PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chad Johnson Wants To Be A Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it now, some reporter asks BB in a press conference "Coach, would you want Chad Johnson on your football team?"

BB: "Of course, why not? he's a good football player"

end of story.

"Coach, are you willing to trade your #1 plus another pick to Cincy, give into Rosenhaus demands to redo Chad's contract paying him top dollar, and between him, Moss, and Welker allocate a tremendous portion of your cap to WR?"

BB: "Of course not. That is insane."

"Coach, are you willing to trade your #1 plus another pick to Cincy, give into Rosenhaus demands to redo Chad's contract paying him top dollar, and between him, Moss, and Welker allocate a tremendous portion of your cap to WR?"

BB: "Of course not. That is insane."

I'm not saying we would get him. We won't. Your assumption about how much he would cost may or may not be correct, but I was just saying that people who say they wouldn't want him on the team are probably at odds with BB.

Dude, it's Chad Johnson. I actually like him, but he never shuts up. Tomorrow he could say he wants to be the starting wideout for an NFL expansion team in Narnia and it wouldn't surprise me.

You'd love him if he were a Patriot

I think we'd all love him here theres no question about that but the chances of getting this deal done?

Slim.

Here's what it boils down to, imo.
1) 'The Patriot Way' has been talked about, analyzed, written about so much these days that players simply have to know about--the mentality, the team-first concept, the 'BB's way or the highway'. When Dillon first came to the Pats, it wasn't firmly established and many felt that he'd be a disaster here. When Moss came here that mentality was well known, so people said 'if he acts up, he'll be out of a Pats uniform that day'. Chad has to know that the Patriots are run that way, that it's the basis for their success, and I think he knows going in that he'd have to change his ways.
2) Belichick and Pioli know everything--absolutely everything--about a player before they sign them on (whether through free agency, the draft, a trade), and it goes much deeper than their on-field skills. I read an article a few months back talking about their exhaustive research into a players personality, work ethic, intelligence, etc--much more than just the Wonderlic. If Belichick likes him--and not just in a 'I'm amused by his antics' way--then you better believe they'll do everything in their power to get him if the money's right. He knows who fits in this system, who he can control, and who simply wants to WIN--something that people confused with selfishness when it came to Dillon.

Bottom line: if Belichick wants him on this team, then I want him on this team. The man just knows talent and personality, and how to deal with both. An offense of Brady, Maroney, Watson, Welker, Johnson and Moss would be downright unfair--if ever the whole 'why don't you just crown them' quote is applicible, it would be with that team--and it's probably a pipe dream because of cap issues anyway, but I'm all for it if Belichick wants him.

Champ Bailey yes, Chad Johnson no!

Do you guys really think any team in the NFL will be willing to help a team that just went underfeated

Chad Johnson wants to be a Patriot? I bet he does! :D

Need I remind some here that less than 2 years ago it was rumored that the Patriots were considering trading for Randy Moss. The outcry of hate towards Moss was probably at least 90% of the responses. Now, Chad Johnson, one of the top 5 recievers in the NFL wants to play here and the negativity is starting already. I would like to see BB draft a LB at the #7 position but if he could get CJ for that pick I would not be disappointed.

Need I remind some here that less than 2 years ago it was rumored that the Patriots were considering trading for Randy Moss. The outcry of hate towards Moss was probably at least 90% of the responses. Now, Chad Johnson, one of the top 5 recievers in the NFL wants to play here and the negativity is starting already. I would like to see BB draft a LB at the #7 position but if he could get CJ for that pick I would not be disappointed.

Where is the comparison between Moss costing the Pats a 4th round pick and giving up millions for a 1 year deal in NE and Chad Johnson costing the Pats the #7 pick overall and getting the chance to give him the new deal he and Drew Rosenhaus want? That is apples and oranges.

I doubt anyone would be opposed to 1 year 3 million deal for Chad and a 4th round pick going to Cincy in return - well except, the Bengals, Chad, and Rosenhaus.

Last edited:
Where is the comparison between Moss costing the Pats a 4th round pick and giving up millions for a 1 year deal in NE and Chad Johnson costing the Pats the #7 pick overall and getting the chance to give him the new deal he and Drew Rosenhaus want? That is apples and oranges.

I doubt anyone would be opposed to 1 year 3 million deal for Chad and a 4th round pick going to Cincy in return - well except, the Bengals, Chad, and Rosenhaus.

No doubt it would be difficult to make the deal work with the salary cap. But a year and a half ago, Moss was not worth a first round pick. We basically stole him with a 4th. Hind sight, if we knew he was going to be this good, we couldn't give a first round pick away fast enough.

Another point to consider is that BB, as the players pointed out this week, has drafted 7 LB's in the last 80-something picks. He goes after FA LB's that are hard-working and versatile. I just think a first round pick for CJ is not out of realm of possibility if BB really wanted him on the Patriots.

Bill thinks he's cute and fun when he's someone else's problem. Even Bill and a veteran locker room couldn't shut this clown up. Tremendous talent when everything is going his way. Pain in the ass to flat out cancer when it's not.

I don't know... it seems like the EXACT same thing were said about Moss when that was being done. I thought the same thing, but I was wrong.

If BB can control him, you guys would be down right scary in 2008 with Ocho Cinco opposite Moss.

I for one hope it doesn't happen.

he wants to be the starting wideout for an NFL expansion team in Narnia
I understand the Cowboys will leave TO exposed in the Narnia Chronicles expansion draft. I think the Chronicles will go for TO rather than Chad.

I don't know... it seems like the EXACT same thing were said about Moss when that was being done. I thought the same thing, but I was wrong.

If BB can control him, you guys would be down right scary in 2008 with Ocho Cinco opposite Moss.
He can't be controlled. He said on Rome's show that the Bengals were trying to make him calm down, and he can't play that way.

Not sure what he is thinking, but that isn't the way to get onto a disciplined, winning team.

I'm betting for less than Chad wants, we could sign Moss, Stallworth and Gaffney. WIth Welker, we'd be all set for a three-peat.

if that is what Chad wants, he has to wait in line because pats has to deal with other players first.

would love to see him as a patriot, but moss and samual should be prioraties

Prepare to be disappointed. That pick won't be used for Chad OR a LB.

Anyway, your comparison to Moss deal is bogus. There is a little difference between the 7th pick and the 120th pick. Plus, I doubt you are saying Johnson will come for a one-year deal and no signing bonus.

And Moss, goofy as some of his off-field activities were, was all about winning. Johnson is all about show. He's said it himself. If he were at media day, he'd be passing out pepto bismol to the Giants DBs, and carrying a sign asking who can cover 85.

If I thought he could fit into team, I'd be all for it. But I think Chad is for Chad. He's a lot of fun, but I'd rather see him on the Jests or Doofins.

Last edited:
I can see Chad Johnson being a role player as an X receiver.

RIGHT!

A lot of people said they would never want Moss on their team and he's been a model citizen. I just think this team has too many veterans and can handle a guy like Ocho Cinqo who wants to come in and play for a winner. Assuming Donte is gone, can you imagine trying to game plan to stop Moss - CJ - Welker - Gaff - Maroney? Are you kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back