PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only Brady is Canton bound from all Patriots SB teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Ballet:
Brady
Belichick

Players that will make it:
Seymour
McGinest (All time playoff sack leader)
Viniateri
Law
Rodney Harrison

On the bubble:
Light

I did not include players that will be inducted as a player from another team, like Seau will always be remembered as a Charger, Moss, Dillon will always be a Bengal (but will not make the HoF).

What is the count on 90s Bills in teh HoF?

I think this makes sense. I would add Bru to the Bubble as he will get consideration and sentimentality might get him in. I added Moss to your post.

I would add one category to your list which is Rising potential guys like Wilfork, Mankins, and Mayo.

If they win another Super Bowl this year or better yet finish what they started in 2007 Bruschi would have a pretty good case for the Hall. Playing in six Super Bowls and being part of the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history and all his big plays over the years in playoff games would be a good case for him to get in.

Let's save the HOF for the truly elite players. Look at this year's class - Bruce Smith was the best defensive end in the AFC for a decade. Ditto Rod Woodson at cornerback. Out of a 15 year career, bruschi had a few years where he was MAYBE a top 5 ILB, a few years where he was an above average player, and a few years where he was a marginal player. Bruschi should not be in the HOF, I don't care how many SB teams he's on.

Last edited:
Jerod Mayo and Pat Chung highlight the Hall of Fame class of 2029.

Let's save the HOF for the truly elite players. Look at this year's class - Bruce Smith was the best defensive end in the AFC for a decade. Ditto Rod Woodson at cornerback. Out of a 15 year career, bruschi had a few years where he was MAYBE a top 5 ILB, a few years where he was an above average player, and a few years where he was a marginal player. Bruschi should not be in the HOF, I don't care how many SB teams he's on.

If this is the case why did Lynn Swann get in. In his best year he was 7th in receiving yards and 7th in catches and that's in his best years, Also never had 1,000 yards receiving, averaged 37 catches, 607 yards and 5.7 TDs per year, and only had 8 100 yard games in 116 games. Torrance Small had more catches and yards :eek:. If Swann got in just for playing on those Steelers teams Bruschi deserves consideration if they win another Super Bowl or go undefeated again(crosses fingers) which would tie the record of 6 with Mike Lodish

If this is the case why did Lynn Swann get in. In his best year he was 7th in receiving yards and 7th in catches and that's in his best years, Also never had 1,000 yards receiving, averaged 37 catches, 607 yards and 5.7 TDs per year, and only had 8 100 yard games in 116 games. Torrance Small had more catches and yards :eek:. If Swann got in just for playing on those Steelers teams Bruschi deserves consideration if they win another Super Bowl or go undefeated again(crosses fingers) which would tie the record of 6 with Mike Lodish

Is Mike Lodish in the HOF?

It is getting harder and harder to get into the Hall.

Only Brady, Moss, Seau and Belichick will make it in out of the people who have played for this team recently.

How about Asante Samuel?

Brady, Vinatieri, and Belichick go in as Pats.

Moss goes in as a Pat/Viking.

Seau goes in as a Charger.

Seymour has a good chance; Harrison is borderline.
sp
Bruschi, Law, Dillon, McGinest, and Taylor are doubtful. At some point voters will end up saying "okay, that's enough players from those Patriot teams"; remember the backlash to all the Steelers that got in to the HoF from the 70's?

Depending on what happens in future years Kraft may have a chance too.

1. It's an ESPN article.
2. It's an ESPN article that gets rehashed every year.
3. Bruce Smith is the only truly great player on those teams, the rest, espicially Kelly are nothing but 4 time losers.
4. NFL Hall of Fame does not distinguish teams played for.
5. Many HOF's played on great teams but did not have great individual stats
for example Stanley Morgan had much better stats than either Lynn Swann or John Stallworth but the two Steelers are in the HOF. Brady, Belichick, Kraft, Moss, Seau, Law, Vinatieri, McGinest, Ted Washington, Harrison and Seymour as well as possibly others will be considered, with the first 5 getting in.

Last edited:
Unless the team wins it all this year (then you could add Moss and maybe Seau if he returns) it appears that only Brady will be a Canton inductee as a player on those teams and Belichick as well.

Patriot champs won't catch '90s Bills in Canton - NFL Nation - ESPN

Buffalo had a great mixed core of players but still couldn't win the big one while the Patriots had a grab bag of different players but won 3 so far....Shows you that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

P.S. Take note of the sort of disrespect card Kelly says about the Pats like we were lucky and they weren't...cry me a freaking river Jim
He wounds more wistful than anything. Can't blame him. Four straight trips to the superbowl without a win.

Is Mike Lodish in the HOF?

No and was he a contributing factor to any of his teams. Guys get in the Hall just for being on teams that were great and made contributions to the teams being great. Take Ray Nitschke (and in no way am I comparing Bruschi to Nitschke) for instance he only made 1 Pro Bowl while he played yet he is considered one of the best MLB ever why because he played with the 60 Packers same with Swann on the 70 Steelers take Troy Aikman from the Cowboys was he better than Randall Cunningham or was he on a better team

Cunningham
TD-INT 207-134
Yards 29,979
QB Rating 81.47
4× Pro Bowl selection (1988, 1989, 1990, 1998)
4× All-Pro selection (1989, 1990, 1992, 1998)
1990 NFL MVP
35 Rushing TDS

Aikman
TD-INT 165-141
Yards 32,942
QB Rating 81.6
6× Pro Bowl selection (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996)
1× All-Pro selection (1993)

Their win records

Aikman 94-71-0
Cunningham 82-52-1

It is getting harder and harder to get into the Hall.

Only Brady, Moss, Seau and Belichick will make it in out of the people who have played for this team recently.
You don't think Vinatieri will get in?

Hey guys do you think edelman gets into teh hall

I just wanted to say to the OP that Jim Kelly wasn't putting the Pats down. You guys around here have the biggest shoulder chips I've ever seen.

He was just saying the difference between winning and losing a SB can be one play, and how great players are shouldn't be based on that.

I'm sure the fact that the Pats won such close SB's and his team lost on a last second miss is something that bothers him

Those guys probably get that 0-4 stuff every single day of their lives.

Just saying there was nothing insulting in what Kelly said, intended or inferred.

I just wanted to say to the OP that Jim Kelly wasn't putting the Pats down. You guys around here have the biggest shoulder chips I've ever seen.

He was just saying the difference between winning and losing a SB can be one play, and how great players are shouldn't be based on that.

I'm sure the fact that the Pats won such close SB's and his team lost on a last second miss is something that bothers him

Those guys probably get that 0-4 stuff every single day of their lives.

Just saying there was nothing insulting in what Kelly said, intended or inferred.

i concur. he was not putting us down. rather he was saying if he had won one of them he could have won more because the team would have had that kind of confidence.

Check the source. ESPN. Hello! It just annoys the heck out of me that I even clicked on the article, which is all they want us to do.

It might be from there, but it's probably not too far off.

The Hall is (supposed to be) about individual acclaim and achievements. Apart from Brady, who else from those teams have shown true individual brilliance?

The Bills were in a different era. When they went to four Super Bowls in a row, it was either prior to free agency (the first few) or in the early years of it. That means they were able to keep their team together. No way would that have all those HOFers for the entire run.

The fact of the matter is no team will have the amount of HOFers in from a single 5 year or so stretch of time as the the early 90s Bills because the NFL is a much different league than then. Holding a team full of HOF players is impossible in today's NFL.

Personally, I don't really care. I would like to see some of the guys who played for this team recognized in the Hall, but I would rather see them win more Super Bowls even if it hurts their chances for getting to the Hall.

Look at any team in the league over the last five years. Can you name any team with more than 2-3 sure HOF candidates at any given period of time?

I think Seymour has a good chance eventually (not first ballot), especially with a few more solid years. He's extremely versatile, making the Pro Bowl as a defensive tackle and defensive end. BB gets a lot of credit for the innovative defenses he put together, but a large part of that starts with the versatility of the guys in the scheme.

I think Vinatieri makes it too, even if he may not deserve it. There really should be more than one kicker in the HOF. I know most fans don't think kickers matter much, but they often lead their teams in scoring. Vinatieri was one of the few to make the media even notice the position, so I think he'll get in.

And when Brady stepped in for Bledsoe, could any of us imagined him being a first-ballot HOFer? It's amazing to see how far he's come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back