PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Evaluating Mark Sanchez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to the Fan they're discussing how Namath was trying to teach Sanchez ball position and how Sanchez rolled his eyes and blew him off. Maybe indicative of Sanchez's maturity.

A joe namath tweet from after the game-

That's disgusting. You need 10 yards for a first down and you complete a 9 yard out.

:D

A joe namath tweet from after the game-

That's disgusting. You need 10 yards for a first down and you complete a 9 yard out.

:D

That one is on Keller though... some guys have a nose for the first down marker (like Kevin Faulk), some guys just don't. Keller could have easily caught that and at least stretched the ball over the plane before stumbling needlessly out of bounds.

Sanchez physical skills (arm strength, mobility, touch) appear to be below average for an NFL QB with the potential to become adequate.
His mental abilities (reading a D, decision making, confidence, overall thought process) are totally abysmal. That can change over time, but the real fact is that there is a long, long line of failed first round QBs who followed this path.
His story isnt written, but the first few chapters are far from encouraging.
I know that as a Patriot fan I would rather have him play against us than the ancient, noodle-armed, should be retired Mark Brunell.

As far as his first few chapters, look at his rookie stats compared to the the rookie stats of other QBs in the NFL. He is still in the bottom half of the league. When Jet fans bring up Manning's bad rookie year they are forgetting that Sanchez was even a lot worse then that.

He's not great for sure, but I don't rate him as bad as most of you guys. He can zing it in there, throws well on the run, and quarterbacked 2 playoff wins where they were underdogs (no mean feat). You're also basing it on game 1 against the best D in football, a D that embarrassed Brady at the end of last year.

I think he's somewhat dangerous, and if he gets his confidence up he can hurt us. It's their offense as a whole that was putrid the other night more than just Sanchez.

That one is on Keller though... some guys have a nose for the first down marker (like Kevin Faulk), some guys just don't. Keller could have easily caught that and at least stretched the ball over the plane before stumbling needlessly out of bounds.

true story. he was probably still seeing double from that ray lewis hit.

According to Peter Shwartz of the Fan Keller thought he was past the 1st down marker. When he turned he realized he wasn't, id say your right.

Last edited:
He's not great for sure, but I don't rate him as bad as most of you guys. He can zing it in there, throws well on the run, and quarterbacked 2 playoff wins where they were underdogs (no mean feat). You're also basing it on game 1 against the best D in football, a D that embarrassed Brady at the end of last year.

I think he's somewhat dangerous, and if he gets his confidence up he can hurt us. It's their offense as a whole that was putrid the other night more than just Sanchez.

A few points here:

"He can zing it in there, throws well on the run"- is there any quarterback in the NFL, including most third stringers, that this wouldn't apply to?

-Same thing with the confidence factor... is there any QB in the NFL that isn't capable of playing well with confidence and the right circumstances?

-I'll give you the two playoff wins, as weak he he played

-Brady's game against Baltimore isn't exactly apples to apples. Brady has broken ribs and fingers, Sanchez was healthy. Pats came in suddenly missing their go-to receiver, Moss was injured, and their offense was basically Edelman. Jets had all offseason to prepare. Ed Reed and the secondary were playing, not so against the Jets. Brady had no pass protection; Sanchez had plenty of time. Pats had terrible field position and played from two touchdowns behind the entire game. Brady still passed for two TDs despite three INTs, but at least he tried. Jets could have won that game with one big play on offense and had the ball at the Ravens 30 almost every time. Pats had no run game, Jets did fine. I could go on and on.

Last edited:
Mark Sanchez is today's Joey Harrington, except that Sanchez plays on a team with a major league defense, and Harrington played on the Lions.

I don't know how people can defend Sanchez's ability, though I will say that I don't expect too many repeats of Monday night's performance. Sanchez will probably be going downfield a bit more, but that also means more interceptions, strip-sacks, etc. Pick your poison Rex.

According to Peter Shwartz of the Fan Keller thought he was past the 1st down marker. ...

Ryan actually made a comment after the game about how the first down marker was turned in or something, so Keller didn't get an accurate sense of where he had to go. I thought it was BS, but when I saw the replay, he was right: The person holding the stick goes to his left after the catch, and that's what Keller appears to target, instead of the orange slab on the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQV8Zb-SIc

That said: You've gotta be able to throw the ball more than 10 yards upfield at least once that drive.

Last edited:
Ryan actually made a comment after the game about how the first down marker was turned in or something, so Keller didn't get an accurate sense of where he had to go. I thought it was BS, but when I saw the replay, he was right: The person holding the stick goes to his left after the catch, and that's what Keller appears to target, instead of the orange slab on the ground.
YouTube - Ravens vs Jets: Dustin Keller Steps Out of Bounds on 4th Down, Fail! HQ

Wow, that's pretty bad on the part of the official. I would be pissed if the Pats lost a game based on something like that.

He had a pretty horrible game Monday, and I think the Jets still don't trust him. When you look at the Ravens D right now, I think it's clear what they have and don't have.

1. They have a dominant front 7 with 4 very good/elite players, Lewis, Ngata, Gregg and Suggs.

2. The secondary is very weak

The Ravens are one of the best teams against the run, and i was surprised that the Jets didn't try to throw the ball more outside. Holmes will be a big add for that team because that Edwards needs to hit the bench. I know he has great speed and can make a big play but it's not worth his stupid mistakes and drops. When they get Holmes they need to start him and Cotch

I like your observations about the Ravens. I always dismissed the hype and hysteria about the Jets as off-season Super bowl winners as ever.

But I saw the Jets Ravens game and got very concerned about the... Ravens. They should have had a route and won going away. But their stupid coaching/play calling kept the hopelessly inept Jets in the game. The little success that Sanchez had in passing came from wide open receivers. Where was the Ravens secondary?

I kept expecting the Jets to complete a long pass or get a PI, and kick a "game winning" Field Goal.

Watching the travesty of starting out from inside the one for at least a whole period, all I could think of was the Pats-Denver game of several years ago. Take a Safety, on purpose, kick from the twenty on a free kick, and play the game in Jets territory. But no, the stupid Ravens coaching persisted and multiple series were played there, including several from short punt formations, almost begging for a simple error to cost them the game.

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty bad on the part of the official. I would be pissed if the Pats lost a game based on something like that.

Really? I'd be pissed at our player for not having more field awareness. These guys have been playing football their whole lives, I'm guaranteeing you they've played with a guy holding the marker askew before.

It goes back to what I said. Some guys have a nose for the first down, some guys don't. Keller, on that play, didn't.

And let's play devil's advocate, and assume he thought he was past the first down line. There was NOBODY on him. This is a tight game, where five yards could be the difference between making or missing the game winning field goal. With no one on him, he should have been trying to get a few more yards up field even if he did have the 1st. Still could have run out of bounds to stop the clock, but it would have guaranteed the 1st and given them so much need yardage.

Instead, Keller caught the pass and ran horizontal, straight out of bounds. Boneheaded play.

Sanchez:

1.) Overrated arm

2.) Not accurate outside the numbers, and not a strong enough arm to overcome that consistently

3.) Runs well, but isn't yet 'heads up' about stepping up versus sprinting out

4.) Is a turnover waiting to happen when he runs left and throws

5.) Relatively solid when he's got time and his receiver gets space over the middle

6.) Not exactly a "nerves of steel" sort as of now

7.) Can go on a streak if he's not forced to think in the pocket or sprint out to avoid pressure

IIRC it was the Bubba Smith incident that allowed the yard marker guys to move the chains or drop them if the player is coming near them. Smith injured his knee on one and it ended his career when he plowed into one of the markers in a pre-season game...

YouTube - Ravens vs Jets: Dustin Keller Steps Out of Bounds on 4th Down, Fail! HQ

That said: You've gotta be able to throw the ball more than 10 yards upfield at least once that drive.
Shwartz said he had asked Keller about the play and Keller told him he Thought he had run far enough for the first down. When he turned to go out of bounds he realized he was short but didn't have enough room to turn up field. Fat Boy was just covering for Keller.

Last edited:
kevin faulk did his once.players usually are aware of what yard marker they need for a first down.

Watching the travesty of starting out from inside the one for at least a whole period, all I could think of was the Pats-Denver game of several years ago. Take a Safety, on purpose, kick from the twenty on a free kick, and play the game in Jets territory. But no, the stupid Ravens coaching persisted and multiple series were played there, including several from short punt formations, almost begging for a simple error to cost them the game.

I hear what you're saying, but you can't take a safety at 10-6, b/c then a FG beats you, and you obviously can't take one at 10-9 either.

First of all, this is not Bashing Mark Sanchez because he plays for the Jets...for the most part, he is an exciting player...Good scrambler, throws on the run, decent arm, very energetic, etc, etc....

However....

His stats from Monday nights game were very typical of last year and although the Jets got hot at the right time and used that momentum all the way to the AFCCG last year....it was NOT Sanchez who was responsible for that.

Granted, Baltimore has a very good defense that will match up favorably against many teams in the NFL....There were several moments in that game when Sanchez should have been able to keep drives going...but never got into a rhythm and to me, looked very much like the player he was last year.

Maybe the Jets will go after our secondary, but again, I don't think that is going with thier stregnth and certainly not Sanchez's.

Although the Jets are a popular pick to go deep into the playoffs by many....(not us, of course)...If Sanchez can't get it done Sunday...and continues to look like he did last year and the Baltimore game....Having a QB that is a liability is a huge team morale killer.

Maybe Sanchez will get it going eventually, but nothing I've seen of him so far gives me the confidence that he will.
bruschi said on his podcast today that he thinks sachez is a front runner who plays well when they are ahead and winning but not as much when things are not going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference