PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats UDFA signing discussion [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official Pats UDFA signing discussion [mergedx2]

Didnt have time to go through the whole thread, does anyone know if Jeremiah Johnson from Oregon was drafted and or signed with somebody as a UDFA?

Johnson wasn't drafted. He was signed by the Texans

Seems odd that Appleby wasn't drafted. He had character issues, right?

I don't know what the deal was with Appleby, but he signed with us. Jermail Porter, the wrestler from Kent State, also signed. I'm pleased with both pick ups.

Jamar Love is a sleeper I'd hoped we'd bring into camp. Actually, as corny as it sounds, I was hoping our last two picks would be Devin Moore and Jamar Love, so we could finish off our draft with Moore Love. *snickers*

Is that how you got the name reamer?

How the hell could his guys drop 73 balls thats crazy

The Pats signed Jamar Love - Arkansas, Eric Katani (FB) and Tyree Barnes (WR) both of Navy.

Didn't we go through a FB from Navy already?

Chris Baker is a DE in a 3-4, not a DT.

The Pats signed Jamar Love - Arkansas, Eric Katani (FB) and Tyree Barnes (WR) both of Navy.

Didn't we go through a FB from Navy already?

Kyle Eckel, now with the Iggles.

The Patriots have signed former Michigan State quarterback Brian Hoyer to a free-agent deal, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The Free Press includes comments from Hoyer, through his marketing representative:

"While it would have been great to get drafted, I’m looking forward to joining the New England Patriots," Hoyer said. "They made it clear to me that I’ll have an opportunity to compete, and I’m honored that such a great franchise will give me that chance.”

Navy fullback Eric Kettani and receiver Tyree Barnes have agreed to rookie free-agent contracts with the Patriots, according to the Annapolis Capital.

Bill Wagner blogs the news this morning:

Kettani, a 6-foot-1, 233-pound fullback, ranks eighth on Navy's all-time rushing list with 2,091 career yards. Barnes, a 6-foot-2, 197-pound wide receiver, led the Midshipmen with 20 receptions for 400 yards last season. New England was one of four NFL teams that came to the Naval Academy this month to work out Kettani and Barnes ...

Kentucky safety Marcus McClinton has agreed to a rookie free-agent deal with the Patriots, the Leaf Chronicle newspaper reports.

Jimmy Trodglen writes:

McClinton was in Lexington, Ky. over the weekend taking in Saturday's UK spring football game. He had a strong showing in the NFL Combine and the UK Pro Day, and had spoken with 22 of the league's teams leading up to the draft. If he makes the cut, McClinton would be the first player from the Fort Campbell/Clarksville area to play for an NFL team since Harry Galbreath played into the late '90s, owning stops with the Dolphins, Jets and Packers.

All from Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com and http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/27/undrafted-free-agents/

So that makes a total of six guys (right?) :D

-Michigan State QB Brian Hoyer
-Navy FB Eric Kettani
-Navy WRTyree Barnes
-Kentucky SMarcus McClinton
-Arkansas CB Jamar Love
-Virginia LB Antonio Appleby

Last edited:
Re: Pats sign UDFA QB Brian Hoyer, Michigan State

I wish we got Drew Willy QB UB (only because I go to school there)

PATRIOTS TO SIGN ANOTHER... WRESTLER. Kent State's Jermail Porter

Sorry is this was posted and I missed it...

Ohio.com - No experience necessary: KSU's Porter going to Patriots

Pasted because the site BLOWS.

Just one month ago Kent State senior wrestler Jermail Porter earned All-American status at the 2009 NCAA Championships in St. Louis, The first Kent State wrestler to do so since 1986.

It was what happened the week leading up to the finals though that changed his future.

Kent State assistant football coach Larry McDaniel approached the former Firestone High School graduate about playing professional football after his college-wrestling career ended.

''It was unexpected for me,'' Porter said in a phone interview. ''It's a new adventure.''

Apparently the New England Patriots had the same thoughts about the 6-foot-6, 312-pound heavyweight. Porter has reached an agreement with the Patriots as a non-drafted free agent, and potential offensive lineman.

The deal is not official yet, as Porter, who is waiting for the contract to be mailed to him. He is already scheduled to participate in the Patriot's rookie camp Thursday through Sunday.

The Patriots could not be a better fit for Porter, who said he has always been interested in playing football, but never played for an organized team; college, high school, or otherwise.

Patriots starting guard Stephen Neal is a former college wrestler, who did not play college football. Neal won two NCAA titles at Cal State-Bakersfield and won the Dan Hodge Award, Wrestling's Heisman Trophy, in 1999.

''It is one of the things I am so excited because they have such good teachers there,'' Porter said.

It doesn't hurt that he and Neal share the same agent in Neil Cornrich.

For the past several weeks Porter has been working with the Kent State football staff in preparation for the draft.

''The training wasn't that different, just fine tuning the mechanics from wrestling to football,'' Porter said. ''Most of it is stuff I am already equipped to do from wrestling.''

Last edited:
Re: PATRIOTS TO SIGN ANOTHER... WRESTLER. Kent State's Jermail Porter

Right on; I just saw this a little while ago, and I'm excited about it. I'm not Neal's biggest fan, but that's only because of durability issues. When he's healthy, the OL gets significantly better. If, down the line, we can get another Neal-type producer out of this guy, that could be huge for us.

Last edited:
Re: PATRIOTS TO SIGN ANOTHER... WRESTLER. Kent State's Jermail Porter

Huh. I wonder if I should know who this guy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back