PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Iggles to host 1st Brazil Game & NFL game in Madrid in 2025

Great point. From what I have been able to find on the Sports Broadcasting Act, the rule only applies to a CFB game taking place at that time. IOW the NFL would be within their legal rights to broadcast a game at any point after the conclusion of the Army-Navy game. HOWEVER, another part of the rule is dates going through the second Saturday of December. And that is exactly when the Army-Navy game occurs. It was played on December 9 in 2023, and has never been later than December 14.

So the NFL cannot broadcast a game on that day, but the NCAA is certainly entitled to do so - they just choose not too (other than Division II and III playoff games).
I wonder why the NFL is banned from doing so? I’d assume state championships for high school are largely completed by then.

My wife of 49 years has a doctorate in the field of Brazilian history and has spent years doing research in that country. Therefore, my knowledge about Brazil is quite extensive, and I don't need a moral poseur such as yourself lecturing me on cultural sensitivity. My comment was only intended as light-hearted humor.
Should have known you 'Know a guy' so have the 'It's okay' you have a free pass commentary card.
Your words are/were derogatory to the intelligence of people living in the country ... on several levels.
You know the World Cup is coming here ...
Word has it there will be many homogeneous United Statesians at the games.

Carry on Norm ...

Should have known you 'Know a guy' so have the 'It's okay' you have a free pass commentary card.
Your words are/were derogatory to the intelligence of people living in the country ... on several levels.
You know the World Cup is coming here ...
Word has it there will be many homogeneous United Statesians at the games.

Carry on Norm ...
To assert that my original comment was intended to derogate the intelligence of the Brazilian people is absurdity. Do you even understand that much humor involves wordplay? Many years ago, when Jimmy Carter unadvisedly told the nation that he had hemorrhoids and was being treated at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Johnny Carson told the nation in his opening monologue that the President was under the care of a Rear Admiral. Get it? Rear Admiral. My attempt at humor involved the greedy, manipulative people running the NFL, the passion of the Brazilian people for the game we call soccer, and the different meaning of the word football, or futebol, in the two countries. I did not believe for one second that a Rear Admiral at Bethesda Naval Hospital was looking at peoples' butts, nor do I believe for one second that Brazilians, particularly those with the money to buy expensive NFL tickets, would enter the stadium expecting to see a soccer match. But thanks for you heads up, Icy. Next time I try to provide some innocuous humor on this site, I'll first submit it to the chairman of the woke review board for jokes, whose ability to misinterpret and then libel is unmatched.

Last edited:
I wonder why the NFL is banned from doing so? I’d assume state championships for high school are largely completed by then.
It goes back to 1961. Prior to that each team signed its own television contracts - more or less the same as NFL teams do today with radio broadcasts, or baseball teams do with local television broadcasts.

Rozelle convinced Wellington and Jack Mara (Giants), Dan Reeves (Rams) and George Halas (Bears) that a single contract covering all teams and splitting the revenues benefited everyone. That meant the Packers and Giants would be receiving equal shares, instead of the old deals where New York sometimes got as much as 10 times more than Green Bay.
“We were able to do it because the owners thought league. All of the franchises have remained viable and have the means to compete with the rest of the league. That’s what I think all sports should be,” Rozelle said in David Harris’ 1986 book “The League”.
Rozelle originally had a deal with CBS in 1961, but it was voided by a federal judge due to antitrust laws. Rozelle went to Congress and was able to get them to pass the Sports Broadcasting Act, which allows leagues to negotiate broadcast deals.
“They (Mara, Reeves, Halas) made decisions that perhaps were not good for their individual teams in the short term, but in the long run paid off for the entire league,” he said.

From what I can gather from reading between the lines, Rozelle made the decision to not compete directly with college and high school football as a concession in order to appease the judge and get around the antitrust law. He worked with a congressman from New York, who wrote the bill as an amendment to the Sherman Antitrust Act. It passed, and the rest is history.

It's an interesting business case contrast between the NFL and MLB. The NFL was gaining popularity after the 1958 overtime championship game. rferred to then as The Greatest Game Ever Played. At that point in time baseball, college football and boxing were all more popular than the NFL. But starting with nationwide broadcasting of those Sunday games, the NFL surged past all three to become America's most popular sport. It's all because the big market owners did what was best for their league. In contrast MLB owners have taken the opposite tack over the years - resulting in big market teams retaining large revenues and large payrolls, while smaller market teams having extreme difficulty competing due to smaller revenues.

And now there will be a Madrid Game too

Not enough has been written about Putin's theft of Kraft's Super Bowl ring. Before Putin messed with U.S. elections, before he annexed Crimea, and before he invaded Ukraine, he committed this blatant crime. The writing was on the wall. Everything else followed.
Gateway crime

They are probably unhappy that they aren't playing in their own stadium. They sellout every game and have a national appeal. So it isn't like going to Brazil is going to market them any better.

Home teams in Brazil should be ones that struggle to fill their own stadium.

Absolutely they're losing a home game, just like we did for that nonsense in Germany. There is so much to hate about the 17-game schedule and these moronic overseas "showcases." I should be running this damn league, things would be a lot saner for everyone.
Lol, you're such a moron.

My wife of 49 years has a doctorate in the field of Brazilian history and has spent years doing research in that country. Therefore, my knowledge about Brazil is quite extensive, and I don't need a moral poseur such as yourself lecturing me on cultural sensitivity. My comment was only intended as light-hearted humor.
Is your wife Brazilian?

For the same reason that, for a few years, the Patriots had the first Portuguese-language version of an NFL website. . . .
He's a moron, can't put 2 & 2 together.

Pretty sure that had much more to do with the massive Portuguese population in SE Ma and RI than with fans in Brazil
And those people have families. Then there's Brady's ex.

I just hope with this game to Madrid, Real Madrid will finally be able to afford Kylian Mbappe

Lol, you're such a moron.

I don't recall asking for a summary of your last performance review. Hope they offered pointers on how to improve.

Absolutely they're losing a home game, just like we did for that nonsense in Germany. There is so much to hate about the 17-game schedule and these moronic overseas "showcases." I should be running this damn league, things would be a lot saner for everyone.
The NFL has said that their ultimate goal is to have every team play one neutral site game every year.

The NFL has said that their ultimate goal is to have every team play one neutral site game every year.

I know. That doesn't make it a good idea.

I don’t think they were serious about that. It was proposed as a possible solution to adding a 17th game. Every team would have 8 home, 8 away and 1 neutral. But now that we are set in the rotation of the 9th home game goes by conference, what we have is what they will stay with (until they go to 18 regular season games that is).

If you want to watch this game to kickoff the 2024 season, I hope you have Amazon Prime.

The Eagles are a Global phenomenon....

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back