PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cam Newton & the race card

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not ridiculous at all. Hate does not erase nor does it rid the world of hate. Dr. King tried to set that example himself and got killed for it. The Japanese are just one such example of a nation and people that was brought to it's lowest point, grew from it, got over it, and prospered to this day. African Americans have gotten to the point they're at by using the past as a crutch to blame their problems on. They've gotten to the point they're at by leaving it in history and working hard to better themselves and their situations. So if you're going to disagree with me, feel free to do so. But please point out which specific part of this post you disagree with and we can continue the discourse from there.
well for one thanks for making it obvious you are a racist, that does clear your argument right up. Also again dont talk about things you dont understand; im just not really sure how you can connect these two things was my point. For one Japan was an industrialized power before it was destroyed and was rebuilt with massive help from the US, maybe if Japanese people had been sold as slaves brought to another country where they were forced into cattle slavery for several hundred years and then after being freed were subject to legal discrimination for an additional century that prevented them from getting a quality education or even living in the same neighborhoods or using the same bathrooms as other people; then had two atomic bombs dropped on them you might have a point. It can be hard to get over racism when police can murder a 12 year old with a toy gun in an open carry state and people blame the child. Cam didnt say people should excuse poor play because he is black or anything, but he is right that if a QB acts or looks a certain way then all of the sudden he is an arrogant thug who is a bad role model.

well for one thanks for making it obvious you are a racist, that does clear your argument right up.

I read nothing after this. Thanks for starting your post off like that, though. It lets me know I don't have to take you seriously from here on out. The bolded was very obviously a typo. I meant to say "haven't". That said, you must not have read the rest (or your comprehension is beyond horrific) because the rest of the post would have bore that out for you. You came here in 2012, so you wouldn't know this, but back in 2009-2010 my forum avatar was Biggie Smalls. No racist makes their avatar pic a gangster rapper nor would said gangster rapper be their favorite vocalist. But thanks for playing.

berneydidnotread.gif

Just popping in to make a serious post and correct your history here. They weren't; chattel slavery and indentured servitude were qualitatively different. Read this paper by Irish historian Liam Hogan: https://uniteyouthdublin.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/slavemyth.pdf

Thanks. I would suggest the reading of White Cargo.

Before I go on I am not implying that the effects of white slavery and black slavery are comparable nor am I subtracting from the history of black slavery. Only that white slavery existed.

In short, indentured servitude for the most part is a myth. The first white "indentured servants" imported were of those that Britain deemed "surplus" people which included criminals, unemployed, homeless, street children, the then 'dehumanised' Irish and they were treated as slaves. Hundreds of thousands were purchased (much cheaper than the African slave), abused and many died. Life expectancy was less than two years. Very few indentured servants completed and received the fulfillments of their contracts.

Basically it was the greed/labor needs of British companies, such as the Virginia Tobacco Company, that drove the importation of white slaves and they satisfied those needs by paying judges per "criminal" received and "Spirits" (underground kidnappers) per worker. Britain wanted to clean out the criminals or lowlifes and the Tobacco companies needed labor.

Only 1 or 2 percent of British Americans were slave owners. It is much more likely for a white guy to be a descendant of a slave than a slave owner especially if they are of Irish heritage.

The similarities between black and white slavery for the most part end there. The assimilation into a free society has been exponentially tougher for a descendant of an African slave.

I read nothing after this. Thanks for starting your post off like that, though. It lets me know I don't have to take you seriously from here on out. The bolded was very obviously a typo. I meant to say "haven't". That said, you must not have read the rest (or your comprehension is beyond horrific) because the rest of the post would have bore that out for you. You came here in 2012, so you wouldn't know this, but back in 2009-2010 my forum avatar was Biggie Smalls. No racist makes their avatar pic a gangster rapper nor would said gangster rapper be their favorite vocalist. But thanks for playing.

berneydidnotread.gif
tumblr_mufof4xoYB1qbnxbno1_1280.gif

Cam didnt say people should excuse poor play because he is black or anything, but he is right that if a QB acts or looks a certain way then all of the sudden he is an arrogant thug who is a bad role model.

Exactly when was Cam called an "arrogant Thug who is a bad role model"?

well for one thanks for making it obvious you are a racist, that does clear your argument right up. Also again dont talk about things you dont understand; im just not really sure how you can connect these two things was my point. For one Japan was an industrialized power before it was destroyed and was rebuilt with massive help from the US, maybe if Japanese people had been sold as slaves brought to another country where they were forced into cattle slavery for several hundred years and then after being freed were subject to legal discrimination for an additional century that prevented them from getting a quality education or even living in the same neighborhoods or using the same bathrooms as other people; then had two atomic bombs dropped on them you might have a point. It can be hard to get over racism when police can murder a 12 year old with a toy gun in an open carry state and people blame the child. Cam didnt say people should excuse poor play because he is black or anything, but he is right that if a QB acts or looks a certain way then all of the sudden he is an arrogant thug who is a bad role model.

Could you have stated that without calling Kontra a racists? Do you consider him a racists because he stated his opinion, which I completely disagree with, or do you just think his opinion is ignorant? If you think it's ignorance, which I do, then a healthy discussion would help.

Do you think that Cam is disliked only because he is black or do you think some people find his "superman" act abrasive?

"Moving the ball forward" is of course really vague, but Obama had a tremendous opportunity to improve race relations in this country, and failed miserably.

I disagree on both parts of that. His opportunity was limited by the inevitability of a backlash. And much of what opportunity there was he seized.

What confuses people about race relations in the US, I think, is that we move on from solving one bad problem to dealing with the next. Slavery is over. Directly discriminatory laws are over. Overt job discrimination is over. Implicit job discrimination and the remnants of affirmative action are in some kind of awkward balance. Doubting the basic competence of blacks to hold the most challenging jobs? That's basically over too.

But unequal policing? That's not over, it's a much bigger deal than many people realized, and it's been the big racial issue of Obama's time.

Moving from one set of bad problems to the next ones is, in my opinion, pretty good progress.

Thanks. I would suggest the reading of White Cargo.

Before I go on I am not implying that the effects of white slavery and black slavery are comparable nor am I subtracting from the history of black slavery. Only that white slavery existed.

In short, indentured servitude for the most part is a myth. The first white "indentured servants" imported were of those that Britain deemed "surplus" people which included criminals, unemployed, homeless, street children, the then 'dehumanised' Irish and they were treated as slaves. Hundreds of thousands were purchased (much cheaper than the African slave), abused and many died. Life expectancy was less than two years. Very few indentured servants completed and received the fulfillments of their contracts.

Basically it was the greed/labor needs of British companies, such as the Virginia Tobacco Company, that drove the importation of white slaves and they satisfied those needs by paying judges per "criminal" received and "Spirits" (underground kidnappers) per worker. Britain wanted to clean out the criminals or lowlifes and the Tobacco companies needed labor.

Only 1 or 2 percent of British Americans were slave owners. It is much more likely for a white guy to be a descendant of a slave than a slave owner especially if they are of Irish heritage.

The similarities between black and white slavery for the most part end there. The assimilation into a free society has been exponentially tougher for a descendant of an African slave.

It's like you didn't even read the article I sent, which was a direct response to the skewed history of White Cargo and other white supremacist literature.

Could you have stated that without calling Kontra a racists? Do you consider him a racists because he stated his opinion, which I completely disagree with, or do you just think his opinion is ignorant? If you think it's ignorance, which I do, then a healthy discussion would help.

Do you think that Cam is disliked only because he is black or do you think some people find his "superman" act abrasive?
No I dont think that everyone who dislikes him is racist, im sure some people hate anyone who seems to enjoy themselves while playing sports; after all people hate bat flips too for some reason.But the view of him as an arrogant thug who is a bad teammate does seem to at least partly (if not mostly) come from some peoples perception that black athletes fit this mold and aren't smart enough to be QB's. I mean this whole thread started because apparently Cam having more than one celebration makes him arrogant, dumb and selfish; as for kontra thats my bad, I do understand that that was a likely typo but I have so often heard people say that exact thing that I took it at face value.

Me providing you the answers does nothing to sway your opinion. Only when you search for unbiased information yourself will it be possible. If you do not care enough to look yourself, then what is the point of me doing the work for you?

The information is easy as a quick google search....but, remain in denial...it will make you feel better about yourself.

Listen Nunchucks, I was not trying to be an ass. If you have information to support your opinion I would like to see it. What do you want me to google search?

I've checked voting demographics, crime statistics etc....

It's like you didn't even read the article I sent, which was a direct response to the skewed history of White Cargo and other white supremacist literature.

I did read it. I've saved the link so that I can look into the discrepancies between the two.

Have you read White Cargo? Just curious.

If I had a wife she would know that im the one with the fabulous ass.

Fair enough. I see your mea culpa in the other post so let me eat my lunch and I'll debate ya...

We're at a point in US history where many people's dislike of a public figure can be AMPLIFIED due to prejudice. However, a thankfully smaller fraction of the population dislikes people who, if they were of a different race or sex or whatever, they'd outright like.

In politics, for example, there are lots of reasons in this divided country for people to dislike Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. But the venomous hatred directed at them far exceeds what's been shown for any white male politician of similar leanings.

and ben carson -- ppl just say he's nutty cuz he's black

Listen Nunchucks, I was not trying to be an ass. If you have information to support your opinion I would like to see it. What do you want me to google search?

I've checked voting demographics, crime statistics etc....
A far more measured answer than the post you're responding to deserves. Hat tip.

I disagree on both parts of that. His opportunity was limited by the inevitability of a backlash. And much of what opportunity there was he seized.

What confuses people about race relations in the US, I think, is that we move on from solving one bad problem to dealing with the next. Slavery is over. Directly discriminatory laws are over. Overt job discrimination is over. Implicit job discrimination and the remnants of affirmative action are in some kind of awkward balance. Doubting the basic competence of blacks to hold the most challenging jobs? That's basically over too.

But unequal policing? That's not over, it's a much bigger deal than many people realized, and it's been the big racial issue of Obama's time.

Moving from one set of bad problems to the next ones is, in my opinion, pretty good progress.
Well, disagree on Obama's efforts here. Would require more work to respond properly than I'm up to now, to be honest.

I do agree with you that very serious racial problems have been significantly improved upon. Where I differ, I think, is where that leaves us now. As far as "unequal policing," what do you think that means? (That sounds a little snarky, I don't mean it to--I honestly am just asking the question.)

As far as "unequal policing," what do you think that means? (That sounds a little snarky, I don't mean it to--I honestly am just asking the question.)

Driving While Black.
The stats on stop-and-frisk.
The bad stuff in Ferguson that's unarguable (as opposed to the shooting, which is highly debatable).
Various incidents that have made the news in which the police are guilty maybe or maybe not of crimes, but at best of terrible, fatally bad judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back