PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cam Newton & the race card

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of Newton but it has nothing to do with race. Russell Wilson is a quarterback I really like. Wilson although a different type of QB reminds me of Brady. A guy who when he is celebratory it's usually showing his teammates appreciation or trying to fire them and crowd up.

For the most part I don't like guys with signature dances or celebrations. It makes me think of the Gastineau's and Merriman's of the world. Self-absorbed dinks. That said there is an element of liking it from your own players. Gronk's spikes are great and when he did the British Guard in London that was pretty awesome. I don't like Rodger's championship belt thing he does but I do like the Lambeau leap or when players jump into the first row in general. I'm sure people in cities with rivalries to the Pats think Gronk's celebrations are brash and dinkish.

The thing about Newton is he has about 4 different ones and then there's all the selfies on the sideline. He just fits into that TO, Hollywood Henderson type who's always trying to self promote and cares more about his image than anything else. I will grant his teammates do seem to like him which couldn't be said for many of the others I brought up.

But at the end of the day this has nothing to do with race and him pulling that card just helps add to racial tensions. If Edelman said people hate me because I'm a white wide receiver like Newton did with the black quarterback comments he would get scorned like there was no tomorrow.

If not for playing against Denver it would be really easy to root against the Panthers with Newton.

I'm clearly missing something. What does his race have to do with self promotion?

What did Newton say about black QBs?

I don't mind mini celebrations after a play but the selfies on the sideline tick me off. Even if you're up by 30 with 2:00 remaining on the clock, save that crap for after the game is over. It's rude and disrespectful to the other team. It's a kid's game, blah blah blah, they're just having fun -- cool, I get that.. but these are adults and should conduct themselves a tad more professionally.

A large component of the cam newton hate is that he is viewed as an arrogant black man who doesn't know his place, it also doesnt the help that he plays(and is dominating)the crown jewel white position in team sports of Quarterback. And we all know the history of black Qbs in the NFL and the negative stereotypes that come with it

This coming week I love Cam Newton and the Panthers. Go Cats! Maul the Donkeys! I hope Cam does a thousand dances and whatever else he does to celebrate. It will help overcome the Donkey stench. Almost any other time I would always support the AFC (AFL) teams but that pile of orange scum is to vile for me.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan of Newton but it has nothing to do with race. Russell Wilson is a quarterback I really like. Wilson although a different type of QB reminds me of Brady. A guy who when he is celebratory it's usually showing his teammates appreciation or trying to fire them and crowd up.

For the most part I don't like guys with signature dances or celebrations. It makes me think of the Gastineau's and Merriman's of the world. Self-absorbed dinks. That said there is an element of liking it from your own players. Gronk's spikes are great and when he did the British Guard in London that was pretty awesome. I don't like Rodger's championship belt thing he does but I do like the Lambeau leap or when players jump into the first row in general. I'm sure people in cities with rivalries to the Pats think Gronk's celebrations are brash and dinkish.

The thing about Newton is he has about 4 different ones and then there's all the selfies on the sideline. He just fits into that TO, Hollywood Henderson type who's always trying to self promote and cares more about his image than anything else. I will grant his teammates do seem to like him which couldn't be said for many of the others I brought up.

But at the end of the day this has nothing to do with race and him pulling that card just helps add to racial tensions. If Edelman said people hate me because I'm a white wide receiver like Newton did with the black quarterback comments he would get scorned like there was no tomorrow.

If not for playing against Denver it would be really easy to root against the Panthers with Newton.
Racist :rolleyes:

I guess some folks view his end zone antics as sort of an "in your face" thing and a "look at me, I'm great!" thing. For some a superstar should be more reserved on the field? Gronk has his big spike and that's it. Newton has a choreographed presentation it seems. I guess that rubs people the wrong way, that's all.

I'm clearly missing something. What does his race have to do with self promotion?

What did Newton say about black QBs?
Mike and Mike this morning, with replacement doofuses in place of the regular doofuses was all about this. Ryan Clark was there.
The 3 basically concluded that there is no reason to dislike Newton except that he is black.
Example: "Tom Brady celebrates, so you can't say you don't like Newton because he does"

Cam would be only the 3rd African-American QB to win a SB.

Go Panthers.

For God's sake, he does "The Dab" on the sideline. Some of you really should get over yourselves (after you Google what "the Dab" is, no doubt). After he does it, he usually goes back and celebrates with his teammates. It's really no different than Brady standing 15 yards behind the huddle and screaming and pumping his fists before he runs to celebrate with teammates.

Mike and Mike this morning, with replacement doofuses in place of the regular doofuses was all about this. Ryan Clark was there.
The 3 basically concluded that there is no reason to dislike Newton except that he is black.
Example: "Tom Brady celebrates, so you can't say you don't like Newton because he does"
Pathetic.

Rooting for Carolina is really a 'pick your poison' situation for me. They are the lesser of two evils (mainly BECAUSE of Newton). But I just can't root for Manning under any circumstances, and so I'm forced to root for CAR. Otherwise, I agree, I find his celebratory BS obnoxious. And the ripping Packers/Seahawks flags pisses me off to no end.... imagine if Brady pulled **** like that....

Cam would be only the 3rd African-American QB to win a SB.

Go Panthers.

A black QB winning a SB does not help the cause for those who feel there is still an equality gap with whites.

If you want to root for those African Americans who are aspiring scientists, doctors, lawyers, politicians, curing cancer, teachers, and great role models and fathers and mothers then that would help.

In the above sentence you can substitute African Americans for whites trash, hispanic, Asian, etc.

The sooner we start seeing each other as equals and each group not some oppressed, disadvantaged minority all this ******** race card crap can end once and for all.

I was 10 years old in 1964, I remember watching Ali (casious clay) mug for the camera and recite rhyms about how he was going knock his next opponent out, i Really liked Ali and all his antics. But even at 10 i realized that it was for show and learned a lot of it was to get in an opponents head. I don't see any of that in Newton, Newtons not clowning around, he really believes he is superman. I find him to be pretty obnoxious at times, goes way overboard in his celebrations. If it wasn't manning and the broncos i would be rooting against Newton, imo he needs to learn a Little humility.

Last edited:
A black QB winning a SB does not help the cause for those who feel there is still an equality gap with whites.

If you want to root for those African Americans who are aspiring scientists, doctors, lawyers, politicians, curing cancer, teachers, and great role models and fathers and mothers then that would help.

In the above sentence you can substitute African Americans for whites trash, hispanic, Asian, etc.

The sooner we start seeing each other as equals and each group not some oppressed, disadvantaged minority all this ******** race card crap can end once and for all.

I didn't say it would. I was just stating that as an interesting fact.

I want them to win because Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye