PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's official, Jameis Winston doesn't have the intelligence for the NFL

Jimmy Garoppolo will have a better NFL career than Jameis Winston. You read it here first.

If Garoppolo was in the draft this year, he'd probably be a top 10 pick.

Winston's not my favorite human being, and he reminds me of Joe Flacco in terms of his skillset; I'd say Flacco is his ceiling. His athleticism is overblown - he's a pocket passer, not a Wilson or Manziel type - and he's got all sorts of decision-making and mechanical issues.

He also has some type of problem with his shoulder ...

Mariota could end up going first ... leaving Winston to the Green Beans ... oh the fun that would be.

It's fascinating to watch the mob mentality when it comes to piling on draft prospects. If I took this thread seriously, I'd wonder how Winston won a single game in college, because I'd assume he was a barely functioning idiot who probably needs help feeding himself, nevermind playing football.

In the meantime, reports are that teams love his football I.Q.

Since we're sharing personal opinions, mine is that Winston is taking advantage of a piss poor draft class at QB this year, which allows him to be the top choice, despite his questionable off the field issues.

As far as his bold statements---I don't see anything wrong with it myself, other than continuing to put a target on his back. Only time will tell whether he's great, sucks, or falls somewhere in the middle. We all have our hunches, but no one really has any idea whatsoever.

I'm not really a fan myself, but that's just me.

Totally agree..........his off the field issues are well known. What is really concerning about him is the temper tantrums he throws when coaches try to correct him with his on the field decisions.

Don't envy the Bucs - their best bet is to trade the pick.

It's fascinating to watch the mob mentality when it comes to piling on draft prospects. If I took this thread seriously, I'd wonder how Winston won a single game in college, because I'd assume he was a barely functioning idiot who probably needs help feeding himself, nevermind playing football.

This is probably the first time I've agreed with you. Jameis Winston 's football IQ is top notch, and anyone who has watched Winston this season, will tell you that. Truth be told, his only off the field issue that concerns me is the rape allegation. I have a problem with his inability to identify underneath coverage, but with the exception of that he's probably the closest prospect to Luck on the field that we'll see for a very very long time.

Being a winning QB in the NFL is more about hard work and preparation than pure talent. In college teams win generally because they have more pure physical talent. In the NFL, the level of talent is basically the same. It call comes down to preparation. If Winston does not realize that, he will be a bust. Just like RGIII.

Since we're sharing personal opinions, mine is that Winston is taking advantage of a piss poor draft class at QB this year, which allows him to be the top choice, despite his questionable off the field issues.

As far as his bold statements---I don't see anything wrong with it myself, other than continuing to put a target on his back. Only time will tell whether he's great, sucks, or falls somewhere in the middle. We all have our hunches, but no one really has any idea whatsoever.

I'm not really a fan myself, but that's just me.
That's at least part of my point. Only an idiot wants to paint a giant target on his back as he enters the NFL. I can't think of one big time QB who came into the league talking that way (to the media at least). It does, however, sound kind of like our boy Geno.

This is probably the first time I've agreed with you. Jameis Winston 's football IQ is top notch, and anyone who has watched Winston this season, will tell you that. Truth be told, his only off the field issue that concerns me is the rape allegation. I have a problem with his inability to identify underneath coverage, but with the exception of that he's probably the closest prospect to Luck on the field that we'll see for a very very long time.
Nothing would amuse me more than to watch the Jets grab this guy.

That's at least part of my point. Only an idiot wants to paint a giant target on his back as he enters the NFL. I can't think of one big time QB who came into the league talking that way (to the media at least). It does, however, sound kind of like our boy Geno.
And when he starts out 1-4 or 2-5, he will be hearing about his "Super Bowl" predictions, thought it wasn't anything like that. Keep in mind this is a guy who lost one game in two years of college and had an elite offensive line (Stork in '13 and three guys likely to be drafted high this year) who is likely to get a crash course in adversity...If it happens to be in NYC, watch out. The best thing for him would be to go to a small market with a lousy nightlife which Tampa seems to fit (Jax and GB comes to mind but neither needs a QB)
because the NY media will eat him alive at the first hint of losing.

After his conference yesterday, he was interviewed and kind of complained that his shoulder thing was leaked and other players health stuff wasn't leaked. That is what would concern me most. He really seems to be a "me" player. He will be blaming everyone else for his problems.

I never said it was "rocket science" nor implied it.

And to be honest, I think the other actions you talk about are what shows me he might not have the common sense to last in the league as a premier player without some big changes in his behavior. My point was that I just don't think a sentence or two taken out of this quote was the nail in the coffin so to speak that makes it official. If someone like Mariota said it in the exact same way, I don't think it's really a story which I think (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is what Deus might have been somewhat implying. This looks bad mostly because of the arrogance and stupidity Jameis has shown in the past.

But it's just an opinion on the quote itself, mostly. (Opinion being the key word) I don't fault anyone for thinking as you or others do about him...the wording just doesn't jump out at me that much. EDIT: To be completely honest, when I first read the original post I thought this was a tongue in cheek thread questioning his intelligence solely for suggesting Peyton will be competing for a SB next year.
Sorry, I can't help it given your avatar....

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. ;)

Unless his arm is attached to his body by just one thin ligament strand, and is going to literally fall off within the next week, this kid's going to be drafted #1.

I have a problem with his inability to identify underneath coverage, but with the exception of that he's probably the closest prospect to Luck on the field that we'll see for a very very long time.

Luck's more athletic and was more polished mechanically - Winston has a long wind up and likes throw off his back foot. Luck had the ceiling of being one of the best QBs to ever play, while Winston's ceiling is Roethlisberger or Flacco, two QBs he resembles in terms of his skillset. That's not really a knock on Winston or saying he'll be a bust or waste of a pick - Roethlisberger and Flacco have 3 Super Bowl victories between them. He's a better prospect than Mariota and benefits from a bad QB class for certain, but he'll almost certainly go 1st overall. The main question is maturity.

Luck's more athletic and was more polished mechanically - Winston has a long wind up and likes throw off his back foot. Luck had the ceiling of being one of the best QBs to ever play, while Winston's ceiling is Roethlisberger or Flacco, two QBs he resembles in terms of his skillset. That's not really a knock on Winston or saying he'll be a bust or waste of a pick - Roethlisberger and Flacco have 3 Super Bowl victories between them. He's a better prospect than Mariota and benefits from a bad QB class for certain, but he'll almost certainly go 1st overall. The main question is maturity.
I'm not sure about your comparison. Both Ben and Flacco are very sound mechanically. You're right that Winston has a long wind up and that usually spells trouble in the NFL.

He has two types?

Nothing would amuse me more than to watch the Jets grab this guy.

I wouldn't be saying this if I were you... it could very well come back to haunt you. But I expect him to go first.

Being the closest prospect to Luck, doesn't mean he's Luck. And just about EVERY quarterback in the league throws off their back foot at some point during the course of a game . That's a minor issue. Winston needs to do a better job of incoporating his lower body in to his mechanics, so he'll become less of an "arm" thrower. He needs to identify underneath coverage better... most of his interceptions come to due to this. His footwork can be sloppy as well, but he also posses outstanding anticipation, is able to manipulate safeties with his eyes and shoulder, and throws with touch accuracy in general. He also plays well outside of play structures.No one knows what Winston's celling will be/is. After all, we're ALL guessing here.

I'm not sure about your comparison. Both Ben and Flacco are very sound mechanically. You're right that Winston has a long wind up and that usually spells trouble in the NFL.
Flacco's footwork is absoultely terrible, and that tends to be the case with tall Quarterbacks such as him. Philip Rivers , like Winston, also has a weird release or delivery , and he's had an outstanding NFL career.

Totally agree..........his off the field issues are well known. What is really concerning about him is the temper tantrums he throws when coaches try to correct him with his on the field decisions.

Don't envy the Bucs - their best bet is to trade the pick.

The attitude issues and slow first half starts are likely what's pushing people here away from Winston.

There are also some obvious positives too, so we'll have to see what happens. I probably wouldn't take him with the top pick, but I can certainly appreciate the Bucs' decision if they do. They're there to win football games, and Winston may help them to do so. Who the hell knows? I'm far from any kind of expert on the matter, that's for sure.

I'd be leery due to some immaturity examples, but that's just me.

Alberta Breer & her sister Kent Somers are such massive douche tools, they would need a wormhole to escape from Famous Jameis' butt hole.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back