PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Factor Heading Into the Titans Match-up...?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I wrote this in a post after the game but wanted to know if anyone else felt similar about it:

"With the Titans up next, the good news is that, unlike former Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Mac Jones has no history with Mike Vrabel. Brady seemed to get a little too inside his head in those match-ups, which should hopefully give Jones an advantage since Tennessee is just another opponent on the schedule for the rookie QB."

I always felt like Brady played a little tight in those games, whereas Jones doesn't know him, so I sort of wonder if things might go a little differently this time around. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I don't think it is necessary an advantage for us and the reason I say that due to the fact that people like Vrable, the team in Houston know our tendencies very well. Vrablel played offense and by all account the offense has not changed that much.
Did you see how Dean Pees was dialing up effective Safety blitzes against us?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
I don't think it is necessary an advantage for us and the reason I say that due to the fact that people like Vrable, the team in Houston know our tendencies very well. Vrable played offense and by all account the offense has not changed that much.

???????? :oops::oops::oops:

I wrote this in a post after the game but wanted to know if anyone else felt similar about it:

"With the Titans up next, the good news is that, unlike former Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Mac Jones has no history with Mike Vrabel. Brady seemed to get a little too inside his head in those match-ups, which should hopefully give Jones an advantage since Tennessee is just another opponent on the schedule for the rookie QB."

I always felt like Brady played a little tight in those games, whereas Jones doesn't know him, so I sort of wonder if things might go a little differently this time around. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I usually agree with you. This take is a bit weak. Vrabel was inside Brady's head? Really? Maybe the Pats were not that strong? A team can only overcome a disadvantage against superior athletes on the other side of the ball to a certain point. This year Mac is not as good as Brady (obviously), but the group around him, offense and defense, is so much more athletic than 2019ish.

Titans D looking pretty strong so far against QBs who never played with Vrabel.

I usually agree with you. This take is a bit weak. Vrabel was inside Brady's head? Really? Maybe the Pats were not that strong? A team can only overcome a disadvantage against superior athletes on the other side of the ball to a certain point. This year Mac is not as good as Brady (obviously), but the group around him, offense and defense, is so much more athletic than 2019ish.
A weak take? I guess, but all I'm saying is that seemed to be the guy who appeared to have the edge and Brady couldn't overcome it. They obviously beat him in that playoff game but also beat him pretty badly in 2018 too, blew them out 34-10 and Henry only rushed for 58-yards. Tennessee also held Brady to just a 50% completion percentage. That's kind of unusual for a guy who, fortunately, got the last laugh and went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

Last edited:
Titans D looking pretty strong so far against QBs who never played with Vrabel.
I don't disagree. I was just thinking that Brady was 0-2 against him and whether or not the Titans being just another team for Jones might be the difference this time around.

It certainly could have been a factor. But the Titans have a solid team all around. I think the possible Brady mental disadvantage of which you mentioned will be substituted with a rookie QB still learning the pro game, so I don’t see this as a net gain.

LOL, and keep in mind, I wasn't looking to be right. It's essentially just something I wondered considering how good Tennessee is and how much of a problem they've been for New England since they took over. And I'm good with it being a "weak take" (isn't the first, definitely won't be the last), I was essentially just thinking out loud since Jones is obviously a key difference in this match-up compared to the previous games.

Don't forget, I'm a big defender of Brady's legacy and I was glad he ran the table and won it all in Tampa last year. It just always irked me that Vrabel beat him in both games, especially - for obvious reasons - in that final playoff game. I just felt like Brady might have gotten in his own head over it because he was a better player than he played like in both of those match-ups. Having that pick-six being his final pass as a Patriot still bothers me...definitely would have preferred he went out a little better than that.

A weak take? I guess, but all I'm saying is that seemed to be the guy who appeared to have the edge and Brady couldn't overcome it. They obviously beat him in that playoff game but also beat him pretty badly in 2018 too, blew them out 34-10 and Henry only rushed for 58-yards and Tennessee held Brady to a 50% completion percentage. That's kind of unusual for a guy who, fortunately, got the last laugh and went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

Weak because it is not all on Brady. I am not a Brady apologist, but a regular season loss in 2018 and a playoff loss in 2019 is not on Brady. The Patriots' talent was declining proven by the Pats bottoming out in 2020 at which point only $250M combined with a good 2020 and 2021 draft were able to restart the franchise. Amazing what BB and Brady did with the limited talent in 2018 - very lucky to get Goff in the Super Bowl. I do not think Vrabel is anything amazing - it always helps to coach a team with superior talent. Vrabel might be great, we will see, but I doubt it. In 3 years he has won 1 playoff game, Rex Ryan did more and I do not think Rex is great. Vrabel inside Brady's head? Like voodoo stuff? Hocus Pocus? Witchcraft? "Weak" is fair.

Weak because it is not all on Brady. I am not a Brady apologist, but a regular season loss in 2018 and a playoff loss in 2019 is not on Brady. The Patriots' talent was declining proven by the Pats bottoming out in 2020 at which point only $250M combined with a good 2020 and 2021 draft were able to restart the franchise. Amazing what BB and Brady did with the limited talent in 2018 - very lucky to get Goff in the Super Bowl. I do not think Vrabel is anything amazing - it always helps to coach a team with superior talent. Vrabel might be great, we will see, but I doubt it. In 3 years he has won 1 playoff game, Rex Ryan did more and I do not think Rex is great. Vrabel inside Brady's head? Like voodoo stuff? Hocus Pocus? Witchcraft? "Weak" is fair.
Again, I don't disagree with you. However, I didn't mean it in that sense. As I said, I meant that "I just felt like Brady might have gotten in his own head over it because he was a better player than he played like in both of those match-ups." I sort of felt the same way in the Week 4 match-up against Belichick, which Tampa was fortunate to win. Brady was 22-of-43 (51% - but thankfully he didn't turn it over) - I think he was worried about making mistakes instead of just playing the way he normally does.

The Titans not relying on a running back to win them a game probably helps them against the Pats.

Again, I don't disagree with you. However, I didn't mean it in that sense. As I said, I meant that "I just felt like Brady might have gotten in his own head over it because he was a better player than he played like in both of those match-ups." I sort of felt the same way in the Week 4 match-up against Belichick, which Tampa was fortunate to win. Brady was 22-of-43 (51% - but thankfully he didn't turn it over) - I think he was worried about making mistakes instead of just playing the way he normally does.

I think takes where "Brady (or another) gets in his own head" are purely speculative. There are enough non-speculative takes to discuss that I am not sure why a thread like this one is started.

Said another way, I note that this is not a Content thread, and rightly so. ;) I prefer threads with Content.

• Winner
I think takes where "Brady (or another) gets in his own head" are purely speculative. There are enough non-speculative takes to discuss that I am not sure why a thread like this one is started.

Said another way, I note that this is not a Content thread, and rightly so. ;) I prefer threads with Content.
100% agree with you - I'm absolutely speculating. And yes, I don't blame you either - I'd prefer to read threads by @patfanken any day over anything of mine :D

Another way to look at it would be this. If given the choice between Mac or Brady in that 2019 playoff game, who would you believe gives you the better chance to win? Pretty sure any sane person would agree Brady. That answers your question right there on whether or not being in Brady’s head gives and advantage or not.

None of that matters anymore. That was nearly 2 years ago. This matchup is going to be 2 completely different teams, just the same colors.

I don't think it is necessary an advantage for us and the reason I say that due to the fact that people like Vrable, the team in Houston know our tendencies very well. Vrable played offense and by all account the offense has not changed that much.
That said, the four-day turnaround between games hinders one of the Patriots' main advantages—the ability to customize game plans. As someone said on the radio, the TNF games almost force teams to play vanilla.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back