PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chad Johnson Wants To Be A Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people said they would never want Moss on their team and he's been a model citizen. I just think this team has too many veterans and can handle a guy like Ocho Cinqo who wants to come in and play for a winner. Assuming Donte is gone, can you imagine trying to game plan to stop Moss - CJ - Welker - Gaff - Maroney? Are you kidding!

The comparison of Johnson now and Moss 9 months ago is just not a valid one.

If you want to make a valid comparison between Johnson and Moss, then it is when Moss was being dealt by the Vikings. That is actually almost a perfect comparison. Similar career point, similar cost in picks, similar contract situation.

As I recall the Patriots did not express any interest in meeting the Vikings demands. Nor should they with Cincinnati and Johnson. There is no value there.

Some of us have brought this up in the past, but this is the first time Chad ever entertained the idea:
It cracks me up how a team representative like Belichick, Pioli or even Kraft can't even whisper the name "Chad Johnson" for fear of tampering charges, but Chad Johnson can go around saying "I wanna play for the Patriots..!!" :D

If BB and SP say he's Patriots material, he's Patriot material. I doubted them on Corey Dillon, then I doubted them with Randy Moss. I was wrong on both accounts, they were right. If Chad IS a nut job and can't possibly fall in line, they won't even talk to him. If the brain-trust of the Pats deem him of the right mental make-up, I'm done questioning them.

Bingo!

Rex Ryan was quoted as saying that Moss and Johnson are the #1 & #2 deep threats in the league.

I say do it, his cap numbers are not that bad. Let the defense get younger via the draft and put out an offense that has a real shot at scoring 600 points.

Cap
2008: $3 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2009: $4.5 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2010: $5 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2011: $6 million (Club Option), 2012: Free Agent

I would give up our 2nd and 3rd (not the Raiders pick) to see this offense.

QB - Brady*
WR - Moss*, Johnson*, Welker*, Jackson (Chad Jackson and Chad Johnson will be damn confusing but such is life)
RB - Maroney, Morris, Faulk
TE - Watson, Brady, Thomas
OL - Light*, Mankins*, Koppen*, Neal, Kaczur
* indicates Probowler

Honestly I don't really expect to see Chad in a Patriots uniform, but I also don't understand some of the opinions on here.

Why do some of you seem to believe it would cost NE the 7th overall pick? Other top level WR's have been traded for 2nd round picks, or late first round picks of late. Why is Chad (a seemingly disgruntled player wanting out) going to warrant the 7th overall pick? I don't think any current NFL team would trade Cincy a top ten pick in that situation. I'm not sure what his contract demands would be, and those thinking he'll want some major bank could very well be correct. But, that is an opinion, and we don't actually know everything behind Chad's motivation.

Last edited:
I like his cap numbers
Very do-able for a wide receiver
If the pats lose stallworth it would be a good option

I don't like the idea of moss and CJ on the same team however
it's the rule of having two aces on the same team (at the same position)
they will inevitably have ego clashes that will cause them both to perform poorly
it works with moss and welker b/c welker's the slot/possession receiver

Bingo!

Rex Ryan was quoted as saying that Moss and Johnson are the #1 & #2 deep threats in the league.

I say do it, his cap numbers are not that bad. Let the defense get younger via the draft and put out an offense that has a real shot at scoring 600 points.

Cap
2008: $3 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2009: $4.5 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2010: $5 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus)
2011: $6 million (Club Option), 2012: Free Agent

Those numbers include his signing bonus?

Those numbers include his signing bonus?

No, Chad Johnson already signed a contract extension with Cincy that has him locked up through 2011. I believe cstjohn17 is saying he'd like to pull off a trade for Johnson that keeps that contract intact. That could be an option, considering that contract has 4 years left on it.

Johnson signed that $35.5M contract extension in 2006.

cinci takes a 6 million dollar cap hit if they trade him
i dont think hes going anywhere this year

If it could work out Johnson, Welker and Moss on the same field are rediculous options.

I don't think he's going anywhere either, but its more fun to discuss than what went wrong in the super bowl.

what do you think about chad johnson for donte stallworth and a third round pick or fourth round pick.

would that be a decent pick up for the patriots. Moss, Johnson, Welker and Watson. Good luck stoping that

what do you think about chad johnson for donte stallworth and a third round pick or fourth round pick.

would that be a decent pick up for the patriots. Moss, Johnson, Welker and Watson. Good luck stoping that

IMO, there is no way that the Pats are going to pick up Stallworth's option and then immediately trade him

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST