PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One scout says...the Pats are slowest in the NFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did the NFL hold "field day" and line up all 32 teams for a sprint?

I bet we did better at the tug o war.

Anybody know our times on the "three legged race"?

Generally, it's great football is now 12 months. Articles like this makes one think 11 months might be better.

nope, although I can understand why you wouldn't get it.....let me spell it out for you.....

you could have the fastest WR's and DB's in the league and still have collectively one of the slowest teams in the league.

now that wasn't a difficult concept to get.....was it?? even for you???

Let me spell it out to you, you hapless joker.

You said 'generally speaking the Patriots are pretty slow' - using the term 'generally speaking' covers the whole team.

Then you try, and fail, to differentiate between 'overall' and 'general'.

Invest in a thesaurus and save us all the pain of reading your inane ramblings.

Here, i'll even throw in a specifically tailored example for you.

tanked_as_usual posts are generally thought provoking and well thought out, but overall they are nonsense.

See?

I hear echoes of what the scouts and GMs said about the team in 2001-2002.

The least talented team in football.

Lets bring back Bethel and solve the speed problem

By position:

QB -- slow
RB -- slow, except when Maroney is getting the bulk of the carries
OL -- fast
WR -- 2 of the 3 best receivers on the team last season were Welker and Edelman. Amazing quickness, but not so much with the speed
DL -- a 3-4 DL is automatically slow. And absent Seymour, Wilfork is the only one fast for his 3-4 position.
LB -- Depends a lot on who's getting the snaps. That few is a bit obsolete.
S -- Usually it's Meriweather and a slow guy. Not fast as a group
CB -- Not fast

Yeah, it's a slow group. As noted above, the Pats go for quickness over speed.

On defense, their pretty slow. And what I mean by slow are their reaction times. For example, Mayo is timed pretty fast for an ILB but he's pretty slow at play recognition. Merrill Hodge had a nice video of how the Pats defense as a whole reacts late to plays and he singled out Mayo because he's supposed to be the impact player. Whether it was because of his injury or not, Hodge showed clips of how Mayo freezes and ends up getting taken out by guards. Granted, the defense had their moments, but as a whole, they had poor recognition skills and took poor angles, thus making them look slow.

The Pats 2003 defense probably would've been one of the slowest in the league in terms of 40 times but their play recognition skills were the best in the league. Teams like Pittsburgh and Philly aren't really that fast (according to their 40 times) but the scheme and their reaction times make them look a lot faster than they really are. Another key factor is their initial burst and cutting ability. Are you ever going to see a pass rusher run 40 yards for a QB?

Last edited:
It's our style of defense, the passive read and react. Just sit there, don't blitz or anything, no pressure on the QB, and hope they don't complete the 5-8 yard outs.

The players wait to see what's going on before they do anything which makes them LOOK slow. The linemen hold their positions and don't penetrate.

Eat my dust...

display_image.jpg

The pats are the slowest in the leauge? Dah its been that way for ten years,where has this guy been Timbuktu?

Last edited:
This is the stupidest thread i've seen in a while. The Pats are slow because one scout says so? Five pages on this?

Man, the off-season sucks.

some of it has to do with the pats haveing a lot of vets on the team every year.

and most of it has to do with the pats takeing football players over track stars.

ABOUT Move the Sticks:

Move the Sticks is operated by former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah. He has six years of NFL scouting experience.

Key word "FORMER" as in fired scout. Not only that he wasn't even good enough to stay with the Cleveland Browns. Any idiot can start a website and then any moron can quote and link.

I believe that this is all a conspiracy to promote an attack on the slowest player in the NFL - Tom Brady. If you remove Tom from the Pats 40 times we vault from last to first.

He mentioned the Chiefs and Browns who run similar defenses to the Patriots as among the slowest teams in the league, this is not a surprise to me at all. The defensive scheme is going to make for a slower than average team. The Patriots put 3 big DL on the field, and their 2 ends are usually no faster (and often times slower) than the 3 technique of a 4-3 team. So, the Pats give up a lot of speed on the Dline for strength/power. At linebacker, the much discussed Belichick measurables at OLB are very similar to measurable of 4-3 DE's. Teams like Pittsburgh that have a more attacking style 3-4 play much smaller guys on average than the Pats do at this position. Finally, at ILB, the Pats usually will have a player at one of the two spots (usually SILB) that would be too slow to play in a 4-3. That is certainly not currently the case with Mayo/Guyton starting on the inside. On offense, the Patriots have one guy with elite speed in Moss and one guy with very good speed in Maroney. Watson would have fit in to the very good speed category last year as well, but is now gone.

I bet the Patriots were slower in 2007 than they were in 2009, but the leads the offense got allowed the defense to play faster. Think about it: Bruschi, Harrison,Vrabel, and Sanders would all be slower than the guys manning those positions in 2009.

Cliff Notes version of the story (IMHO): Pats will never be one of the faster teams in the league as long as they run their current defensive scheme and display a preference (or at least a willingness) to play veteran players.

Yep, the Pats are slow, their dynasty is over, they're no longer relevant, and most Pats fans should ebay the Brady jerseys and invest in Brees now.

For being slow we are damn good at it so if we aren't fast enough I heard the Raiders are welcoming all the fans they can get! :D

Last edited:
I guess we should run out and get some fast guys like CJ and Bethel so that he will say that we are a fast team then.........

Bah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes