PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Andrew Luck 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the disdain for Luck. He's been a very good QB who in his first few years improved every year and pretty much carried a few decent skill players, a bad OL, and a poor defense to a lot of wins. Whatever he is now is the results of a horrible GM (now gone) and geting sacked over 40 times every year.

Don't forget that everyone is annoiting Derek Carr as the newest great thing, forgets he insists that his brother David was better. The difference was that David went to an expansion team where the only record he set was the amount of hits he took in his career, and Derek plays behind one of the best OL's in the league.

Make no mistake Luck has taken a real beating the last few years and it is finally showing in his performance. It also doesn't help when you know you are the only hope for a win each week.

Yea growing up I hated to read and my folks had a rule which was if you watch the movie you need to read the book. So I saw the movie in 1984 (I knew Sting was in it and I liked the Police) then read the book. Book was superior.

Books are almost always superior. In fact how can they not be. Unless for some reason you wanted to make a movie from a really crappy written book..

Take the Dark Tower for instance, the first 5 books of the series are some of the best books you will ever read. If you have many many hours to read them before August.. i mean even listening to the great audio books would take a while.

But then the Dark Tower Movie is coming out in August of this year... I have a feeling that The Dark Tower movie is going to be average at best for a Action/Sci Fi/Fantasy/Western.. yeah its all those genre's its unique but it will be average.

But the books are amazing. You have to spend Lord of the Rings type of time and Money to really make great movies.

Well depending on the scope of the project.

I don't understand the disdain for Luck. He's been a very good QB who in his first few years improved every year and pretty much carried a few decent skill players, a bad OL, and a poor defense to a lot of wins. Whatever he is now is the results of a horrible GM (now gone) and geting sacked over 40 times every year.

Don't forget that everyone is annoiting Derek Carr as the newest great thing, forgets he insists that his brother David was better. The difference was that David went to an expansion team where the only record he set was the amount of hits he took in his career, and Derek plays behind one of the best OL's in the league.

Make no mistake Luck has taken a real beating the last few years and it is finally showing in his performance. It also doesn't help when you know you are the only hope for a win each week.

I don't hate Luck, but I absolutely hated the media hype machine around him. For years in all the preseason predictions, every media person would have Luck at the odds on favorite MVP and best QB in the league. Most of this was based on his expectations coming into the league rather than anything he did on the field.

Ironically, Luck has gone from vastly overrated two years ago to underrated now. Now when you hear people in the media list the top QBs in the league, Luck is a forgotten man.

Books are almost always superior. In fact how can they not be. Unless for some reason you wanted to make a movie from a really crappy written book..

Take the Dark Tower for instance, the first 5 books of the series are some of the best books you will ever read. If you have many many hours to read them before August.. i mean even listening to the great audio books would take a while.

But then the Dark Tower Movie is coming out in August of this year... I have a feeling that The Dark Tower movie is going to be average at best for a Action/Sci Fi/Fantasy/Western.. yeah its all those genre's its unique but it will be average.

But the books are amazing. You have to spend Lord of the Rings type of time and Money to really make great movies.

Literary arts and visual arts are completely different means of expression. Different methods, different usage of points of view, etc...Fantasy books are usually ''better'' because they have no budget or length constrains unlike films. You can write a 1000 pages and it's not going to be much costlier than 800 pages.

On the other hand, no book will ever replicate the visceral thrill of Mad Max Fury Road or the aesthetic beauty of The Tree of Life or the musical delight and choreography of Singin' in the Rain.

Both enrich ones life.

Very curious how good Dark Tower will be

I remember seeing a similar photo of LeBron James a few years ago, he looked completely emaciated in it and people were shocked by it. However, When the season rolled around he was the same player as always. I'm sure Luck will be ready for the season but until they build an actual NFL caliber team around him he's going to struggle.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to relay that it clocks in at a mere 1:25. In my lifetime of movie watching, I have never seen a decent flick that clocks in under 90 minutes. (Excepting DC animated ones.)

You have to spend Lord of the Rings type of time and Money to really make great movies.

This is what Dune really needs- or a Game of Thrones type commitment. Just too much material for a two or three hour movie to cover.

I remember seeing a similar photo of LeBron James a few years ago, he looked completely emancipated in it and people were shocked by it. However, When the season rolled around he was the same player as always. I'm sure Luck will be ready for the season but until they build an actual NFL caliber team around him he's going to struggle.

That he is recovering from a shoulder surgery, and isn't throwing yet is the part that is alarming.

Unlike going to Dr. Andrews for an ACL, there is no procedure for shoulder surgery with a known timeline for recovery, especially one that fits in with NFL schedule.

Luck may make a full recovery, regaining all the strength in the shoulder right away, or he may be Pennington'd. Until he starts throwing, nobody, including the Colts, knows. If Luck were a safety or TE the recovery wouldn't be as much of a big deal. But that it's the throwing shoulder of a QB raises some questions.

This is what Dune really needs- or a Game of Thrones type commitment. Just too much material for a two or three hour movie to cover.

IMHO, the reason is that in a conventional great movie (say, The Godfather) the background and the surrounding "universe" is easily established. The Godfather takes place some years ago in New York with a mafia family, most people are familiar with the general context. Most of the movie is devoted to character development and plot. It is possible to do that very effectively in a normal length movie.

Even Game of Thrones takes place in a relatively conventional context, to over simplify a bit, it is essentially back-stabbing medieval Europe with dragons, magic, and sorcery thrown in.

In contrast, a movie like "Lord of the Rings" (which was spectacular IMHO) or "Dune" needs to establish a completely new universe. It is very difficult to do that in a normal length movie. Dune is especially problematic because the universe is so different than what we are used to: 20,000 years in the future, machine intelligence having been long banned, humans have used drugs and other techniques to adapt their minds for tasks such as advanced computation and interstellar travel. It is just such an alien, different, extremely complex universe that it is difficult to capture it on film IMHO.

I think it's nearly impossible to include every detail of a book in a movie. Davinci Code (Dan Brown) was a fantastic book turned into a crappy movie. Not even Tom Hanks could save it.

That he is recovering from a shoulder surgery, and isn't throwing yet is the part that is alarming.

Unlike going to Dr. Andrews for an ACL, there is no procedure for shoulder surgery with a known timeline for recovery, especially one that fits in with NFL schedule.

Luck may make a full recovery, regaining all the strength in the shoulder right away, or he may be Pennington'd. Until he starts throwing, nobody, including the Colts, knows. If Luck were a safety or TE the recovery wouldn't be as much of a big deal. But that it's the throwing shoulder of a QB raises some questions.

I had major shoulder surgery last year, I'm only now ready for this years NFL season.

Andrew Luck is collateral damage for Bill Polian, Ryan Grigson, Jim Irsay, Peyton Manning love-fests, fake crowd noise, inflated dome temperatures and deflated botched witch hunts.

Luck also helped contribute to his negative image here by taking a shot at Brady during defamegate.

The only thing I like about him is that he tends to sail his passes high.

Suck FOR Luck became Suck IS Luck pretty quickly.

Sometimes Brady's regular season success is downplayed by his weak division, but jus look at Andrew Luck. He is in a division that should pretty much guarantee a playoff spot every year but Luck still can't take advantage of the opportunity.

there was a Dune mini-series (three 90-minute episodes) made back in 2000 which was truer to the novel than the original movie.

Dune (TV Mini-Series 2000– ) - IMDb

Sometimes Brady's regular season success is downplayed by his weak division, but jus look at Andrew Luck. He is in a division that should pretty much guarantee a playoff spot every year but Luck still can't take advantage of the opportunity.

Yup. The AFCS teams have been the little sisters of the poor of the NYFL.

As bad as they've been though they were ahead of the AFCN and NFCW in conference and non-conference won/lost % last season.

Our own AFCE placed 3rd in both but were the beneficiary of playing the last two divisions, the AFCN and NFCW.

FINALLY showing?

Are you forgetting the back to back playoff no-shows against the Pats where he wowed us with 2 TDs and 6ints and an average 38.0 qb rating?

Overhyped from the get-go. He's an upscale Bledsoe.

The sucked for luck and now they suck with luck

a6bc37129d197609c00ce5684f8126f2.jpg

FINALLY showing?

Are you forgetting the back to back playoff no-shows against the Pats where he wowed us with 2 TDs and 6ints and an average 38.0 qb rating?

Overhyped from the get-go. He's an upscale Bledsoe.
That's a bad analysis. Ro. Both those games were on the road. The coaching mismatch was huge. He played with a horrible OL and a horrible defense, against a better team with a better game plan.

I'm sure if I wanted to do some bad analysis I could find 2 games where Brady had a 40 QB rating. The fact is he had a great start to his career. Every year he went a little farther, culminating in that 2014 AFCCG loss. He wasn't bad after that, but the hits and injuries have clearly taken a toll on his game, just like it would for ANY QB who has to go through that kind of beating.

Don't blame Luck for being a Colt. He didn't have a vote on where he got drafted. He was NOT responsible for his besotted owner, incompetent GM, and overmatched HC, OR deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back