PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cavs vs. Warriors (Who Wins the NBA Finals?)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Wins the NBA Finals?

• Cavs

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Warriors

Votes: 79 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of good thoughts. I agree that CLE is a better team than they showed tonight, and that's taking into account the fact that they were leading with 2:00 left in the third quarter. Either way, they will likely win a couple of games, particularly when they host 3/4 in games 3,4, and 6 (should it go that far).

We'll know a lot more about this series after Sunday's game #2. If they can split at GS, they have a puncher's chance. If not, the series will be all but over. Personally, I see Golden State winning in 6 again, just like they did last year.

I agree. I still see GS in 6 or 7.

First off...I'm a huge C's fan since the Russell days.

Secondly, I played ball from a young age all the way into my late 30's, in school and adult leagues with other ex-college types.

I have no real preference in this series. I love all the long range jump shots GS throw up...and I think Kyrie Irving is a practically unstoppable offensive force min any game.

GS won tonight BUT...as far as I'm concerned, the game was marred all night by theses obvious "LeBron" rules.

Now some long timers will argue that the NBA stars SHOULD get preferential treatment and should be called for less fouls than regular players BUT...I mean, just how many fouls DOES James get in a game these days? 15? 24?...let me explain something as I know it, like I said after a lifetime in love with this game...lowering your shoulder, ramming INTO the defender, extending your arm and elbow pushing the defender OFF and then shooting the ball is NOT a legal basketball play. It's not even basketball..it's rugby/basket ball./.[.....just call it Basketby ball from now on. Don't insult Naismith's memory and the century of true basketball by calling this "final" a basketball game.
Of course, it seems everybody gets three steps in this league when they pick up the dribble but astoundingly, Lebron seems to get four, five and six steps or just however many steps he wants to take. This ISN'T basketball. Call it LeBron ball or Basketstarguy ball or some other damn thing but don't insult our intelligence telling us THIS BULLSHYT is basketball.
Drives me crazy. LeBron is like Corey Dillon with the stiff arm....

Lots of good thoughts. I agree that CLE is a better team than they showed tonight, and that's taking into account the fact that they were leading with 2:00 left in the third quarter. Either way, they will likely win a couple of games, particularly when they host 3/4 in games 3,4, and 6 (should it go that far).

We'll know a lot more about this series after Sunday's game #2. If they can split at GS, they have a puncher's chance. If not, the series will be all but over. Personally, I see Golden State winning in 6 again, just like they did last year.

I agree re: game 2.

It's not uncommon that a beat up team coming off a tough series, win game 1 against a well-rested team. They have momentum and rhythm on their side, whereas the other team has too much rest.

As you say, game 2 is more of a even matchup. If it goes 2-0 GS, it's pretty much over.

I'm inclined to think GS is in control. Taking over the lead in the 3rd quarter is no accident and has happened many times over the years in the playoffs, usually by the better team which eventually wins the series.

The Cavs can make a series of this if they get back to ball movement. They had 25 plays where they advanced the ball up the court and did not pass once. Irving alone had 11 such plays while Golden State, as a team, had 8 all game. What happened last night was the same thing that's happened to all of LeBron's teams, sans two: WAY too much isolation basketball. By contrast, the Warriors had very crisp ball movement. The extra pass was creating wide open shots. When you combine isolation basketball with the fact that the Warriors were switching on the pick and roll and the fact that Kevin Love simply cannot play defense, you have what happened last night. If you're Cleveland, Game 2 is a must win. They simply are not going to beat Golden State 4 games in a row.

Key point: JR Smith. He was given starter treatment in the last stretch of regular season and against those terrible teams they faced so far in the playoffs, but the reality is that he is a scrub. The Cavs were too much 3 happy and I knew once their balls started to not fall they would be in deep trouble. THats what happened yesterday, they had no answer for GSW's defense, by the way, what a great game they played in the defensive part of the game, I wasn't expecting that, I thought they would play that loose, run and gun style of game and then the Cavs would have their shots for 3. Offensively, GSW didn't play like I expected either, but then the bench did an outstanding job, they beat the Cavs starters, just that. Also Cavs defense was a disaster, a lot of GSW players showing up free at the rim.

Weird game, I don't expecting anything like that again in this series again, but what the Cavs did show last night is very concerning for Cavs fans. It seems like the matchup is worse than last year. JR Smith, Love, these guys will shrink even more once the situation gets critical, and Curry and Thompson will not stink like yesterday again.

I boldly said GS in 5 and I am sticking with that. GS is hot right now and the game the Cavs needed to steal to (maybe) win the series was just lost.

When the other team's top 2 guys have an off night you have to steal that game even if on the road. They failed to do that and now the series will not be close or competitive.

GS is just better and hot right now. The Cavs might have the better overall player in this series by a hair but GS has a better 2-9 and the difference in the best player is not nearly enough (Kevin Love is overrated too btw). Also when Curry is on and hitting his 3's he has more impact than LeBron on the game and is the best player on the court so that advantage disappears. As I also said before if you make 3's in the NBA nothing else matters. You just take over the game cause you force the other side into an impossible game of catch up.

GS will win the next game cause the starters will play well. They will lose the game after that cause the Cavs will be in a desperate must win situation but after the Cavs blow their load on that one it is over cause they will lose the next 2.

Key point: JR Smith. He was given starter treatment in the last stretch of regular season and against those terrible teams they faced so far in the playoffs, but the reality is that he is a scrub. The Cavs were too much 3 happy and I knew once their balls started to not fall they would be in deep trouble. THats what happened yesterday, they had no answer for GSW's defense, by the way, what a great game they played in the defensive part of the game, I wasn't expecting that, I thought they would play that loose, run and gun style of game and then the Cavs would have their shots for 3. Offensively, GSW didn't play like I expected either, but then the bench did an outstanding job, they beat the Cavs starters, just that. Also Cavs defense was a disaster, a lot of GSW players showing up free at the rim.

Weird game, I don't expecting anything like that again in this series again, but what the Cavs did show last night is very concerning for Cavs fans. It seems like the matchup is worse than last year. JR Smith, Love, these guys will shrink even more once the situation gets critical, and Curry and Thompson will not stink like yesterday again.

Well GS has that one really good defensive player and that is all you need to throw the Cavs out of wack. Put him on Lebron with a little help and a lot of their offense becomes really difficult.

I boldly said GS in 5 and I am sticking with that. GS is hot right now and the game the Cavs needed to steal to (maybe) win the series was just lost.

When the other team's top 2 guys have an off night you have to steal that game even if on the road. They failed to do that and now the series will not be close or competitive.

GS is just better and hot right now. The Cavs might have the better overall player in this series by a hair but GS has a better 2-9 and the difference in the best player is not nearly enough (Kevin Love is overrated too btw). Also when Curry is on and hitting his 3's he has more impact than LeBron on the game and is the best player on the court so that advantage disappears. As I also said before if you make 3's in the NBA nothing else matters. You just take over the game cause you force the other side into an impossible game of catch up.

GS will win the next game cause the starters will play well. They will lose the game after that cause the Cavs will be in a desperate must win situation but after the Cavs blow their load on that one it is over cause they will lose the next 2.

will-ferrell-zoolander.jpg

"That Golden State is so hot right now"

One thing is for sure. Cavs lose and LeBron goes 2-5 in NBA finals, that will put him squarely in Peyton territory.

Wouldn't Peyton territory be losing in the first round like 9 times, most of them as favorites?

Wouldn't Peyton territory be losing in the first round like 9 times, most of them as favorites?

You can argue that since the 07 season LeBron has always been favored to win the title and the Cavs/Heat have combusted in one way or the other.

I give him a slight pass for last year. No Love and Irving was a death blow.

In 2014 that was a toss up but he should have outplayed Leonard. That was the difference.

That was about as bad as it could be for Cleveland, getting blown out on a bad night from the splash brothers is throwing away a critical win. Most likely need to win like two games in Oakland and they let that one get away. Still saying Dubs in 7.

Losing to Dirk Nowitzki is once thing. Losing to Billy Volek seems another.

I can't stand Lebron but he deserves credit for getting to 6 straight finals. Peyton has 9 one-and-dones in 15 attempts while having very similar regular season success. Peyton is far the bigger choker and it seems not close.

You can argue that since the 07 season LeBron has always been favored to win the title and the Cavs/Heat have combusted in one way or the other.

I give him a slight pass for last year. No Love and Irving was a death blow.

In 2014 that was a toss up but he should have outplayed Leonard. That was the difference.
He did, LeBron was argumently the MVP of that series. His teammates big time sucked in that 2014 series. Ironically, LeBron played a lot better in the 2014 matchup than the 2013 series he won.

Drives me crazy. LeBron is like Corey Dillon with the stiff arm....
Thats what has driven me nuts for years. LeBron is a football player, playing by football rules, and somehow, he's allowed to get away with it.

He did, LeBron was argumently the MVP of that series. His teammates big time sucked in that 2014 series. Ironically, LeBron played a lot better in the 2014 matchup than the 2013 series he won.
In 2014 he quit on his team in game 5. You would, quite literally, have had to shoot Bird, or Magic or Jordan with a gun to get them out of that game.

Kerr toyed with Liu tonight. Seriously, one guy was playing Chess and the other was playing Checkers. How many combinations did we see on the floor tonight? It was fun to watch. LeBron kept the Cavs in it because he's LeBron, but the Cavs are going to need more from their bench with the kind of quality guys they have on it. They're going to need more from Love as well. He was putrid. Kyrie had an off shooting night, but he'll be better.

GS did what they were supposed to do and they did it in style. They are the better team. AI was spectacular. Livingston was insane. Barbosa played young and loose. Even Barnes, who I feel is a bit overrated by some, had a good start to the game. They were switching on LeBron a lot and the versatility shows. I've come to the conclusion that AI and Green are the only "great" defenders on the team. It's the team D that's mostly impressive and makes them what they are . . . they played well.

With all that said, I see seven. The Cavs will play better. They should know Curry and Thompson will go off at some point. That's just what they do. And they'll have to do a much much better job defending GS's bench. Yeah, there are some good guys on it, but CLE has to show some more grit defensively in the Finals. I think they will. CLE is overmatched, but they'll push this thing to the limit. They've got enough good players, perhaps the man who still stands at the summit, to make this a competitive series.

GS in 7
Love is awful. I've never understood the obsession the Boston media has with him. A good player on a bad team who disappears on good teams and has never heard the word defense.

Love is awful. I've never understood the obsession the Boston media has with him. A good player on a bad team who disappears on good teams and has never heard the word defense.

Cleveland made a HUGE mistake trading Wiggins for him. HUGE. But that's what happens when you let a superstar dictate front office and personnel moves.

I think Leonard outplayed him on both ends of the floor a majority of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes