PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cherrington's out as BoSox GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geese already? You'd think winning a World Series would buy a guy a little time..

I'm sad to see Cherington go. I suspect that Henry, Warner, and Lucchino are more responsible for the poor decisions over the past year or so than Cherington is. The Red Sox have the number one farm system (http://m.mlb.com/news/article/142897918/best-minor-league-systems-in-baseball) in the league and
Cherington deserves credit for that.

That said, it's a great move. Dombrowski is a proven guy who the ownership will listen to rather than give orders to like they did to Cherington such as low balling Lester and hiring Bobby Valentine. And they need a new set of eyes to oversee player evaluation and to give the team a new direction.

They have enough talent in both the majors and minors and money that a few smart moves could turn this team around by next season and become a contender again. I can't wait to see what Dombrowski does with this team.

They inquired about Josh Donaldson and Bean told them to f-off. Then traded him to Toronto. They needed a 3B and Sandoval is the least of the problems.

No need to continue from here. Now you're just talking crazy.

Am I? The facts, I have them.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ox_wanted_josh_donaldson_before_signing_pablo

I expect a retraction. I am not Trollin Volin.

The crazy is about Sandoval being the least of the problems. Struggling in the field, while hitting .257 and having only 10 home runs and fewer than 30 extra base hits coming into today, and having at least one clubhouse issue of his own, is sure as hell not "the least of the problems".

That's an anchor around the neck of the team's manager, and someone in the front office put it there.

The crazy is about Sandoval being the least of the problems. Struggling in the field, while hitting .257 and having only 10 home runs and fewer than 30 extra base hits coming into today, and having at least one clubhouse issue of his own, is sure as hell not "the least of the problems".

That's an anchor around the neck of the team's manager, and someone in the front office put it there.

Eh plenty of players struggled in their first years in Boston. Beckett, Lackey etc. Hell Edgar Renteria completely forgot how to play SS. If he struggles next year (if he is here) then yes, it's no good.

Sandoval left the partly due to Sox offered more money and partly due to he was sick and tired of them telling him he was fat ... even though all his stats reflected poor play when his weight went up ... like duh ... any reasonable Red Sox fan would not have signed this fat ass nor would we have given Rick Porcello that fat contract.

Ramirez ...well that's an interesting situation .. thought it was good at the time. Still holding out hope some team tight in the playoff race may make a play for him. I'd rather see how Travis Shaw turns out and have Castillo - Betts - Bradley Jr - - in the outfield ... Sandoval - Boagarts - Pedroia - Shaw in the infield. Use money saved by playing the youth to get some pitching. I like Bradley Jr.... he could be a modern day Dwight Evans IMO ... someone who took a few years to get hitting right while using that cannon arm to keep runners honest.

Sandoval left the partly due to Sox offered more money and partly due to he was sick and tired of them telling him he was fat ... even though all his stats reflected poor play when his weight went up ... like duh ... any reasonable Red Sox fan would not have signed this fat ass nor would we have given Rick Porcello that fat contract.

Ramirez ...well that's an interesting situation .. thought it was good at the time. Still holding out hope some team tight in the playoff race may make a play for him. I'd rather see how Travis Shaw turns out and have Castillo - Betts - Bradley Jr - - in the outfield ... Sandoval - Boagarts - Pedroia - Shaw in the infield. Use money saved by playing the youth to get some pitching. I like Bradley Jr.... he could be a modern day Dwight Evans IMO ... someone who took a few years to get hitting right while using that cannon arm to keep runners honest.

Just thinking crazy thoughts on what could have been most of the roster for this season:

DH - Ortiz
1B - Napoli
2B - Pedroia
SS - Iglesias
3B - Bogaerts
OF - Betts/Castillo/JBJ or (?)
JOAT - Holt

Lester
Lackey
Buckholtz
P4
E-Rod/Owens/Johnson

Tazawa
Miller
Uehara

I've never been a Napoli guy, so I'd have looked for an upgrade if there was money left after the Lester/Lackey/Miller/P4 deals, but that would have been a lineup to really give people something to look forward to.

Just thinking crazy thoughts on what could have been most of the roster for this season:

DH - Ortiz
1B - Napoli
2B - Pedroia
SS - Iglesias
3B - Bogaerts
OF - Betts/Castillo/JBJ or (?)
JOAT - Holt

Lester
Lackey
Buckholtz
P4
E-Rod/Owens/Johnson

Tazawa
Miller
Uehara

I've never been a Napoli guy, so I'd have looked for an upgrade if there was money left after the Lester/Lackey/Miller/P4 deals, but that would have been a lineup to really give people something to look forward to.

Wouldn't that have been fun to watch.

Wouldn't that have been fun to watch.

If we had Iglesias this year, they wouldn't have won the World Series in '13. Not speaking to the playoffs or the World Series in particular, but the regular season games Peavy kept them in when Buchholz went down per usual.

That rotation is a pipe dream. I heard the 5/110 spring rumor for Lester. I call BS on that one. It came from his agent of course. They signed Pedroia for big money. He could have got millions more on the open market. Lester wanted a big payday and took the easy National League route.

That rotation is a pipe dream. I heard the 5/110 spring rumor for Lester. I call BS on that one. It came from his agent of course. They signed Pedroia for big money. He could have got millions more on the open market. Lester wanted a big payday and took the easy National League route.

That rotation could have been done very easily.

Man. Over the last 15 years I'll bet I watched an average of 120 games per year. Everyone in the house knew that when a game was on the TV was mine. Mostly we would have the game on and the kids and I would play a board game (or something) on the coffee table while watching the game. 2013 was such an entertaining team and probably one of my favorite teams to watch besides the 03-04 teams.

These last couple of years, especially this year, have been so tough to watch that somewhere in the middle of the season I just stopped watching the games. I still look at stats, scores, etc.... but it just seemed like there were too many players committed to themselves. They have talent but no heart. What a shame.

Changes needed to be made. I am not smart enough to know who, what , when etc.... but something had to change. The Red Sox have been a talking point within my family for so many years that it has become an emotional connection. My Grandmother, God bless her, truly enjoyed witnessing the WS victory while she was battling cancer. She literally told me during her last days that she thought Roger Clemens was a wife beater and belonged in prison. hahahaha

The current ownership has defeated the Bambino curse and has delivered on many levels. I hope that this is an adjustment period but nevertheless this has been a tough time to watch those guys play.

Go Sox!

Simply not true

Who picks up the starts for Clay? I distinctly remember thinking great pickup. I never think about Igleisias, except when he's loafing on a play and the losing it when called out.

You definition of easily is as realistic as mine for the rotation.

Mine would be Sale, Gray, Hernandez, E-Rod and Kershaw.
In other words, no way in hell.

So ... meanwhile back at the ranch ...

Did Cherrington opt out as stated ... have a deal worked out elsewhere ... or was politely shown the door?

In any case ... he'll land on his feet somewhere so shedding no tears for Ben.
Can someone tell Henry he sucks at shopping for the groceries?

Who picks up the starts for Clay? I distinctly remember thinking great pickup. I never think about Igleisias, except when he's loafing on a play and the losing it when called out.

You definition of easily is as realistic as mine for the rotation.

Mine would be Sale, Gray, Hernandez, E-Rod and Kershaw.
In other words, no way in hell.

Peavy only had 10 starts (went 4-1, but was no great shakes). The Red Sox won by 5+ games. In the playoffs, Peavy only pitched in 1 game, and gave up 2 runs in 4 innings. That's an easily replaceable guy.

And my rotation is a very easy one to have gotten if they hadn't pissed away the money on Ramirez and Sandoval, Miley, etc..., and you have to know that. You're just being ridiculous on that topic.

Ramirez
Sandoval
Miley
Masterson
Porcello

or
Lester
Lackey
$$$ to spend

OTOH, the Porcello contract speaks for itself.
Is that a firing offense?

IMHO the Soax have always had a bum contract or two or three on the roster for pretty much the entire post-Yawkey era. The ones I thought of immediately were JD Drew and Jose Offerman, but the following link will give you 10 to chose from:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1412303-10-worst-contracts-in-boston-red-sox-history

I think the real issue is:
These last couple of years, especially this year, have been so tough to watch
There's next to nothing that's watchable, regardless of how much or how little they are getting paid. The set of hired guns brought in over the last year or so have been particularly dreadful, regardless of their contracts.

Changes needed to be made. I am not smart enough to know who, what , when etc....
None of us are, but we sure know a crap product when we see one.

Peavy only had 10 starts (went 4-1, but was no great shakes). The Red Sox won by 5+ games. In the playoffs, Peavy only pitched in 1 game, and gave up 2 runs in 4 innings. That's an easily replaceable guy.

And my rotation is a very easy one to have gotten if they hadn't pissed away the money on Ramirez and Sandoval, Miley, etc..., and you have to know that. You're just being ridiculous on that topic.

Ramirez
Sandoval
Miley
Masterson
Porcello

or
Lester
Lackey
$$$ to spend

Lester @ 20, let's fantasize say he signs for Porcello money per year.
Lackey @15
Those two cancel out Hanley and Pablo with 4 left from Pablo.

Who plays left? Who is the third baseman? Anyone good I might add. Who are your 4+5 starters? You seem to forget Lackey wanted out. He wouldn't commit in spring training to playing for the minimum, but the minute he got to St. Louis he said sure I will. He was never staying. Period. Maybe if you paid him 25-30 but he wanted out. Middlebrooks is in AAA, Napoli can't see the lineup in Texas, Victorino was an ER trip waiting to happen and that's just the start. Nevermind paying Clay 13 to play 3 months.

Is that a firing offense?

IMHO the Soax have always had a bum contract or two or three on the roster for pretty much the entire post-Yawkey era. The ones I thought of immediately were JD Drew and Jose Offerman, but the following link will give you 10 to chose from:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1412303-10-worst-contracts-in-boston-red-sox-history

I think the real issue is:There's next to nothing that's watchable, regardless of how much or how little they are getting paid. The set of hired guns brought in over the last year or so have been particularly dreadful, regardless of their contracts.

None of us are, but we sure know a crap product when we see one.

I don't think the Porcello contract is a firable offense by itself, but it's a hard strike against the GM that signs it. Taken in conjunction with the Lester fiasco, Sandoval, etc. etc.- that's where it starts to pile up.

Lester @ 20, let's fantasize say he signs for Porcello money per year.
Lackey @15
Those two cancel out Hanley and Pablo with 4 left from Pablo.

Who plays left? Who is the third baseman? Anyone good I might add. Who are your 4+5 starters? You seem to forget Lackey wanted out. He wouldn't commit in spring training to playing for the minimum, but the minute he got to St. Louis he said sure I will. He was never staying. Period. Maybe if you paid him 25-30 but he wanted out. Middlebrooks is in AAA, Napoli can't see the lineup in Texas, Victorino was an ER trip waiting to happen and that's just the start. Nevermind paying Clay 13 to play 3 months.

Bogaerts at 3rd, and I'm not too worried about LF since decent corner outfielders aren't hard to find, and the Sox have good ones coming up. Granted, I'm irrationally excited about Benitendi and he just made it to A. I could see him being a really good CF or RF for us. You could rightly accuse me of jumping the gun on my expectations, but the last time I was this eager about a minor league OF was Ellsbury.

In any case, I'd much rather have holes at 3B and LF than the top of the rotation.

Bogaerts plays 3rd, and I'm not too worried about LF since decent corner outfielders aren't hard to find, and the Sox have good ones coming up.

In any case, I'd much rather have holes at 3B and LF than the top of the rotation.

Somewhat agree, but Bogey is better at SS. He's one of the best SS in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents