PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh, and the patriots are the cheaters right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, it just wouldn't be in Belichick's interest to admit anything. The punishment speaks for itself, and not admitting that coaches flippantly ignore rules isn't what the NFL wants either. Belichick said the thing that would make this go away the quickest: absolutely nothing, and that was the right thing for the Patriots.

Well I think he's just taking the Clinton approach. I didnt have sexual relations with that woman. I didnt inhale. Polls reported that people didnt really care but it made them mad that he didnt tell the truth. Of course its not in his best interest to be a man and tell the truth, but all the NE fans are backing the liar like hes a victim. IMO if he admitted it then it would open up a can of worms into the validity of past victories. Thats most likely the reasoning behind the "whoops I didnt know" defence...again IMO.

That's a very good example, actually. Now why don't the people, through their elected representitives, pass a law allowing, say, a 5 year prison term for speeding? Because they don't feel it's an appropriate punishment. But the owners did give the commissioner that kind of authority - they could have withheld it by specifying what the maximum punishment for each infraction should be, but they left it to his discresion. I have no reason to believe they're regretting that decision.

Our judgement of fairness or lack thereof doesn't substitute the judgement of the people who actually own the NFL and pay the commissioner's salary.

Actually, we here in Virginia have a bizarre new system of "civil fees" which amplify a ticket worth tens or hundreds of dollars, with a punitive fee worth thousands.

By this law, going 20 or more miles per hour over the speed limit - reckless driving - can land you with an additional "fee" of $3,000.

I am against this law, not because I habitually drink and drive, speed, or do any of the other things the law forbids, but specifically because of this law's disproportionality.

It's also been documented that the law's author is a partner in a law firm which makes its living from, you guessed it, fighting heavy tickets in court.

However, the best legal avenue to attack the law, is that it only applies to Virginia residents, since out-of-state enforcement is deemed unenforceable.

So that's how they're fighting it.

In the mean time, when the road is absolutely clear and straight, without an upcoming turn in five miles, and there is no one out there except me, my wife, and "radar" (who is constantly checking speed, as the signs advise me,) you can bet the speedometer is now at exactly 9 miles over the posted limit, tops. (After all, you get a ticket at 65 in a 55 zone... why even chance that?)

Would I be that vigilant, were it not for the $3,000 add-on? Don't think so. So it does serve its purpose. But I don't think the fine is fair -- if that's what the ticket is worth, make the ticket $3,000.

But whose fault is it if I get the ticket/fee?

I'll say one more thing -- what about the injury report situation?

I personally have noticed that our team has come out with a ridiculously alarmist injury report once again, in a year when the League is trying its damnedest to make that harder to do.

Am I the only one that sees more possible damage coming from this? Or are we really that banged up?

Or, as is most likely the case, are we meticulously following the letter of the law regarding practices missed, etc., but interpreting ourselves into more trouble?

This sort of bugs me, at the moment, though I do have something of a lackey mentality on "In Belichick we trust" questions. I do believe that if it's putting the team at further risk, he's not going to do it.

It will, however, piss me off if we end up getting plinked for the injury report too. It seems predictable, if not inevitable. The League is trying to make these more accurate; at first glance, ours looks more murky than ever.

Anybody else getting this sense?

And what if we do get busted on this issue? Am I expected to march in lockstep with other outraged fans, and scream my hatred of Goodell? Or should I simply state that the penalty could be avoided, simply by being mindful of what is going to piss off the league?

Just remember, if we get pinged on this one, you read it here first.

PFnV

Actually, we here in Virginia have a bizarre new system of "civil fees" which amplify a ticket worth tens or hundreds of dollars, with a punitive fee worth thousands.
By this law, going 20 or more miles per hour over the speed limit - reckless driving - can land you with an additional "fee" of $3,000.
I am against this law, not because I habitually drink and drive, speed, or do any of the other things the law forbids, but specifically because of this law's disproportionality.
It's also been documented that the law's author is a partner in a law firm which makes its living from, you guessed it, fighting heavy tickets in court.
However, the best legal avenue to attack the law, is that it only applies to Virginia residents, since out-of-state enforcement is deemed unenforceable.
So that's how they're fighting it.

In the mean time, when the road is absolutely clear and straight, without an upcoming turn in five miles, and there is no one out there except me, my wife, and "radar" (who is constantly checking speed, as the signs advise me,) you can bet the speedometer is now at exactly 9 miles over the posted limit, tops. (After all, you get a ticket at 65 in a 55 zone... why even chance that?)

Would I be that vigilant, were it not for the $3,000 add-on? Don't think so. So it does serve its purpose. But I don't think the fine is fair -- if that's what the ticket is worth, make the ticket $3,000.

But whose fault is it if I get the ticket/fee?

I'll say one more thing -- what about the injury report situation?
I personally have noticed that our team has come out with a ridiculously alarmist injury report once again, in a year when the League is trying its damnedest to make that harder to do.

Am I the only one that sees more possible damage coming from this? Or are we really that banged up?
Or, as is most likely the case, are we meticulously following the letter of the law regarding practices missed, etc., but interpreting ourselves into more trouble?
This sort of bugs me, at the moment, though I do have something of a lackey mentality on "In Belichick we trust" questions. I do believe that if it's putting the team at further risk, he's not going to do it.

It will, however, piss me off if we end up getting plinked for the injury report too. It seems predictable, if not inevitable. The League is trying to make these more accurate; at first glance, ours looks more murky than ever.
Anybody else getting this sense?

And what if we do get busted on this issue? Am I expected to march in lockstep with other outraged fans, and scream my hatred of Goodell? Or should I simply state that the penalty could be avoided, simply by being mindful of what is going to piss off the league?

Just remember, if we get pinged on this one, you read it here first.
PFnV
I really doubt the Pats will get pinged on the injury report..
listing injuries is in itself may be close to a HIPAA problem...disclosing all in thefirst place..but with injuries being non-concrete, I think Goodell should keep his nose out of that...unless he wishes to add league doctors to report on all teams..and THAT would be pretty dumb.
Is it all done just to NOT piss off theCommish? If that is teh way he rules..he should gone..just that simple. If he does NOT follow up in a few areas of being fair, I believe he will be showing what a fraud he really is....so lets get that straight.
As far as that VA law..I have heard about it...and I also heard it was ONLY for in state residents..so that those visiting would NOT be subject to those fines. I had wondered about that..and heard that they did that to stop many from traveling there..it's all about the money..

I really doubt the Pats will get pinged on the injury report..
listing injuries is in itself may be close to a HIPAA problem...disclosing all in thefirst place..but with injuries being non-concrete, I think Goodell should keep his nose out of that...unless he wishes to add league doctors to report on all teams..and THAT would be pretty dumb.
Is it all done just to NOT piss off theCommish? If that is teh way he rules..he should gone..just that simple. If he does NOT follow up in a few areas of being fair, I believe he will be showing what a fraud he really is....so lets get that straight.
As far as that VA law..I have heard about it...and I also heard it was ONLY for in state residents..so that those visiting would NOT be subject to those fines. I had wondered about that..and heard that they did that to stop many from traveling there..it's all about the money..

Decent points, as to how strict you believe the commish should be, that is, how much the owners should tolerate their own creation. Perhaps one day the owners will say "we didn't mean that strict!" But clearly, Goodell isn't working in a vacuum. The owners want this, to one extent or another. We shall see.

As for the VA law, it does not affect out of state drivers, and so people opposing it are challenging it on constitutional grounds. The beauty is, if you levy those fines against out-of-state drivers, I'm pretty sure you'll run into interstate commerce clause technicalities.

My hope is that these fees are not long for this earth.

PFnV

Decent points, as to how strict you believe the commish should be, that is, how much the owners should tolerate their own creation. Perhaps one day the owners will say "we didn't mean that strict!" But clearly, Goodell isn't working in a vacuum. The owners want this, to one extent or another. We shall see.

As for the VA law, it does not affect out of state drivers, and so people opposing it are challenging it on constitutional grounds. The beauty is, if you levy those fines against out-of-state drivers, I'm pretty sure you'll run into interstate commerce clause technicalities.

My hope is that these fees are not long for this earth.

PFnV
IIs't that outright discrimination? I think that is quite plain...maybe if they did it on NON Federal roads or?? I found that interesting though..
As far as the owners and a commish run wild, you are correct, it's NOT in a vacuum...and even though I find the penalty he imposed OUT OF LINE..it MAY make other teams...all teams get in line with ANY memo that Goodell sends out...It is getting ridiculous when he sends out memos on cheerleaders..and I have to wonder IF and WHEN another team is in some way implicated in taking a competitive advantage//one..if the Commish will come down as strong (if he doesn't, it will be clear how unfair he is..) and 2--if cheering and pushing him to pound the Patriots might not shift if it's their own team that is feeling his wrath....
NO team is immune given all the rules and the advantages teams seek...this 15 second rule..IF that is broken, it is FAR worse...and I woudl expect Goodell to be fair about it. My feeling is that more will ne known if he is really wishing to clean things up or is a CC puppet.

Wht's the deal on the 15-second thing?

they could have withheld it by specifying what the maximum punishment for each infraction should be, but they left it to his discretion.

The right to rule certainly doesn't make one infallible or make every ruling just. Must I list all the dictators that have either been elected or appointed to office? Now, I'm not about to compare Goodell to Stalin or anything and yes, since there was no pre-determined punishment, Goodell had the power to levy down whatever punishment he wanted. But that doesn't make the punishment just.

LMAO!!!!

Okay, Rog, settle.

Hey, it's in his purview, that's all I'm saying.

PFnV

The right to rule certainly doesn't make one infallible or make every ruling just. Must I list all the dictators that have either been elected or appointed to office? Now, I'm not about to compare Goodell to Stalin or anything and yes, since there was no pre-determined punishment, Goodell had the power to levy down whatever punishment he wanted. But that doesn't make the punishment just.
You're right, and the fans of 31 other teams feel the punishment was too light. But I guess us Patriots fans are the only ones unbiased enough to have a valid opinion, eh?

You're right, and the fans of 31 other teams feel the punishment was too light. But I guess us Patriots fans are the only ones unbiased enough to have a valid opinion, eh?

:blahblah: :blahblah: :bricks:

Not all fans of all teams besides the Patriots feel the punishment was too light. Not all 'experts' feel it was too light. This argument is just a straw man.

Last edited:

Book suggestion for you: The Crucible.

Book suggestion for you: The Crucible.
Yeah, the Pats are Jesus. Anyway, there's nothing objective to measure the punishment against, someone had to use their discresion and that means at least some people are going to disagree with it. I know your opinion and you know mine, I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News