PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only Brady is Canton bound from all Patriots SB teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bills were in a different era. When they went to four Super Bowls in a row, it was either prior to free agency (the first few) or in the early years of it. That means they were able to keep their team together. No way would that have all those HOFers for the entire run.

The fact of the matter is no team will have the amount of HOFers in from a single 5 year or so stretch of time as the the early 90s Bills because the NFL is a much different league than then. Holding a team full of HOF players is impossible in today's NFL.

Personally, I don't really care. I would like to see some of the guys who played for this team recognized in the Hall, but I would rather see them win more Super Bowls even if it hurts their chances for getting to the Hall.

Look at any team in the league over the last five years. Can you name any team with more than 2-3 sure HOF candidates at any given period of time?
they will kiss the ass of the Steelers I am sure and it will be disrespectful when they wind up with more than us from this decade. Bus, Ward, Rothlesburger, Polomalu for sure and possibly Marvel Smith, Hampton, and some of the LBs.

I think it is a shame that our team first attitude takes away from the individual accomplishments. I am sure some of our guys would have made more pro bowls during the early part of the decade if they self endulged more and thus would be percieved as better individually.

It might be from there, but it's probably not too far off.

The Hall is (supposed to be) about individual acclaim and achievements. Apart from Brady, who else from those teams have shown true individual brilliance?

You are probably limiting your comments to players, but just in case you weren't: Belichick of course. In the discussion, but not certain: Pioli if he comes close to duplicating his results with another team and Bob Kraft for bringing one of the weaker franchises economically and on the field into the top three in the league.

Of the players: Vinatieri. Seymour. Law. Harrison. An argument can be made for each of them; whether they get admitted will be a function of a lot of factors, including who else is up and how the next couple of seasons go. But if you are trying to argue that they haven't "shown true individual brilliance," you and I are simply not on the same page or haven't been watching the same team.

Moss and Seau will probably always be identified primarily with other teams.

Last edited:
Brady, Vinatieri, and Belichick go in as Pats.

Moss goes in as a Pat/Viking.

Seau goes in as a Charger.

Seymour has a good chance; Harrison is borderline.

Bruschi, Law, Dillon, McGinest, and Taylor are doubtful. At some point voters will end up saying "okay, that's enough players from those Patriot teams"; remember the backlash to all the Steelers that got in to the HoF from the 70's?

Depending on what happens in future years Kraft may have a chance too.

That's pretty close to my read. I'd probably put Harrison over the borderline and into the "good chance" category; also, he'll be making a lot of friends among the voters in his new job--but of course politics has nothing to do with HOF elections :rolleyes:. Also, I'd move Law up into the "has a good chance" line.

I'd add Scott if he duplicates his genius in KC.

Last edited:
RIGHT NOW and only RIGHT NOW:

Tom, Belichick, Adam V. and Moss (Thanks to Tom and Moss's Patriot Rehabilitation).

There is no one else and I'm a freakin' TOTAL PATRIOTS HOMER!

When you start talking about Sey and Willie - Look at the two defensive guys that got in last night: Derrick Thomas and Bruce Smith......Sey and Willie are not in that class and if that's the bar, then it will take a long time to get those two in Canton.

Bruschi? Come on guys and gals, really? I LOVE Teddy, but that ain't happin' - Just becasue you play in 4-5 Super Bowls does not get you in the HOF. You have to be the best at your position while you were playing, can we say that? Did he have a signature moment that's recognized outside of New England? Was he defensive player of the year? Apply those same questions to many of the other Patriot candidates.

they will kiss the ass of the Steelers I am sure and it will be disrespectful when they wind up with more than us from this decade. Bus, Ward, Rothlesburger, Polomalu for sure and possibly Marvel Smith, Hampton, and some of the LBs.

I think it is a shame that our team first attitude takes away from the individual accomplishments. I am sure some of our guys would have made more pro bowls during the early part of the decade if they self endulged more and thus would be percieved as better individually.

I strongly agree with your first paragraph. I'm not as sure about your second paragraph. I don't think it was as much a matter of reticence or "humility" on the part of the players as it was of the politics of the whole process.

We have to remember that the Pats coming into this decade were the "upstarts." We didn't have the history of excellence that the Steelers and other franchises brought to the table. That can lead to a lot of favoritism in the voting. Pro Bowls and HOF votes are political processes and beauty contests as much as they are measures of excellence and ability. So, I think that's going to move over time in the Pats favor.

The Krafts are clearly committed to fielding excellent, competitive teams, year after year, with a top notch staff on the sideline and in the front office. The more the Pats become fixtures in the post-season and the more they are seen as one of the primary drivers of league revenue, then the more respect they will get and the more the politics will turn in their direction.

But, I think realistically it will take another decade before the Pats are reflexively viewed in the same category as the Steelers or a few others. But, if we are patient, we will see it happen. The NFL has been around a long time and unless the players and owners commit mutual self-destruction over the CBA, it will be around for many more years. The Patriots under the Krafts will be major players for a long time to come.

Last edited:
RIGHT NOW and only RIGHT NOW:

Tom, Belichick, Adam V. and Moss (Thanks to Tom and Moss's Patriot Rehabilitation).

There is no one else and I'm a freakin' TOTAL PATRIOTS HOMER!

When you start talking about Sey and Willie - Look at the two defensive guys that got in last night: Derrick Thomas and Bruce Smith......Sey and Willie are not in that class and if that's the bar, then it will take a long time to get those two in Canton.

Bruschi? Come on guys and gals, really? I LOVE Teddy, but that ain't happin' - Just becasue you play in 4-5 Super Bowls does not get you in the HOF. You have to be the best at your position while you were playing, can we say that? Did he have a signature moment that's recognized outside of New England? Was he defensive player of the year? Apply those same questions to many of the other Patriot candidates.

Still think media outside NE thinks Sey is a HoFer. Not sure I'd put him in, but I think THEY will.

Ted Washington is so underappreciated, it's not even funny.

I don't know why people are writing off Seymour. If he can stay healthy now, he's got over half a decade to solidify his spot, be it in New England or elsewhere. I could see him immediately making an enormous improvement to Denver or Kansas City next season, for example, if the Patriots don't re-sign him.

Rodney Harrison only made 2 pro bowls (in 98 and 01 I believe). I really have a hard time believing that a player with that kind of record will make the HOF. Jeff Garcia has made more pro bowls at a much more prominent position so I guess he has a shot too? Assuming he is on the fence, I believe his low hit on Trent Green might hurt his chances. Throw in the HGH suspension and he's out of luck.

tom brady - first ballot hall of famer

bill belichek - first ballot hall of famer

williy mac - no HOF

derrick thomas was not even a first ballot hall of famer

he had 126.5 sacks and i think was just as Explosive at LB as LT was

williy mac 86 sacks 798 tackels 5 INT very good but not HOF

Tedy Bruschi - 1065 tackels 30.5 sacks 12 INT HOF maybe - but not first ballot hall of famer

Rodney Harrison - 1198 tackels 30.5 sacks 34 INT HOF i say yes but not first ballot

ty law - 829 tackels 5 sacks 52 INT and 7 TD and 5 pro bowl's HOF i say yes but not first ballot

adam v - yes he is a HOF but not first ballot just because he's a KICKER

randy moss is a first ballot HOF

seymour need's 2 more rings and 5 more pro bowl's to be a HOF

matt light the only stats OL have is pro bowl's and he only has 2 so hes not a HOF

Last edited:
tom brady - first ballot hall of famer

bill belichek - first ballot hall of famer

williy mac - no HOF

derrick thomas was not even a first ballot hall of famer

he had 126.5 sacks and i think was just as Explosive at LB as LT was

williy mac 86 sacks 798 tackels 5 INT very good but not HOF

Comparing Willie to Lawrence Taylor IMO makes for an interesting debate and might even help his cause.

Taylor is the absolute cream of the crop IMO as far as LB. Willie has 46 sacks less than him. sounds like a lot but add in that he is the post season leader in sacks and again figure Taylor to be the best of the best and that would at least put Willie pretty close.

If they win another Super Bowl this year or better yet finish what they started in 2007 Bruschi would have a pretty good case for the Hall. Playing in six Super Bowls and being part of the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history and all his big plays over the years in playoff games would be a good case for him to get in.

Bruschi has not shot at the NFL HoF and I don't understand the wishful thinking.

Bruschi has not shot at the NFL HoF and I don't understand the wishful thinking.

I'm not saying he's a first ballot HOFer but if u factor all the postseason big plays, being a key member of 5 Super Bowl Teams (so far), only player with 4 straight interceptions for TDs, key member of only 16-0 team, key member of only 2 teams to win 20 straight games, and the whole coming back from the stroke in the same season (u know that will be a contributing factor the Hall loves stories like that) but that's only if they win another Super Bowl.

For an example Charles Haley ( I know he's not in yet but he will probably get in) the only reason he's even considered is because he was a contributing member of 5 Super Bowl teams.

Last edited:
Brady, BB, Moss and Seau i think we can all agree are 100% hall of famers

I will go out and say Willie mac, Bruschi, Harrison, are not hall of famers

The only 2 i think are debatable are Seymour and Law.

To compare Seymour to Bruce Smith, both were 3-4 DE's.... Seymour to this point has 39 sacks. In his first 8 years, Smith had 91.

Granted, Smith is the best 3-4 end of all time... so Seymour could still get in. But it's gonna be hard for him.

Law is a tough one too because there wasn't really a time where he was regarded as the #1 corner in the league... It was Deion, and more recently Champ. But he played on great teams, owned Peyton manning and had a good, long career.

If Welker continues to get 105-110 receptions for the next 4-6 years, anyone think he has a shot?

Still think media outside NE thinks Sey is a HoFer. Not sure I'd put him in, but I think THEY will.

I think they think he's THE prototypical 3-4 Lineman. If that's enough to get in the hall, then I'll be one happy guy. The more the better!!! I want to go to a couple of those ceremonies - Bill's, Tom's and Randy's (If he sticks with us) and I'd love to see Sey get in too.

You guys saying Seymour, a 3-4 end with meager "jump-out-at-you" stats, are just crazy. There's no chance, none.

Frankly I think Seymour is a lock, especially if he puts together a few more good seasons like last season, and if he wins another superbowl with us f'in forget it, first ballot? Why is everyone talking about stats for seymour? Seymour is the Mean Joe Greene of this decade

I'm not familiar enough with a lot of the Pat players career stats and what it takes at each position to get in to say who has a shot at getting in, but I just wanted to say playing on championship teams does count for a lot.

Troy Aikmen, Terry Bradshaw, a lot of the Steelers from the 70's teams, would not have gotten in without the team accomplishments. So maybe some of the borderline Pats players will get the same kind of consideration when they become eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft