PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Holy Crap!!!! George Mason!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a game! Mason's one tough-arse team to hang on to the end over a tough UConn team. The challenged shot at the very end was awesome. Lots of teams would have lapsed on that.

dhamz said:
Maybe the biggest upset in the history of college basketball.
If you consider the fact they're in the Final 4.....maybe the most amazing thing in the history of sports

George Mason... the definition of a bracket buster. Well, we know who 95% of America will be rooting for.

That was crazy.

After regulation i expected UConn to roll past them in OT. George Mason wasn't the least bit demoralized. They came out and played the same way they had played all day.

UConn had been flawless in it's decison making in must score situations those last 2 games, until that last one. Brown should have gotten Williams the ball after the missed FT. If he does, they would most likely get a good look. He didn't and they got a falling away 20 footer over a bigger guy.

I'm glad I was wrong about UConn not winning in OT, seen it time after time where the team that was suppose to win win in OT after not having the greatist of games.

But I must say it wasn't the 'upset' most people will call it.

UConn had two close calls already, and GM has been playing like a team the whole tourny. I thought GM had a chance but when it was that close in the final minutes I just wasn't sure they pull it off.

I wasn't gonna be the one to jynx them. Glad to see UConn is at home.

dhamz said:
After regulation i expected UConn to roll past them in OT. George Mason wasn't the least bit demoralized. They came out and played the same way they had played all day.

Yes considering that GM's starting five had been in since 10:30 left in the second half.

Morrison, Gay...I'd be nervous to pull the trigger on these guys in the top 5 of the draft.

dhamz said:

Not even the biggest upset in Virginia college basketball history:

In 1982, the Chaminade "Silver Swords" beat Ralph Sampson and #1 UVA in Hawaii - impossible, just plain impossible.

This game however, I thought Mason had a chance, more so for UConn's sloppy play the last few games. But Mason won this game, despite their best efforts to lose it in the end.

Amazing that I watched this Mason team lose in the semis of the CAA tournament and they managed to get an at-large (something CAA teams NEVER do) and now they're in the Final 4, 2 games away from the impossible.

Great win for Mason and the CAA. Go PATS!!!

Last edited:
dhamz said:

The media will try to push that angle. But George Mason handled 3 very good teams before meeting UConn and never looked overmatched against UConn. If they played 10 times, I bet Mason would win 3 or 4 times. Plus, it was basically a home game for them.

richpats said:

In 1982, the Chaminade "Silver Swords" beat Ralph Sampson and #1 UVA in Hawaii - impossible, just plain impossible.

This game however, I thought Mason had a chance, more so for UConn's sloppy play the last few games. But Mason won this game, despite their best efforts to lose it in the end.

Amazing that I watched this Mason team lose in the semis of the CAA tournament and they managed to get an at-large (something CAA teams NEVER do) and now they're in the Final 4, 2 games away from the impossible.

I disagree. This IS the biggest upset in VA history. This was sudden death elimination to go to the Final Four. Chaminade beat UVA in its rickety home gym in Hawaii in December. That was practically an exhibition game.

No contest.

Well, as many of you know I'm in Northern VA, formerly a Scituate boy! What you may not know is that my wife Cheryl graduated (I will thrown in Magna cum laude - if that how you spell it) from George Mason!\\

We are pumped! It's the first time, other than when UCONN plays BC, that I remember rooting against UCONN.

Go Patriots..............yes Mason is the George Mason Patriots!!!!

Last edited:
richpats said:

Exactly right. Chaminade was of USA hockey 1980 caliber. This GMU team is very good. Very, very good. When you have seniors with unstoppable post moves playing for you, it doesn't matter what league you're in. You will be very very tough to stop. This is the new NCAA. The studs don't stick around. The marginal talents who do (like GMU's Thomas) can show the kids a thing or two.

GMU can go all the way if they keep shooting the 3 the way they have in the first 4 games.

F.B.N. said:
Morrison, Gay...I'd be nervous to pull the trigger on these guys in the top 5 of the draft.

If not them, who?

They'll go in the top 5 along with Brandon Roy, Aldridge, etc., but there aren't others who you would choose before them. Gay's game is made for the NBA.

festy1986 said:
Didn't see that, but I still think these refs favor UConn in every game. That's not a biased opinion either, I don't follow college ball and don't have a team.

I think they are the powerhouse who gets the benefit of the doubt in close games and it makes me sick.

Both women and men UConn teams are the reason I don't watch. God I hate their program.

So, you say you're not biased, but then you say you hate both UConn men and women? Err, dude, that's the dictionary definition of bias.

That's like me saying I'm unbiased when I watch the Colts play. I really hate the Colts!! And their cheerleaders!!! :singing:

festy1986 said:
Didn't see that, but I still think these refs favor UConn in every game. That's not a biased opinion either, I don't follow college ball and don't have a team.

I think they are the powerhouse who gets the benefit of the doubt in close games and it makes me sick.

Both women and men UConn teams are the reason I don't watch. God I hate their program.

Wazzamatta, festy? Doncha care for student-athletes who supplement their scholarships
by stealing ... er, appropriating ... other students' laptops?

dhamz said:
College hoop refs are just bad across the board.

Beg to differ.

The little i watch ... tournament time only ... the refs have a far better percentage
than even the free-throw shooters.

I realize that they always seem prejudiced against my team ... and they always seem
to favor Duke ... but that's my fault.
Generally, they're even-handed in their mistakes.

SIGN "EM UP, TAGS ... you Colts-lovin' crook!

upstater1 said:
Exactly right. Chaminade was of USA hockey 1980 caliber. This GMU team is very good. Very, very good. When you have seniors with unstoppable post moves playing for you, it doesn't matter what league you're in. You will be very very tough to stop. This is the new NCAA. The studs don't stick around. The marginal talents who do (like GMU's Thomas) can show the kids a thing or two.

GMU can go all the way if they keep shooting the 3 the way they have in the first 4 games.

The great thing about kids skipping college or leaving big programs after 1-2 years is that it levels the playing field for these mid-major schools. This is how Gonzaga can become a perennial top 10 team or a commuter school like Mason can make the Final 4.

What is special about George Mason is how they dictate the pace of the game- they were very patient in OT, they waited for the right shots and didn't get rattled by the fact they blew the game in regulation (I assumed they were done at that point). They play terrific defense, they just need to hit their freakin' foul shots!

I don't expect them to win it all, but I didn't really expect them to take UConn, so who knows.

BTW- I agree with the one-sided officiating in that game. I've watched Duke too many times to not notice that refs always favor the big name schools.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST