PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh, and the patriots are the cheaters right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be such a lackey. Think for yourself. Considering there was no precedence for the punishment the Pats were given, what do YOU think was an appropriate fine? Or do you just always go along with what the powers that be hand down?

It raises the question, is it really fair to have a rule without a pre-determined penalty? Every rule, in a sense, has the ability to be broken if the breaker understands the consequences. I can speed if I'm willing to pay a fine. I can sell drugs if I'm willing to go to jail, etc. The Patriots were breaking a rule that they had NO IDEA the punishment would be, and no one in their right mind would ever think the punishment would be a first rounder, particularly in Belichick's mind, in which he was not breaking a rule, but bending one.

Goodell pulled the 1st round pick-penalty straight out of his rear. You seriously seem to have no interest in even putting your own judgment or opinion onto whether the penalty was fair. That makes me honestly fear for your general outlook on life.
Come now, just because someone disagrees with your judgement and agrees with someone else's, doesn't mean they haven't thought about it.

Obviously Goodell's tougher than Tags was. And the owners, who ultimately set league rules, are comfortable giving the commissioner leeway to decide appropriate punishment. You may think it was too harsh, too lenient, or just right, but there's no evidence of bias. We'll have to wait and see how he deals with with similar issues, issues that have a similar level of proof. I would say in the Patriots case there aggravating circumstances considering a warning had been sent out in the past year precicely about this behavior.

I believe the Patriots got the same punishment the Colts would have gotten, and that's "fair enough" for me.

Last edited:
Mangini is a stoolpigeon .
What precipitated this hatred between Bill & The Stoolie ?
I'm sure Mangini at this point is talking to himself alot .
I can see him now in his rocking chair repeating " I'm the boss ... I'm the boss "

That fat penguin is a no good snitch!

Come now, just because someone disagrees with your judgement and agrees with someone else's, doesn't mean they haven't thought about it.

He said it makes him want to "puke". I'd say it sounds like he's adverse to thinking critically about the situation...

I believe the Patriots got the same punishment the Colts would have gotten, and that's "fair enough" for me.

I strongly disagree. A major factor in Goodell's decision was public pressure - if it had been the Colts who had been caught, there would've been much, much less outrage and the actions would have been justified by the national media as Belichick's actions have by the fans here. As a result, Goodell would not have had to lay down the law as he did.

The way I see it, the only people not caught up in the completely inane status quo, the witch hunt against BB, are the people in New England who have actually thought through the events more than on superficial terms such as "cheaters", "rules", etc.

I am so tired of this I want to puke.

You may have noticed that it was an in-game incident, in which evidence was available and obtained, which Goodell fined the Pats for, and took away our first round pick for.

You may have noticed that the majority of fan sites elsewhere, and the majority of fans of other teams and media douchebags, all say that the 500K/250K/1st rounder punishment has been too lenient.

Well which is it: Do we all know football (and ethics) so much better than the rest of the country, or are we at least as "pro-Patriots" as everybody else is "anti-patriots"?

I do know this:

A media report of a coach speaking on condition of anonymity is not a comparable evidentiary compilation, to a tape and a camera confiscated mid-game.

Get over it.

PFnV

Well I do know this:

The punishment outstripped the actual offense, which we all saw thanks to Fox and which Goodell stated he believed was not used for gaining in game advantage. It was a freakin procedural rules infraction, only it was punished based on the hystrionics of mediots and jealous coaches and players former and present not to mention a few fans who have likely broken more than a few procedural rules of their own. Which histrionics included all manner of anonymous or unsubstantiated allegations for which at least one media whacko is still looking for further retribution.

If this topic makes you want to puke, why don't you just stay away from it.

He said it makes him want to "puke". I'd say it sounds like he's adverse to thinking critically about the situation...
Maybe critical thinking's precicely what upsets his stomach? Or maybe it's the sight of fellow Patriots fans losing any shred of objectivity because they can't accept their team did something bad, at least that's what makes me sad. You know how on TV the murder defendant's mother always says "my son's innocent, he would have never done that". Well, they're not all innocent.

There was a witch-hunt by the media, there's no question of that. But don't let that fool you into thinking that there wasn't, in fact, a serious infraction - there was.

As an aside, and this isn't directed at you, the "no in game advantage" argument is pure BS. They sure did get an in-game advantage, just not "in-the-same-game". They didn't tape those signals so they'd know what to do if they ran into the New York Jets at the mall. This isn't a mortal sin, but it's a violation of the rules, and in the commissioner's opinion a serious one. The fans are questioning his objectivity? A carpenter once said something about a speck in your brother's eye.

Last edited:
Well I do know this:

The punishment outstripped the actual offense, which we all saw thanks to Fox and which Goodell stated he believed was not used for gaining in game advantage. It was a freakin procedural rules infraction, only it was punished based on the hystrionics of mediots and jealous coaches and players former and present not to mention a few fans who have likely broken more than a few procedural rules of their own. Which histrionics included all manner of anonymous or unsubstantiated allegations for which at least one media whacko is still looking for further retribution.

If this topic makes you want to puke, why don't you just stay away from it.

Okay, Mo, I take it back. The topic is fun. The attitudes on the other side are just this side of incomprehensible to me; for others here: it's precisely the inability of my fellow Pats fans to remove their own bias when discussing this which nauseates me.

I have no interest in discussing who is the "herd" (fellow Pats fans, or the national herd/media,) and who is the "critical thinker," unless said discussion goes beyond namecalling to a viewpoint remotely resembling one based in objective reality. There is such a thing, after all.

Do this board's denizens believe that the same evidentiary standard is attained by quoting a media report from an un-named coach, as is attained via in-game confiscation of tape and camera?

I suppose I am with the "herd" on this one. The "herd" seems to believe being caught red-handed is more compelling than hearsay and rumor.

The "herd" says we got off too easy. The "mediots" say we got off too easy. Only Pats fans say they threw the book at us.

The difference seems to be that Pats fans still do not believe we cheated. They want to draw artificial lines and split hairs. Obviously, weaker opponents want asterisks -- the Colts, for example, will have nothing to say after their one-and-done-not-a-run, other than "we did it fair and square, hey diddley ho, neighbor!" The Bolts had nothing to say except "if they ain't cheatin, they ain't tryin'..." until they came to Foxborough. The Steelers and Eagles and Panthers are all lining up for their rings for losing.

That crap is the only thing uglier than our own local aversion to standing up, admitting it happened, we did it, and we need to move on.

How does the topic come up? Usually just one more clown attempting to either make the topic go away via tortured analogy, or attempting to stretch the camera thing into the "reason" for the Patriots' supremacy.

I do notice that in the last 2 weeks, success on the field has effectively stifled the "they only win by cheating" bullcrap. That is because it supplies evidence to the contrary of the theory that during the last 6 years, the edge in games came from this camera thing.

("It was like they were in our huddle"....) Um, news flash, it still is. Uh-ohhhh.

Okay, so those ***clowns are fading away. But what do we do in Patsland? Just keep on trying to make something ELSE the equivalent of the Pats/Goodell "conviction". Just keep on hating Goodell. Meanwhile, elsewhere they think Goodell cut a sweatheart deal with Kraft/BB.

Am I the only one that sees how assinine this is? Basically Goodell, faced with a lot of hard evidence, after sending around a memo, acted in defense of his own office in this instance. He probably DOES view the infraction as major, but he ALSO knows he just got done addressing this exact behavior.

It's like if I have 20 employees, and I say (irrationally,) "Everybody must break for lunch at 12:00 on the dot, no exceptions." I send a memo to all 20 reminding them of their lunch break time.

One guy decides to work through lunch the next day, then break at 12:30 the day after that and get back to work at 12:45. Then the next day I walk right by him at 1, as he is walking out the door, proclaiming "I'M GOING TO LUNCH GUYS, I DON'T CARE WHAT THE BOSS SAYS!"

It is immaterial that he isn't "bad" or "stealing," because he takes less company time. He is visibly and publicly flouting my directive.

Even though it's a STUPID policy, blind to personal differences; and even though he at least is on the clock more than other guys (and we're going to just assume is motivated and productive,) and even though he will just plain skip lunch to work, and even though let's say there are "rumors" of some people that break from 12-1, even though it's supposed to be a half hour break -- even so, this guy is flouting his opposition to my authority.

All the rumored "other" bad break behaviour is empowered if he is allowed to do so.

WTF do you expect to happen in such a scenario?

Get over the dire talk of how the punishment was too strong, that's my advice. Get over the bullcrap about the league "stealing" our first round pick. They docked it, for an offense they cited, and for which our brass took full responsibility. The facts are not in dispute. We broke the rules. We have accepted the consequences of losing a 1st rounder.

Nobody but the fans are arguing this outcome. Nobody on the team talks about a "stolen" draft pick. They are out to prove on the field, every week, that their winning was about better coaching, play, and dedication than you find elsewhere.

The team's not talking about the taping, because it happened. They're not talking much at all... but the attitude is, "you thought we were winning games because of that camera thing? You gotta be kiddin' me. THIS is why we win games..."

And about this "Stolen" pick terminology? WE COMMITTED A PUNISHIBLE INFRACTION. THE LEAGUE PUNISHED US. The punishment was not outside the limits set on the commissioner's discretion, he made sure of that. So the punishment itself is a legal way to address an UNCONTESTED INFRACTION. THERE IS NO "STOLEN" DRAFT PICK... we were penalized a draft pick.

Critical thinking indeed. Do the facts have any bearing on the homer perspective? It seems easily as impervious to factual comment as the perspective of "the media" and fans elsewhere.

It might be instructive for Pats fans to understand that "the herd" does not just apply to large groups who disagree with you. It applies to large groups that agree with you as well.

PFnV

And about this "Stolen" pick terminology? WE COMMITTED A PUNISHIBLE INFRACTION. THE LEAGUE PUNISHED US. The punishment was not outside the limits set on the commissioner's discretion, he made sure of that. So the punishment itself is a legal way to address an UNCONTESTED INFRACTION. THERE IS NO "STOLEN" DRAFT PICK... we were penalized a draft pick.

WAS THE PUNISHMENT FAIR? ************, if you weren't too busy getting off on the idea that you're somehow more objective than us "homers", maybe you could think for one f**king second on whether or not you think a punishment of a FIRST ROUND PICK was fair for a transgression that the commish himself had NO IMPACT ON THE GAME.

You keep harping on the fact that it was an "in-game" violation. You know what else is an "in-game" violation? Holding. Pass interference. Late hits on the quarterback. And you know how these are penalized? With yardage. The Patriots simply broke another rule. Now, obviously, yardage isn't steep enough a price...so what is? Money. Sure? Suspensions? Maybe, even then you're taking it too far...Draft picks...not really, maybe if it's 2nd day picks, even then it seems to have very little logic.

But to take a first rounder is beyond absurd. Imagine if Goodell said he was going to make the Pats choose between Maroney, Watson and Mankins and release one of them. Because that's essentially what he did.

If this had been another team, there's no way a first round pick gets involved. Absolutely no way. He had the luxury of putting such a huge penalty on the Pats because we have gotten so good and because we had an extra first round pick. The penalty of the first rounder affects the Pats for FIVE TO TEN YEARS for something that, when we think critically about, is a relatively trivial transgression.

Face the facts - the Pats were given a heavier penalty because of who they were.

I'll take it a step further and say Goodell was sending us a message. We know how much they value parity and I'm sure Goodell was not happy to see us sign AD for less than market value, trade a fourth rounder for one of the best receivers ever, sign Stallworth for less than he could get, etc., etc. He saw that the Pats were getting players to come here for less because players want to play here - that goes against the NFL's idea of parity.

That's what the first rounder is about - the Pats were penalized FAR more than any other team would have been for these reasons 1) they can afford the punishment more than other teams 2) they've been a threat to parity and of course, 3) because the witch hunt and public pressure forced Goodell to do so.

Last edited:
Agreed, the punishment was fair only if seen in light of the Patriots actions being an affront to the NFL and the Commisioner (blatantly violating the rule immediately after being told in a memo not to). From that perspective, I don't have a problem with the penalty.

As a response to what the Patriots could actually have gained via their illegal stealing of signals (as opposed to what they could have gained through legal stealing of signals), it was a ridiculously harsh penalty since any advantage would be quite minimal.

I'm still confused by the many in the media who jumped all over this penalty as too light; many of them making a huge deal of the supposed advantage the Patriots were getting by the videotaping. I hope that as they look back at this issue in the coming years, they'll recognize the foolishness of their snap to judgment. I'm not convinced that they'll get it even then, however.

WAS THE PUNISHMENT FAIR?
Is 15 yards a fair punishment for a personal foul? Is $50 a fair punishment for not paying the parking meter? I don't know, but that's what the rules say it is. In the case of a video infraction the commissioner has certain leeway defined by the league's constitution, and as long as he stays within those boundries, the punishment is assumed to be fair. Otherwise, if the punishment is consistent, and within the league's bylaws, it's HIS DISCRETION.

Novel removed for sake of server space
PFnV

Your holier-than-thou non-homer shtick is tiresome.

Stick your legitimate points:

1) We got caught red-handed and these other instances cited cannot be proven

2) The penalty given, while unprecedented, is within the legitimate range

All the rest of that was arrogant finger pointing and fluff.

I think the other side has some legit points too:

1) Public outcry (fueled by envy) and media sensationalism (fueled by money) was a driving factor in the level of punishment

2) Our level of success over the years on the field, in FA, and in accumulating extra draft picks influenced Goodall to take a 1st round pick away rather than a lower round pick. Had we been the Dolphins, we probably would have lost a much lower pick.

Regardless, I'm in agreement with anyone who would just like to move on.

Otherwise, if the punishment is consistent, and within the league's bylaws, it's HIS DISCRETION.

Right, but who says his discretion is right? That's what I'm asking PatsinVA to answer. I think Goodell's discretion, his judgement, was way off base. I'm not going to blindly accept the Commish's rule simply because he has the authority to rule as he wishes.

Last edited:
Right, but who says his discretion is right? That's what I'm asking PatsinVA to answer. I think Goodell's discretion, his judgement, was way off base. I'm not going to blindly accept the Commish's rule simply because he has the authority to rule as he wishes.
Right, you're questioning the commissioner's motives, and I'm questioning yours. Do I feel that the person who was elected by the entire ownership to be the steward of the game is capable of more objectivity than fans, ones who support one team to the point of being regulars of that team's fan site? Yes. Do I feel that you'd be defending the Colts if they were in our shoes? Not a snowball's chance in hell. Credibility is the issue here; not Goodell's - yours.

Do I feel that the person who was elected by the entire ownership to be the steward of the game is capable of more objectivity than fans, ones who support one team to the point of being regulars of that team's fan site? Yes.

Right, because all elected officials are incapable of making wrong decisions and we should never question them...:rolleyes:

Right, because all elected officials are incapable of making wrong decisions and we should never question them...:rolleyes:
Sure, question them, but expect that others are going to question you, since you have even more apparant bias than the person you're questioning.

It's like Democrats going after Republicans and Republicans going after Democrats, you know they're both going to jump at each other any chance they get, so it's tough to take them seriously when they speak about their "outrage at what the other party has done".

That fat penguin is a no good snitch!
Yes "The Penquin" is a rat mother f@#king snitch. I don't know what he OR BB were trying to accomplish. I don't think BB was dumb enough not to think he was not going to get caught.
That he never thought the penalty would be this steep if he did (get caught)
The info garnered was worth the price,I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure BB had a reason for being so blatantly obvious.

I'm sure that The snitch isn't held in high regard by the rest of the coach's who also cheat,and don't want the commish pokeing his nose into things.From what I've read most teams "bend the rules" to get an edge,and have done so for as long as the game has been played. The leauge office new about this for along time and said nothing.

And finally the next jests pats game/score Pats 76 Jests 10

No handshake just BB zapping the snitch with a tasser at mid-field.

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see if the media picks up on the interesting connection between Wade Wilson and Rex Grossman...

Maybe they might want to connect the dots between these facts:

Wade Wilson served as the QB coach for Chicago last season when Rex Grossman took them to the Super Bowl.

This year, Wade Wilson leaves and it is learned that he was the recipient of human growth hormone. The Commissioner doesn't buy his excuse and suspends him for 4 games (a punishment that those who are gullible enough to beleive Wilson's explanation use to suggest Goodell wasn't tough enough on Belichick)

In 2007 With his relationship with Wilson severed in his move to the Cowboys, and a league wide crackdown on HGH use, Grossman finds himself having a very poor season, and was benched this week in favor of Brian Griese.

I don't suppose our crack media hacks see any reason to question the circumstances in which a QB can go from the Super Bowl to the Bench in 3 games, do they?

In Grossman's defense, and I can hardly call it that, he was really bad last year, too, I thought they should have benched him for the Super Bowl.

Your holier-than-thou non-homer shtick is tiresome.

It's just how I feel. So get tired, what can I say. I find the homer shtick tiresome, and I find the "now can we get our rings" shtick tiresome. Both reek of justifications/excuses/whining to me, just as my own point of view looks sanctimonious to you.

Stick [to] your legitimate points:

1) We got caught red-handed and these other instances cited cannot be proven

2) The penalty given, while unprecedented, is within the legitimate range

I would add,
3) Regardless of justification, BB -- yes, OUR GUY! -- knew the league was on the lookout for this behavior and did it anyway.

I think the other side has some legit points too:

1) Public outcry (fueled by envy) and media sensationalism (fueled by money) was a driving factor in the level of punishment

Take note of the difference between what you consider my legitimate points and this one: none of the 3 points I made depend on subjective judgment. They are objective facts (unless you want to stretch the point and say "maybe BB didn't read the memo.")

Your first point is entirely speculative, albeit widely accepted within our own fan base. It is the diametric opposite of the point of view of many outside this fan base. I have seen no objective evidence that either is the case.

I will acknowledge that much other team/other fan reaction is envy-driven. I do not recognize your assertion that this envy, and the media's reaction to the story, dominated Goodell's thinking, any more than I can take on face value an assertion that a Pacman Jones was "railroaded by the press", or a Mike Vick was prosecuted "because he's black", on face value.

2) Our level of success over the years on the field, in FA, and in accumulating extra draft picks influenced Goodall to take a 1st round pick away rather than a lower round pick. Had we been the Dolphins, we probably would have lost a much lower pick.

This statement can not be substantiated objectively. I have read opinion to the effect that "it's almost like Goodell knew they had two number one picks [so it didn't really hurt the Pats/he's doing us favors.]" How do I tell which of you is objectively correct? It strikes me that both assertions are mere statements of opinion, akin to conspiracy theory: this assertion ties together all these facts (we are successful) with this outcome (we were penalized). There is just no reason to believe in a causal relationship.

The level of the penalty is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally -- and this may be in response to an earlier poster -- I mention the fact that the violation was an in-game infraction not to establish a perception of in-game use of the tape, which indeed this fact does not establish. I only mention it to establish the evidentiary difference between the Pats' case, and a writer reporting a rumor.

Time and place are tied to the physical evidence by the fact that they were apprehended in the act. Nobody has to "place them at the scene."

Thanks,

PFnV

Last edited:
It cost us a first round pick to get Belichick in the first place. What's another first rounder? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes