PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT⁝ Free Agent Tackle Orlando Brown

Surprising take from experienced football guy. And actually shortsighted from your part.

With below average borderline dysfunctional OL (weak links esp at LT, poor depth, new inexperienced coach...) you cant really expect “significant improvement“ from any QB. You dont want to put him in a position to succeed yet you NEED to see significant improvement? You do know the definition of insanity, right : ) Wanna waste another year of the only QB you ever drafted in first round? Wanna waste Judons tenure here and the rest? etc etc

Look at how Brady looked the moment OL had weak links this yr and last (and even then TB OL was still better than NE). And if he was thrown in dysfunctional situation like this as a rookie i wonder how much we would know about him. On the flip side everybody was making fun of Philly taking Hurts in second round. They put him behind dominant OL (also added WR1) and suddenly he looked like all pro. Do you think KC are stupid to invest so much in OL every year after they were burned few yrs ago and rather leave weaknesses on D? Everything in football goes through OL, you should know that. NE wasted two precious years of their first round QB with experiments/incompetence/failure of putting him in situation to succeed. This is not the way you're getting improvement, you're getting more and more frustrated QB and the locker room. (Meyers chose cheap Vegas offer over this situation etc.) If Bill was not Bill he would be gone.
Completely agree
Since mcgary is also gone for I believe 3 years 34 Million there is not much left in the free agent OT spot
I think Brown plus T.Brown and a draft pick makes a lot of sense, esp since our weapons aren’t exactly frightening and mac is not mobile st all, he needs good protection and weapons to succeed we have seen this last year, so i want to give him as much help as he can get to reslld evaluate him
Also after a new OC is here, I want to see what we got in bob with good players to work with

There’s no way Bill is paying this guy when the LT class is deep and talented in this years draft.
Best bet is to draft 2-3 tackles and hope one is a starter, a second is a swing backup.

Pick 14 has to be a tackle as of right now.
There is a gaping hole at WR too. I think the best scenario at 14 is Skoronski, Paris Johnson or WR JSN. If all off the board then trade back to the 20s for Zay Flowers or Broderick Jones. If you draft a WR in Rd 1, then a trade up in the 2nd is in order to secure Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright.

There is a gaping hole at WR too. I think the best scenario at 14 is Skoronski, Paris Johnson or WR JSN. If all off the board then trade back to the 20s for Zay Flowers or Broderick Jones. If you draft a WR in Rd 1, then a trade up in the 2nd is in order to secure Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright.
WR they need to make a trade happen at this point. No rookie is going to come in and make the impact they desperately need.

Remember a couple of years ago when KC got blown out in the SB?

Why was that game lopsided?

So KC played it very smart, "overpaying" Thuney, then grabbing Orlando Brown (thanks a lot, Baltimore idiots). Think of Brown as the Thuney of tackles - not the top top, but very, very good, and most importantly, ON THE FIELD.

Durable offensive linemen are critical to success in the NFL. The unit has to be just that: a unit. You need talent that stays on the field, which is the biggest reason Wynn is a bust and Trent Brown is worrisome.

"Great when healthy" is a bad tag to put on an offensive lineman. You want to build for the next five years? Then put guys like Thuney and Brown across your OL.

Also, what seems like too much today is average in two years. It'd be really nice to have a few important slots settled as the rebuild hits peak.

Last edited:

Man, that’s a rough explanation from Schefter. Since Orlando Brown is not already a Bear, I’m assuming they aren’t willing to play Brown at LT and flip somebody else over to RT. Seems like he’s running out of suitors in a hurry, which means the price might be more reasonable than the $22M range some were predicting.

At this point I wonder if Brown would take something like $19M per year if it came alongside an announcement that he is a LEFT TACKLE. I'd take him at LT, move Trent Brown to RT and you're set. You have McDermott as a solid backup RT and hopefully Calvin Anderson as a capable swing tackle. I think that's a pretty good OL and you could still draft a good prospect at tackle to develop.

Pick 14 has to be a tackle as of right now.
I look at what Cincy did. They should've picked a tackle but took Chase. I'd say it worked out. Pick 14 better be a starter who goes into a second contract with the pats. Don't care tackle or wr. They need difference makers.

I disagree I can't see Bob going in with this misfit cast of WR's. I see WR as the First and possibly Second pick: our WR's had separation Issues.
The offensive line has protection issues, a gaping hole at a starting RT. A LT who looked unmotivated and was liking tweets about Mac being benched or whatever it was.

The offensive line has protection issues, a gaping hole at a starting RT. A LT who looked unmotivated and was liking tweets about Mac being benched or whatever it was.
Even if we had Jonathan Ogden in his prime @ LT the Defense would get coverage sacks with this current WR group minus Meyers.

I disagree I can't see Bob going in with this misfit cast of WR's. I see WR as the First and possibly Second pick: our WR's had separation Issues.
Every draft analyst is saying this isn't a good receiver class. I'm wary of drafting receivers in the 1st and 2nd that would be 2nd and 3rd round value in a different draft. I want to draft based on best player available rather than need especially in the first two rounds.

I do think we could get solid slot receivers (they usually go later) in the 3rd - 4th rounds. Guys like Tank Dell, Mims, Parker Washington, Charlie Jones, Jake BoBo, AT Perry, Ford-Wheton Bryce.

Every draft analyst is saying this isn't a good receiver class. I'm wary of drafting receivers in the 1st and 2nd that would be 2nd and 3rd round value in a different draft. I want to draft based on best player available rather than need especially in the first two rounds.

I do think we could get solid slot receivers (they usually go later) in the 3rd - 4th rounds. Guys like Tank Dell, Mims, Parker Washington, Charlie Jones, Jake BoBo, AT Perry, Ford-Wheton Bryce.
I feel the same way. You just look at the measurables. Small in size and running a 4.45. That's not like any player picked in the top 15 in many recent years.

A guy like JSN whose speed has been questioned is fully 25-30 pounds less than the guys who ran similar speed and were taken later in the draft and had success (back end of 1st round, 2nd round).

Honestly I am not as down on the class as many Draft analysts I think the class is much better than regarded.

Even if we had Jonathan Ogden in his prime @ LT the Defense would get coverage sacks with this current WR group minus Meyers.
Well I’m a believer in winning in the trenches first and foremost, but I see your point.

Well I’m a believer in winning in the trenches first and foremost, but I see your point.
Glad Bob just came from the College Ranks maybe he knows some WR's he think he can work with. Parker and Mac didn't exactly click consistently last year.

Don't sleep on Michael Wilson. He is going to be a stud when healthy..

As mediocre as this line is, its far better than the receiving core. Unless Thornton stays healthy and breaks out in a big way, it’s maybe worse than the 2006 Patriots without Tom Brady to fix it.

JSN and Johnston both have better grades on them than some of the top OT prospects.

Ok, they didn’t run the 40 at the combine. But they impressed with their explosiveness with is what Mac needs. It’s not like Mac has shown the ability to throw 50 yard passes anyway.

Orlando Brown admits he needs help from a RB or TE in pass protection...

Orlando Brown admits he needs help from a RB or TE in pass protection...

Yikes. His agent was so dumb for allowing him to go on this show and speak extemporaneously. How was this appearance going to help him convince teams that he is an elite LT and should be paid as such? They did this just because Schefty said on the show last night that teams view him as a RT.

He basically said

"I want to be paid like a top 5 LT but it sure would be nice to have a running back or tight end help me out by chipping those wicked fast edge rushers, because those one-on-one battles were really tough for me in KC".

Oy vey. What a disaster. I feel bad for the guy. I can’t ever remember an NFL free agent going on TV to make his case for a big contract. It’s bizarre.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back