PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh, and the patriots are the cheaters right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Heres a story about what teams are doing with the radios.

"The coach said he knew of one team that equipped its backup quarterback with a device that allowed the backup to feed information to the starter after the 15-second cutoff."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3035449

And NE is out a 1st rounder for taping what can be seen from an entire stadium?
At least the writer added "None of these coaches implicated the Patriots"

It just pisses me off to no end that the NFL literally stole a #1 pick from us. The only good that came out of it was us finding out that Belichick is signed through 2013 :D

The reason we were fined and docked a draft pick is that we were caught red-handed. If and when the NFL gets solid evidence of another team cheating* I believe the punishment will be similar.

*Or breaking rules, or whatever description you prefer.

I agree...stole a pick..and Goodell?? sitting on his behind?? Why not investigating??? stealing picks from other teams..

It just pisses me off to no end that the NFL literally stole a #1 pick from us.

If it wasn't already clear, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the theft first round draft pick has as much to do with the Patriots acquiring AD, Moss, Welker, more 1st round picks, etc., etc. as it did with "cheating". I am pretty convinced that Badell and the league saw an opportunity to "level the playing field" against a team they perceived as a continuing threat against the NFL's obsessive-compulsive desire to achieve parity.

Last edited:
I agree...stole a pick..and Goodell?? sitting on his behind?? Why not investigating??? stealing picks from other teams..

Because the do-gooder is to busy kicking cheerleaders off the field at this time!

Goodell is an a-hole. Not condoning what the Patriots did, but its the NFL offices way of trying to create parity among the teams. I hope this idiot is consistent if a team gets caught doing this.

The reason we were fined and docked a draft pick is that we were caught red-handed. If and when the NFL gets solid evidence of another team cheating* I believe the punishment will be similar.

*Or breaking rules, or whatever description you prefer.

I don't believe that. The NFL shows absolutely no interest in investigating. When the Dolphins cheated last year, the NFL said "That's football." They showed no interest. That's why I think no one will ever be caught cheating again.

When Bob Costas asked Goodell how he planned to stop people from using high technology, such as hi powered binoculars equipped with videotaping, Goodell responded by saying that the Patriots did not use high-technology, but a simple videocamera out in the open.

Translation: you can cheat. Just be discrete.

If it wasn't already clear, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the theft first round draft pick has as much to do with the Patriots acquiring AD, Moss, Welker, more 1st round picks, etc., etc. as it did with "cheating". I am pretty convinced that Badell and the league saw an opportunity to "level the playing field" against a team they perceived as a continuing threat against the NFL's obsessive-compulsive desire to achieve parity.
It's funny, during the second half of the Jest game I said to my wife "imagine how the NFL feels to have the Patriots playing like this and then realize we have two #1s, a #2 and two #3s in next year's draft". Saying like that then realizing what happened is . . . spooky.

We broke the rules and should have paid for it with a high second day pick, no more. We're too loaded and the NFL swooped in like a thief in the night.

We can still have the last laugh, though, by winning it all then having a reasonably high #1 from SF. Where's the "middle finger" emoticon when you need it ? :rocker:

Pretty much spot on except substitute Badell with Napolian and you get the gold star!:D

We broke the rules and should have paid for it with a high second day pick, no more. We're too loaded and the NFL swooped in like a thief in the night.

We can still have the last laugh, though, by winning it all then having a reasonably high #1 from SF. Where's the "middle finger" emoticon when you need it ? :rocker:

I completely agree. I also think the sting of losing the #1 will lessen with time. As others have said, we can use that chunk of $$ elsewhere to help keep the team together.

I am pretty convinced that Badell and the league saw an opportunity to "level the playing field" against a team they perceived as a continuing threat against the NFL's obsessive-compulsive desire to achieve parity.
Cant argue with that, the picture of the guy everyone thought was the pats cameraman on the sideline was actually the jets camera man. but the jets couldn't afford to give up even a 7th rounder.. so lets just sweep that under the rug.

See now this is the kind of investigative journalism lead that should just fascinate some grassy knoll ESPN clown like Easterbrook.

"If you are a head coach and your job is in jeopardy, screw it," the offensive assistant said. "If you get two more wins, you save your job."

The coach said he knew of one team that equipped its backup quarterback with a device that allowed the backup to feed information to the starter after the 15-second cutoff.

The backup quarterback he cited is no longer in the league, and the head coach is working as an assistant. "

Just off the top of my head the suspects could include Haslett, Sherman, Martz and Tice - yeah the guy who once head coached Daunte Fumblepepper to co MVP... And our old pal Saban had a pair of former HC's manning his OC and DC positions. Who backed up Drew when he lit up the first half of 2003? Who backed up Warner back in the Greatest Shows heyday and before they moved Bulger up? And Gibbs employs 5 coordinator level/Asst HC coaches three of whom are former NFL HC's. Lots of 'Skins former backups are no longer in the league... Antenna issues, yeah right. ;)

I am so tired of this I want to puke.

You may have noticed that it was an in-game incident, in which evidence was available and obtained, which Goodell fined the Pats for, and took away our first round pick for.

You may have noticed that the majority of fan sites elsewhere, and the majority of fans of other teams and media douchebags, all say that the 500K/250K/1st rounder punishment has been too lenient.

Well which is it: Do we all know football (and ethics) so much better than the rest of the country, or are we at least as "pro-Patriots" as everybody else is "anti-patriots"?

I do know this:

A media report of a coach speaking on condition of anonymity is not a comparable evidentiary compilation, to a tape and a camera confiscated mid-game.

Get over it.

PFnV

I am so tired of this I want to puke.

You may have noticed that it was an in-game incident, in which evidence was available and obtained, which Goodell fined the Pats for, and took away our first round pick for.

You may have noticed that the majority of fan sites elsewhere, and the majority of fans of other teams and media douchebags, all say that the 500K/250K/1st rounder punishment has been too lenient.

Well which is it: Do we all know football (and ethics) so much better than the rest of the country, or are we at least as "pro-Patriots" as everybody else is "anti-patriots"?

I do know this:

A media report of a coach speaking on condition of anonymity is not a comparable evidentiary compilation, to a tape and a camera confiscated mid-game.

Get over it.

PFnV
It's cheating isn't it?? And the league investigated claims of the PATRIOTS use of interference and high tech things...should this NOT interest the league?? Goodell claims he's all for honesty and a level playing field....OR is that just BS??? SO where is the commish??

No, PatsFanInVa is absolutely right, this is a bunch of sour grapes from people who think being a fan means losing objectivity. The NFL can't just go in and start subpoenaing teams' video materials and records simply based on hearsay, they league and the teams have a contractual relationship and I'll bet dollars to donuts it contains some language akin to probable cause. If they can't get physical materials, what the hell are they going to investigate? You think they're just going to ask and all the coaches will own up to it? To quote something, I don't remember what, it doesn't matter what you know, it matters what you can prove.

With the Patriots, they were caught red-handed and deserved what they got - nothing more and nothing less. I would have been dissapointed if the league let them off with a slap on the wrist, not because I wanted us to lose our first round pick, but because it would have brought into question how serious the league is about enforcing its rules. Was the punishment the largest ever given by the league? Yup, but that's par for course with Goodell. He's stepping up the discipline as he's showed with his player suspensions, and while whether that's the wisest course of action is a good argument for another thread, it shows that it's not an anti-Patriots bias, it's a pro-strict-discipline bias.

The Miami comparison makes no sense, there were no rules broken, stop beating that horse. I bet comments like the ones in this thread get reposted on other teams' forums to make fun of how "irrational Patriots fans are", etc. If it were the Colts who'd been busted, can anyone imagine saying, "Indy was robbed by the NFL, they don't deserve to lose that first round pick"?

Last edited:
One funny thing about the article at the top of this thread: it's author, Mike Sando, knows something about cheating controversies... it was his work that Ron Borges plagiarized.

Mangini is a stoolpigeon .
What precipitated this hatred between Bill & The Stoolie ?
I'm sure Mangini at this point is talking to himself alot .
I can see him now in his rocking chair repeating " I'm the boss ... I'm the boss "

Where is the loss of objectivity....it is Goodell's words about honesty and fair play that I am questioning...and I think very legitimately asking those questions of him....
Firstly, is what was alleged fair play or honest?? If one thinks there is nothing wrong with that...so be it..BUT if that is something that is giving a team an advantage, is it NOT the Commish's obligation to investigate??
If the answer is no..then..really I think his words are totally empty AND it is quite obvious 'fair play' is NOT a concern.
I also think that MIGHT BE ODD for a Commish that has looked into sillier things AS an advantage. (I heard on EEI..I think Burton or Ordway said that one team had these high powered coolers for the sideline...and Goodell made sure if one side had those BOTH did. I tend to think THAT advantage is a bit smaller than NOT having that 15 sec shutoff.
And obviously..it is NOT the same as what happened with the Patriots..as that was a complaint by a team and a team caught redhanded. Nonetheless,
since this is alleged, I would HOPE that the Commish would look into it, possibly find a way to tell if teams ARE doing it...and spot check this throughout the season. The NFL controls the QB signals and such..and I AM SURE there is some technical way to check to see if teams are doing this.
No, they can not grab teams's videos and NO ONE is saying that or suggesting that, but being proactive and looking at it IS what Goodell should be doing.
Is it an advantge?? Is the Commish being dishonest if he does NOT look into it?? I think he is..IF that is an advantage..absolutely!!
It's cheating right??

Don't be such a lackey. Think for yourself. Considering there was no precedence for the punishment the Pats were given, what do YOU think was an appropriate fine? Or do you just always go along with what the powers that be hand down?

It raises the question, is it really fair to have a rule without a pre-determined penalty? Every rule, in a sense, has the ability to be broken if the breaker understands the consequences. I can speed if I'm willing to pay a fine. I can sell drugs if I'm willing to go to jail, etc. The Patriots were breaking a rule that they had NO IDEA the punishment would be, and no one in their right mind would ever think the punishment would be a first rounder, particularly in Belichick's mind, in which he was not breaking a rule, but bending one.

Goodell pulled the 1st round pick-penalty straight out of his rear. You seriously seem to have no interest in even putting your own judgment or opinion onto whether the penalty was fair. That makes me honestly fear for your general outlook on life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye