PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chatham puts his personal touch on the Concussion movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you post a link to the review, thanks.

Scout - It's posted already.. Scroll over "Football by Football" in the OP's post.

Calling out anti-jewish propaganda created by a known anti-semite for what it is does not make me a bigot, Deus, my dear friend.

Been a while since i saw the movie, and although Gibson has uttered antisemitic (among other groups) comments and his sect is reportedly antisemitic, i dont recall anything specific from the movie i would call antisemitic. Care to elaborate?

I am sure Matt is not an anti- semite. I surely did not mean to suggest that he is. Back on topic, courageous choice of subject matter by the films producers, but i think it will really struggle at the box office.

Not sure how it will do at the box office. I think it has potential given its star power and a subject matter that may hit close to home for millions of parents, players or anyone that follows the NFL. I guess it will depend on how well they put it all together. I do agree though, it could struggle or possibly have minimal impact but truly hope not.

I know he was writing about the movie specifically, but Chatham stopped short of giving his perspective on what more the NFL should be doing -- if anything more can be done -- to mitigate the concussion problem. I'd like to hear his views on the issue in general.

I don't want to see this movie but probably will once it hits cable.

ally_mcbeal_facepalm-500x300.gif

That sums that comment up quite nicely.

I am taking an admitted ostrich approach to this and deferring watching until after the SB so I don't ruin the playoff experience. The article alone was very disturbing, not that I was previously unaware of the issue. I lost my mother to alzheimers so I can relate emotionally to what happened to the players and their families.
I'd really like to see stuff like the dentist proposed really studied by capable neurologists.

Last edited:
Here's a direct link to the Frontline episode: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis

This was a very powerful report on CTE. One thing that is clear is that CTE occurs quite frequently in the brains the researchers have studied (45 out of 46 football players). Blows to the head from whatever activity likely leads some people's brains to be affected by CTE. Those of you who are parents will have to decide whether you put your children at risk for CTE by playing football or any other activity that leads to direct or indirect blows to the head.

It is also in many ways, an indictment of how business (whether NFL or not) is done in this country. You arm yourself with lawyers first before you get down to the business of trying to find out what is actually wrong in the first place. Towards the end of the report, you will not be surprised to see that the firm defending the NFL is Paul Weiss, a firm we have come to know quite well in these parts.

I need to add however, that the whole hiring a lawyer first is frankly not just the NFL's fault in my mind. This is a problem with sports (or other similar activities) like this in general from pee wee to the pros yet of course since it's professional sports that have the money, they are the ones who are attacked first. In other words, this is a cultural problem as well where the first sign of problems indicate that someone should get a lawyer and you blame the organization with the resources first before actually getting down to the very basics of the problem which is that some/many of our bodies are not neurologically equipped to take repeated stresses that these activities put it through.

Last edited:
Did she actually say "UNBIASED STUDY" wow that would be crazy the NFL doing an unbiased study HAHAHAHAHA!

I know he was writing about the movie specifically, but Chatham stopped short of giving his perspective on what more the NFL should be doing -- if anything more can be done -- to mitigate the concussion problem. I'd like to hear his views on the issue in general.

I don't want to see this movie but probably will once it hits cable.

What you do about it, if anyone really cares about the players, is lose the helmets so we have something more like aussie football. But people dont really care about the players, they just want to ***** and moan about something while still enjoying their precious football. Ultimately, the players entering the league now know the risk, they assume that risk, and they are well compensated to do so. They are modern day gladiators and, if people were honest with themselves, they would admit that they wouldnt want it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST