PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason talk - would you trade Chandler Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, if a team makes and offer you can not refuse, then sure. But if not, then I would try to negotiate new contracts with Hightower, Collins, and Jones, and leave the franchise tag for one of the three.

This Mayo talk is the same VW talk. Today he is a 6/7th round talent and it hurts to say easily replaceable. I know he is a leader and all of that stuff but he is not worth more than what a 5th round will get. Its sad but hes body is not the same anymore.

They should trade him for assets. One first and a 3rd will do it.
First of all, I doubt you will get a 1st rounder, let alone a 1st and a 3rd. Second, trading for a first round pick just means we will forfeit that one and drop back to #29. Unless you trade for a 2017 first rounder you won't get a high return for Jones even if somebody were willing to make that deal.

I mean, if a team makes and offer you can not refuse, then sure. But if not, then I would try to negotiate new contracts with Hightower, Collins, and Jones, and leave the franchise tag for one of the three.

CJ is locked for 2016, so i will try to negociate with Butler, Hightower and Collins. If the money is right nothing absurd i will sit with Jones and explain to him that he deserves a little bit more than Sheard and not the Miller money.

First of all, I doubt you will get a 1st rounder, let alone a 1st and a 3rd. Second, trading for a first round pick just means we will forfeit that one and drop back to #29. Unless you trade for a 2017 first rounder you won't get a high return for Jones even if somebody were willing to make that deal.

So a proven quality DE top 5 in sacks, 25 years old, 95%+ snaps, played 56/64 games is not worth a first round pick, but Percin Harvin is?

No, DEs are incredibly hard to find and especially one as talented as Jones

We are deep at DE. Sheard, Ninko, I want to see what Flowers and Grissom can give us next year, plus Rufus Johnson.

CJ is locked for 2016, so i will try to negociate with Butler, Hightower and Collins. If the money is right nothing absurd i will sit with Jones and explain to him that he deserves a little bit more than Sheard and not the Miller money.

Good point. I would also consider renegotiating with Sheard after the season he had.

We are deep at DE. Sheard, Ninko, I want to see what Flowers and Grissom can give us next year, plus Rufus Johnson.
Ninkovich is turning 32 and has shown signs of his ageing this year. You have to expect him to be a less effective player - either overall and/or in terms of snap count. Of the group you listed you only got one player who is guaranteed starting calibre with Sheard.

This Mayo talk is the same VW talk. Today he is a 6/7th round talent and it hurts to say easily replaceable. I know he is a leader and all of that stuff but he is not worth more than what a 5th round will get. Its sad but hes body is not the same anymore.

Cut him or see if we can trade him for a 6th/7th rounder.

Patriots traded Seymour to Raiders for 1st-rounder. Yeah its the Raiders, but still...

Jones is 25yrs old and a DE. I think some team will be interested. If not a 1st, maybe 2 2nds.

It's not as black and white as everyone seems to think. Pats are in great shape next year, but in 2017, there will be a lot critical guys becoming FAs. I'm no capologist, but I suspect it won't be possible to sign Hightower, Collins, Butler and Jones. Since it takes 2 to tango, the Pats will likely try to extend those they want the most before 2017. Even if Jones isn't one of the ones they most want to keep, one or more of the others may price themselves higher than the Pats believe they are worth. It's not black and white and many things can change before 2017.

Last edited:
Patriots traded Seymour to Raiders for 1st-rounder. Yeah its the Raiders, but still...

Jones is 25yrs old and a DE. I think some team will be interested. If not a 1st, maybe 2 2nds.
While Jones has the age thing going for him compared to Seymour, Seymour had a far bigger accomplishment list compared to Jones. At the time of his trade Seymour was a three-time first team All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowler.

Got it. Based on life.

He could get his **** broken no doubt, just like any other QB or player. There is no evidence for physical decline. Zero.

Not for a few more years, Brady takes good care of himself, but Father time is undefeated. Brady's time will also come sooner if they have subpar OL play like this season.

Cut:

Mayo
Vollmer
Cannon
Amendola
Lafell

Offseason is simple IMO. Hit the reset button at tackle besides Solder and WR besides Edelman.

Vollmer is their best RT by a wide margin. When Solder (who is much better at LT than Vollmer is) comes back healthy, the tackles will be significantly upgraded from this year.

I love Chandler Jones, but if they could get a 2nd rounder and a younger, unproven player with upside for him, I'd pull the trigger.

This team is all about the offensive line. If they play well, the Patriots simply don't lose. If they get overrun by simple 3 and 4 man rushes, the Patriots will struggle.

Most teams can't overrun the Pats' OL with just 3 or 4 guys. It isn't common. But when it does happen, the Pats have a hard time winning. The Jets have been able to do it from time to time. Miami did it this year.

The amazing thing is that even when teams DO accomplish this, the Patriots STILL find ways to be *thisclose* to winning. I mean yesterday, they out gained Denver 233 yards to 79 in the second half and had four red zone opportunities to just one for Denver, and were RIGHT THERE at the end. Despite Brady taking more hits than any QB ever.

But yes, the OL needs to be improved - that's job #1.

Vollmer last year all pro tackle? LOL.
I will redo Amendola before create another need...

My moves for 2016 according to overthecap now we have $4,022,156
Being optimistc

Cut Mayo
Extend Sheard for 4 years! Same money lammar houst got 5/35
Extend Amendola for 1 year 3/13
Cut Cannon
Cut Lafell
Cut Scott Chandler
Cut Aaron Dobson
Cut Leonard Johnson
Extend Branch 1 year 3/7
Extend Hicks 3/10
ERFA Coleman
ERFA Fleming
ERFA King
RFA Devlin
Extend Hightower 5/43
Extend Collins 5/41
Trade Chandler Jones
ERFA Rufus Johnson

Cap Space: $16,919,754

2017 most important FA: Vollmer + Matt Slater + Ninkovich = cheap quality guys! + Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back