hit, if that's what you're thinking. Just clarifying.

Anyway, I've been looking on some other boards and of course there are Raiders and Ohio State fans defending the hit and whining that it's the only thing most people seem to remember about Tatum. I've explained that the main reason was because (as has been mentioned here) Tatum, at least publicly, didn't seem remorseful. It's one thing to end a guy's NFL career, but Stingley was never able to walk again - that's a whole different story.

Also, it was a preseason game. Which of course is not to say that guys don't hit in those games, but they generally don't try to knock a guy into next week like Tatum did.

I think '74 was referring to the LT-Theismann hit, not the Tatum-Stingley hit, if that's what you're thinking. Just clarifying.

Agreed.

I was taught to say nothing rather than speak ill of the dead. Thus Stingley.

RIP Darryl...and that's all I'm going to say about that

I just saw on NFL Live on ESPN that they were talking about Tatum. I was disgusted at the misinformation. Suzy Kolber reported that Jack Tatum tried to visit Stingley in the hospital after the incident and that the Stingley family turned him away. I remember the incident and have followed Stingleys story for years and this is the first time I have ever heard this. Does anyone know if this actually happened or is it just another ESPN falsehood? Then Herm Edwards and Mark Schlereth were talking about how he was a different guy off the field and he was really a nice guy. When Herm said that Tatum had class, I thought I was going to puke.

Wow. I wasn't aware that Tatum tried to profit off of what happened to Stingley. This happened WAY before my time and had always thought they made peace. I rescind my R.I.P. post and side with those telling Tatum to burn in Hell.

Last edited:
I just saw on NFL Live on ESPN that they were talking about Tatum. I was disgusted at the misinformation. Suzy Kolber reported that Jack Tatum tried to visit Stingley in the hospital after the incident and that the Stingley family turned him away. I remember the incident and have followed Stingleys story for years and this is the first time I have ever heard this. Does anyone know if this actually happened or is it just another ESPN falsehood? Then Herm Edwards and Mark Schlereth were talking about how he was a different guy off the field and he was really a nice guy. When Herm said that Tatum had class, I thought I was going to puke.

This seems like major misinformation. The thing that was always galling about Tatum is that he always treated the whole situation as if he didn't know what the big deal was, and that he had nothing to apologize for. Never like to see someone die young, and what I'm sorry for is that Tatum never did the right thing before it was too late for both him and Darryl Stingley.

Suzy "Namath's rumpswab" Kolber,ex-titanic genius Jet head coach Hoim and mouth breather deluxe Schlereth..the Trio of Terrible..what did you expect? Tatum's quotes post Stingley's injury were horrific even by today's standards...and they're archived. More garbage and revisionist history from the vomitorium known as ESPN.

Same. Stingley is missed.

I was referring to the Theismann hit, but I can't watch the Stingley hit either, though for different reasons. The Theismann graphic is sickening in itself and all these years later I still can't erase the image from my mind; the Darryl graphic is unwatchable for me because I know what happened as a result.

God bless you, Darryl.

Last edited:
When I heard the new..... my thoughts went only to Darryl. RIP DS.

Condolences to those that mourn Tatum's passing. It's the best I can offer.

I just saw on NFL Live on ESPN that they were talking about Tatum. I was disgusted at the misinformation. Suzy Kolber reported that Jack Tatum tried to visit Stingley in the hospital after the incident and that the Stingley family turned him away. I remember the incident and have followed Stingleys story for years and this is the first time I have ever heard this. Does anyone know if this actually happened or is it just another ESPN falsehood? Then Herm Edwards and Mark Schlereth were talking about how he was a different guy off the field and he was really a nice guy. Wh en Herm said that Tatum had class, I thought I was going to puke.

Bunch of bull but what do we expect from BSPN.

He was a horrible human being. He tried to profit off paralyzing Darryl Stingley. The world is a better place today than it was yesterday.

Sorry, no need to be politcally correct for a guy like this.
Well said Rob. The guy was a class 1 ahole. i say f him and good riddance.

Tatum never showed up. he showed up to Stingleys house when he was writing his book and the family told him to get lost

T

Meh ...........

I will never forget this game
it was my first patriots game that
I saw in person
50 yard line .my seat were in the last row
I was able to watch the ambulance
drive away with stingley
I didnt think I would ever see him play again
after that hit .What a sad night it was .
That was the night I really started to
HATE the raiders !!!
rip mr stingley
AMF JACK !!!

Just watched NFL Network's Total Access segment on Tatum... nary a mention of the hit until the very end, and no footage of it shown. Sheesh.

Actually if you watch the play, Taylor was the first to wave for the trainer/physician to come on the field. his hit was not malicious ( as opposed to Tatum's) and he tackled Theismann oddly causing the injury.
If you can stomach it...
YouTube - Footballs Greatest Injuries - Joe Theismann

I don't doubt that, and yes, I've seen it a few times (actually Monday night football showed it repeatedly while telling people with weak stomachs not to watch). I was just pointing out the author's observation on Taylor's hit from the book, that his reaction of shock was supposedly not to the resulting injury but rather was a result of his phobia. Much of the beginning of the book discusses Taylor and how he played.

If I recall correctly (it has been a while since I last saw the Stingley hit), both hits were within the rules but Tatum violated an unwritten rule that you don't go postal in hits during the pre-season.

If this is indeed true, then FESPN has just sunk to a low more low than even I thought possible.

What an absolute disgrace of a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case