PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Only the head coach can call sidline TO's"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
According to Felger this morning. Now how spooky is that my friends? The football gods were certainly with us once again. Although Felger is a PITA, his column is on the money this morning (imho). From the moment Watson didn't make that TD catch in the beginning - you just knew we were in for a long night. That set the tone, not to mention he didn't make the catch on an earlier high back of the end zone pass that would have been a great catch but is the kind of catch that is made when we are playing our A game. Let's hope we get our act together for Pittsburgh and the stretch run.......

He's wrong (suprise, surprise). On sirius nfl radio an announcer said yesterday that he had just spoken with NFL officials in the league office and clarified that indeed any coach on the sideline can call a timeout.

From Peter King's column...

New England ball, fourth-and-1, Baltimore 30, 1:48 left, Baltimore up 24-20. At the last second before the snap, Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan calls timeout. The play went on, with Baltimore stuffing Tom Brady for a loss and, theoretically, that should have been New England's last gasp. One problem. Only the head coach is supposed to be able to call time on the sidelines. But in this case, the league has interpreted the rule on a last-millisecond timeout call that the side official cannot be responsible for seeing whether it's the head coach or another coach who calls time. So it's technically legal for Ryan to have called the timeout, and the league's point is the head coach is responsible for controlling his bench. In this case, Brian Billick has to be responsible for his sideline, and when Ryan calls time, the burden is on Billick to accept the call because it happened on the Baltimore sideline.

felger claims he is the most objective guy and constantly mocks fans for not being objective so he will write anything which makes him sound objective however irrelevant he may be.

I know the Pats receivers let up on the play, but has anyone checked to see if the o-line half assed it as well?
According to Brady, we know he did. ;)

Even if Felger were right, which he isn't, I would think it would be Unsportsmanlike Conduct for someone to illegally call a timeout - just like Gibbs did when he tried to go back to back.

Time out was called right before the snap, with Rex Ryan running towards field judge screaming timeout. What was the ref suppose to do? Turn his head and possibly miss his assignment by making sure it is head coach calling time out? On crucial 4th down play, that is asking for a lot.

Even if Felger were right, which he isn't, I would think it would be Unsportsmanlike Conduct for someone to illegally call a timeout - just like Gibbs did when he tried to go back to back.
It should be Unsportsmanlike conduct but isn't...was it in teh Colt ga,e last year OR another when someone called a timeout..it was acknowledged and then it was learned there was no timeouts left...NO penalty...seems like a way to get around things...It OBVIOUSLY should be a penalty..but according to teh rules..the ONLY time it is a penalty is when it's done to freeze a kicker..

It should be Unsportsmanlike conduct but isn't...was it in teh Colt ga,e last year OR another when someone called a timeout..it was acknowledged and then it was learned there was no timeouts left...NO penalty...seems like a way to get around things...It OBVIOUSLY should be a penalty..but according to teh rules..the ONLY time it is a penalty is when it's done to freeze a kicker..

Well, it was definitely a penalty when Gibbs did it -- quite inadvertently.

I'm no expert (see sig.) but that sounds like a great point.

I'm no expert (see sig.) but that sounds like a great point.
It SHOULD be a penalty but as far as I know, there is NO penalty when it is done...the ONLY time there is one is when two are taken in a row as Gibbs did...and I believe that is stated in the rules..why there is NO penalty for taking a timeout is beyond me..supposedly a ref is supposed to ignore a call for a timeout when a team does not have one..but in the case last year, one was called..teh team had none and there was NO penalty..

TB said in his PC that he slowed up after hearing the whistle and would've made the 1st down if he had'nt heard one blow, now it took that with a hint of a smile from tom and laughter from the press, but if you watch that replay over and over as i did, he clearly is looking towards the sideline and the side line ref and basically just stands there waiting to get wrapped up by the D.

According to Felger this morning. Now how spooky is that my friends? The football gods were certainly with us once again. Although Felger is a PITA, his column is on the money this morning (imho). From the moment Watson didn't make that TD catch in the beginning - you just knew we were in for a long night. That set the tone, not to mention he didn't make the catch on an earlier high back of the end zone pass that would have been a great catch but is the kind of catch that is made when we are playing our A game. Let's hope we get our act together for Pittsburgh and the stretch run.......

By the letter of the rule it is, however TO's are routinely called (and allowed to be called) by the O/DC's. The blame lies with Rex Ryan not the official who in that split second hears someone running up to him yelling for a TO and needs to blow the whistle.

I know what you mean about Watson no pulling that catch in. I got a bad feeling after that, too.

Now reverse the situation. The ref does not acknowledge the time called by Ryan because he's not the head coach. Brady sneaks and runs it all the way into the end zone while Raven players are looking over to Ryan to see if the TO will be called.

How much whining would there be on that one?

It SHOULD be a penalty but as far as I know, there is NO penalty when it is done...the ONLY time there is one is when two are taken in a row as Gibbs did...and I believe that is stated in the rules..why there is NO penalty for taking a timeout is beyond me..supposedly a ref is supposed to ignore a call for a timeout when a team does not have one..but in the case last year, one was called..teh team had none and there was NO penalty..

Are you sure that you are right about this? I thought that calling a time-out when the team was out of time-outs attracted a penalty now -- unsportsmanlike conduct, I believe. Why wouldn't an ineligible person calling a time-out be the same?

It's like a perfect game in baseball. You always need that one lucky or great play to make it happen. If the Pats go undefeated, be prepared to see that play mentioned in every article, news clip, or book written about the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe