PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cam Newton tears down GB banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still private property when you the Taxpayers of Charlotte ponied up $144 million for renovations in the last couple years? Last week they couldn't stop 2 morons from rappelling from 3rd deck and raising a banner.

What was the banner? Super Bowl XXXVIII Participant?

I am still trying to figure out how they got the repelling gear into the stadium.

What constitutional right? I don't think that there is anything in the constitution that says that you are allowed to write whatever you want on a banner and place it on a private property.

The "affixing" thing is a legal technicality and a red herring here. The issue is one of freedom of expression in a public space (where anyone can buy a ticket for admission, rather than being chosen or screened by the property owner). If people are allowed to express their feelings about their team, it cuts both ways.

I'd be entertained by a court case challenging a team rule about opposing signs. Does it extend to clothing? Jewelry? To other forms of speech?

Most important to all of this, to me, is the verbal abuse aspect. Threats are made and implied hundreds of times at each game that would be cause for arrest on assault charges in almost any other setting.

At least it was a sign and not a laptop.:p

But seriously - I have no problem with what he did and I'm with those who would cheer a Jets sign getting taken down at Foxboro. The Free speech argument is irrelevant because it's not like those guys were in danger of getting arrested for bringing that sign in.

I support Cam. He will be playing in the Super Bowl barring a big upset.

Panthers got a good team. Their defense's legit. Curious to see if they can lock up that number 1 seed. Still got some tough games

I support Cam. He will be playing in the Super Bowl barring a big upset.

I can't stand Cam and his gigantic ego. He isn't nearly as good at QB as people want to make him out to be, and if he makes it to the SB it will be because of his team's defense.

This is a non-story. We'd be cheering it loudly if Gronk or Brady tore down a Jets banner in Foxboro.

First, Brady would never do that because he isn't a dbag. Gronk might, but he would be laughing and then give it back and bring the people on his party bus afterwords and be friends with them for life.

Plus, a better analogy would be pulling down a banner on a non-rival team (Panthers and Packers are not division rivals, or even historically conference rivals, really).

Note I don't think this is that big of a deal, but do think it was a lousy thing to do.

Last edited:
First, Brady would never do that because he isn't a dbag. Gronk might, but he would be laughing and then give it back and bring the people on his party bus afterwords and be friends with them for life.

Plus, a better analogy would be pulling down a banner on a non-rival team (Panthers and Packers are not division rivals, or even historically conference rivals, really).

Note I don't think this is that big of a deal, but do think it was a lousy thing to do.

It wasn't. It's football. Who cares.

This is the dumbest thing ever. And I'm not talking about Cam. I'm talking about the guys with the sign. Just get over it. Keep your banner to your own stadium
Agreed. I've seen similar displays in Gillette, albeit of a more homemade variety. What those fans did was a direct "in-yer-face" to the Panthers and Panther fans. Displaying a banner like that while tailgating in the parking lot? No problem. Wear your visiting colors/gear? No problem. But bringing that into the stadium is damn rude.

I can't stand Cam and his gigantic ego. He isn't nearly as good at QB as people want to make him out to be, and if he makes it to the SB it will be because of his team's defense.

He's been damn good this year, and aside from Greg Olsen he has literally nothing to work with. He's throwing to some guy named Philly, Ted Ginn, and the rotting husk once known as Jerricho Cotchery. He's a legitimate MVP candidate at the season's halfway point, though obviously not the front-runner.

Attachments

• laughing 4.jpg
    laughing 4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
its all dumb, if your an opposing fan and bring a banner to someone else's stadium then complain about what happens = Dumb

But I think Cam was being a D-Bag.

Still the GB fans are Dumb.

This is the dumbest thing ever. And I'm not talking about Cam. I'm talking about the guys with the sign. Just get over it. Keep your banner to your own stadium

Agreed. I've seen similar displays in Gillette, albeit of a more homemade variety. What those fans did was a direct "in-yer-face" to the Panthers and Panther fans. Displaying a banner like that while tailgating in the parking lot? No problem. Wear your visiting colors/gear? No problem. But bringing that into the stadium is damn rude.

Yeah, I agree. I'm no fan of Newton, God knows, and those folks probably didn't mean any harm, but it's just stupid and blatantly rude to Fly Your Flag on Enemy Turf. Guests are entitled to every Courtesy, as long as they are themselves courteous, but as much as I love the Patriots, I damned sure wouldn't go around insulting my Fellow Fans by unfurling Patriots Banners in their Stadiums, and I damned sure wouldn't tolerate them perpetrating that nonsense in our House, either: They're Marking Territory. Homey don't play that.

Yes not the biggest Cam fan but if you bring a banner to an opposing stadium you should not be surprised if it gets removed. I would expect it at Gillette. Just not from one of the players.

He's been damn good this year, and aside from Greg Olsen he has literally nothing to work with. He's throwing to some guy named Philly, Ted Ginn, and the rotting husk once known as Jerricho Cotchery. He's a legitimate MVP candidate at the season's halfway point, though obviously not the front-runner.

Like I said originally, I can't stand the guy, so it's definitely going to be difficult for me to come around to his MVP status.

I haven't seen that many of his games, but I've seen enough to be able to disagree that he's a legitimate MVP candidate. No matter who he has as targets, a true MVP candidate should be able to complete more than 54% of his passes.

After looking more closely, I found that this could be considered Newton's worst passing season of his career. If he is being considered as an MVP candidate then there's something else behind it other than his QBing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST