PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Barstool Sports Sells 51% Stake and Scoots Off to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for them... Anyone else would do the same thing if you dreamed of bringing your brand nationwide...

As far as bloggers I hope they fire Trent... He is awful

If they lose Pres, KFC, or Big Cat then I can see it failing so I would expect the Chernin Group to accommodate them and the content... They knew who they were getting into bed with when they bought Barstool

Last edited:
See how the Prez holds out on the big stage in front of the bright lights.. there is part of me who says he does well, but money is often the great equalizer.

I've cut off following them altogether except on IG and Snapchat and that's mostly to look at hot college co-eds.

You know there is legal recourse for that if someone ever felt their intellectual property was stolen and used to make money.

Yeah. Because lawsuits are free and you're guaranteed to win when someone wronged you.

Oh, I almost forgot -- Portnoy also had his posting naked son-of-Brady pictures clickwhoring. Way to go, David! You da man!

(For the record, I have nothing against him selling a 51% (or any percentage) of his stake. I just think he's a way-overrated unfunny hack who is not nearly as pro-Boston teams as he wants people to think.)

Last edited:
Not everyone is seduced by wealth and power. Sadly, the vast majority of the people produced by our culture are.

Is it even about wealth and power? It's pretty simple to me, he built the company from the ground up and had a chance to make some great money, to me it's smart business.

Is it even about wealth and power? It's pretty simple to me, he built the company from the ground up and had a chance to make some great money, to me it's smart business.
What if he was doing what he loved instead of something with the sole purpose of making money.

I think it's time to design an "Idle Thought's" T-shirt ;)

BTW- I'll let Ian distribute my column for a Thatcher St. Regina's Pizza a week....and a press pass for the Pats....and a dollar.

Imagine being able to do both
I do, and I'm seriously contemplating dumping a very lucrative career and entering a much more modest one at the bottom rung.

Great post.

Not a stoolie but I do not begrudge someone's success at monetizing their life labor. Congrats!

I've always disliked them and I thought they were being a bunch of unfunny assholes with all of their stunts during the deflategate mess. Like, I looked at them and thought "oh, this is why fans of other teams hate us."

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who post Barstool stuff all over Facebook, never really been my thing. I get why others like it, and maybe it's just that I've been outside of the Boston sports bubble for a long time, but El Pres is just an opportunist trying to cash in on fan sentiment. I don't have a problem with that, but I don't really buy the shtick either.

What's your problem with BS?

Agreed, Simmons is best case scenario. I get what some people don't like about him, but he's always struck me as a talented writer who cares about his teams, speaks honestly, and has a real vision and talent for building whatever he's working on, whether it's a column, podcast, film series, or an entire website.

And FWIW, among national voices he's pretty much the only one who's consistently 'got it' re: Deflategate. And yeah, a lot of people will dismiss him as a homer, but he's one of the few in the media who's made the Pats' case without coming off like a completely out of touch homer. Most (including El Pres) favor going off the deep end and ranting over just pointing out the obvious stuff and the credible, internally consistent reasons why Goodell would **** this all up so badly.

Pres did a tremendous job of poking holes through Deflategate. Of course it was schtick but it was also hilarious... And completely right.

Anyway I can see why some people don't like the Stool. Like drugs, it's awesome but not for everyone. For me, I spend 97% of my internet time on the barstool and Patsfans and I love them both.

Anyway I can see why some people don't like the Stool. Like drugs, it's awesome but not for everyone. For me, I spend 97% of my internet time on the barstool and Patsfans and I love them both.
Patjew does cocaine confirmed.

Dude sold a blog for somewhere between five and eight million dollars. Fair fuggin play to ya, Portnoy.

...but, and this is a big but, the whole "still in charge of content" is just silly. He sold 51% and accordingly has no leverage. Barstool is now going to have to devise an actual revenue strategy beyond t-shirts and in a world of ad-blockers that's not easy. Sponsored content is coming. Branded docs? You betcha. Local Smokeshow of the Week Presented by Cell-Tech? F'sho. Monetizing a large user group is not easy as I'm certain Ian can attest to. I'm glad a dude made out like a bandit off of user generated content and six sentence blurbs but don't expect the model to remain the same now that they actually have to generate real revenues.
Their revenue amounts are staggering considering it's touch and go here some months...didn't realize it was close to that high...unreal. As someone who has been at this for over a decade I know how tough it is to keep things going and the amount of work it takes to stay relevant. So good for them.

I liked his stuff much more when he was in Boston and concentrated more on the local sports scene.
I liked him before the Sox won. After that his shtick got pretty old pretty fast to me.

Pres did a tremendous job of poking holes through Deflategate. Of course it was schtick but it was also hilarious... And completely right.

Perfectly put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back